Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Non JMB Compensation Expectation for Downgraded Aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Just flew JL 61 from LAX to NRT in business. Originally scheduled to be a 77W with lie flat Sky Suite seats, 23" IFE etc. Instead we flew a 772 with angle-flat seats, tiny IFE.

They did provide complaint forms proactively at LAX, which was a nice gesture. However looking at the form, the compensation options are either 1), JMB Miles, or 2), coupons (sort of cash) for future JAL flights.

I flew on AA awards as an AA EXP (OWE), so not sure what to expect. Anyone have any insights?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just flew JL 61 from LAX to NRT in business. Originally scheduled to be a 77W with lie flat Sky Suite seats, 23" IFE etc. Instead we flew a 772 with angle-flat seats, tiny IFE.

They did provide complaint forms proactively at LAX, which was a nice gesture. However looking at the form, the compensation options are either 1), JMB Miles, or 2), coupons (sort of cash) for future JAL flights.

I flew on AA awards as an AA EXP (OWE), so not sure what to expect. Anyone have any insights?
I got 15.000 miles for two hours of non working IFE in F.

So I would guess somewhere around that in JMB miles. I would also guess that they can send the same amount to your AA account. Though the value of 15.000 miles are quite different in the two programs.

But this is just me speculating....
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Oh, no. I don't like the sounds of that at all.

Anyone have any data as to how often that happens on this particular flight?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Oh, no. I don't like the sounds of that at all.

Anyone have any data as to how often that happens on this particular flight?
https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/jl61
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
^ Thanks! Very helpful. So only once in the last eight days.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwalsh
^ Thanks! Very helpful. So only once in the last eight days.
I would not expect it to happen unless one of the 77W goes tech, and no replacement 77W is available.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer

Most airlines won't compensate you in this case. It's just a config change and they flew you from your origin to the destination with the class of service you purchased. So I wouldn't expect much.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:53 am

Same thing here. No miles, no apologies.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
Most airlines won't compensate you in this case. It's just a config change and they flew you from your origin to the destination with the class of service you purchased. So I wouldn't expect much.
Originally Posted by jgchiker
Same thing here. No miles, no apologies.
I would normally agree with both of you, but I had a JAL staff member show up personally at the QF F lounge, apologizing and providing my wife and I JAL complaint forms to fill because JL was not meeting expectations on the aircraft accommodations. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:58 am

Indeed I have never filled any form. I have heard it gets reflected somehow in your account.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Indeed I have never filled any form. I have heard it gets reflected somehow in your account.
Indeed, they will deposit the compensation miles to your account....
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Uffda. I have JAL NRT<>LAX in F coming up this week, so I sure hope this constitutes the whole of their equipment changes on this route...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NavSTL
Uffda. I have JAL NRT<>LAX in F coming up this week, so I sure hope this constitutes the whole of their equipment changes on this route...
I am sure if they had planned it, you would have been contacted already....
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Oh, I understand that, and the schedule still has it as 77W. It's just a bad surprise to contemplate.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:42 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Except this type of switch usually is unplanned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.