Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on odd routing ( revenue ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Question on odd routing ( revenue ticket)

I am doing preliminary research on JAL options from the US west coast to either Tokyo or Osaka for a future trip. I am thinking of booking one way in Business Class as a revenue ticket, as it appears the cost is reasonable and we will have cash award points to use. We do not have an actual trip planned so do not know which airport would be more convenient.

I have been to Japan before and know we will want to visit Osaka for sure. So Instarted with searching LAX to Osaka. All the flights listed had a connection through one of the Tokyo airports; no direct flights were offered at all.

Then I searched LAX to Tokyo, and direct flights were offered on both JAL and AA. There was also a flight with connection through---guess where--- Osaka. Flight JL69, direct from LAX to Osaka.

I went back to look at LAX to Osaka for different days and flight 69 would never show up.

The other off thing was that when I searched from SFO, all the flights offered started with a connecting flight on AA or a subsidiary down to LAX. No direct flights from SFO to Tokyo. Yet among the flights offered when I searched from LAX to Tokyo were flights that started with a flight on AA up to SFO to connect with Flight JL 1 direct from SFO to Tokyo.

Can anyone explain this? I thought that since I am looking at revenue tickets rather than award seats, all flight options should be available.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by enzian; Jun 8, 2017 at 12:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Where did you do the search? I had no problem pulling those flights from ar.jal.com
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Are you searching for ITM instead of KIX or OSA for the airport code?

https://goo.gl/flights/gr86
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I was using the JL website (US version) so ar.jal.com and entered "Tokyo" and " Osaka" instead of airport codes so it would show both airports in each location. So it was OSA and whatever stands for Tokyo (all airports).

Last edited by enzian; Jun 8, 2017 at 4:51 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by enzian
I was using the JL website (US version) so ar.jal.com and entered "Tokyo" and " Osaka" instead of airport codes so it would show both airports in each location. So it was OSA and whatever stands for Tokyo (all airports).
Either you missed the option or flight was full when you searched. JL069 was listed as the last option when I did a dummy search.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Im on some very slow connection and i dont have your dates. Try search on google flights as i see it works quite well recently. Mind you, the flight ure looking for is sfo-hnd
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

It is possible I did not scroll all the way down, but Insaw 16 flights at least. I assumed direct flights would be listed first.

I doubt they are sold out as I have been using dates in next April and May in my dummy booking search.

I'll keep trying and make sure I see all the flights offered.

Are the prices I am seeing---around $2400 US for one-way in Business Class---pretty typical or is that some kind of special price? Is it best to buy way in advance?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by enzian
It is possible I did not scroll all the way down, but Insaw 16 flights at least. I assumed direct flights would be listed first.

I doubt they are sold out as I have been using dates in next April and May in my dummy booking search.

I'll keep trying and make sure I see all the flights offered.

Are the prices I am seeing---around $2400 US for one-way in Business Class---pretty typical or is that some kind of special price? Is it best to buy way in advance?
I don't usually search for one-way but I have seen lower price based on round trip ticket, i.e. you divide the total by half.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Perhaps it's a married segment issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.