Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Original route credit for missed JAL flight [Resolved: JAL granted credit].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Super Flyers, JAL Global Club

First time poster. Would really appreciate your insight for "original route credit" for missed JAL flights.

Have been dealing with Qatar/JAL for about 2 weeks without success.

Had an itinerary booked through Qatar with the last leg on JL022, PEK-HND.
Upon arrival to Beijing airport, I was handed a boarding pass on CA183 PEK-HND (The guy handing out boarding passes could not share much information in English). I assumed that they put me on this flight because of delayed arrival to Beijing.

March 27, DOH-PEK, QR892:
Scheduled arrival to Beijing 14:55 → actual arrival time 16:02

March 27, missed flight PEK-HND, JL022 (scheduled for departure at 16:30)

The response from Qatar privilege club I got was:
"In order to claim these flights to your Japan Airlines’ membership account, we request you to contact them directly, as they are authorised to credit your account."

Then when reaching out to JMB, they have spent 2 weeks looking in to this matter, and today they declined to give any miles/FOP, because I did not board that JL022 flight.

Is this end of story, or did somebody else have success with receiving original route credit for missed JAL flight?

Trying to reach JMB Sapphire this year so all FOP helps.

Thanks.
(sorry if somebody already posted this question, but I couldn't find this specific case by searching)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:34 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JMB declined the credit so I am not sure what else you could do here.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Original route credit on JMB that I have experienced applies when a JL marketed flight is cancelled and you are transferred to another airline.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

So to avoid any scenarios like this in the future, what is the best way to deal with it?

-Refuse to board a non OW/JL replacement flight (is this even possible?)
-Only book JL marketed flight (instead of QR marketed in this case)
-Make sure the connection time is long enough in case of delays (only 1 hour 35 min in this case)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by fiskebyxa

So to avoid any scenarios like this in the future, what is the best way to deal with it?

-Make sure the connection time is long enough in case of delays (only 1 hour 35 min in this case)
Refuse the reroute on CA.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

In this case it may have been more difficult, as they already had a boarding pass for you. But yes, if there is time go to the transfer desk and discuss options with them. Maybe the CA option was the more attractive one as it might have saved you a night in China?
As your flight was booked (at least that's how are read your post) with flight number JL22, it was JL marketed. Sold by QR, buut sold as a JL flight. To be QR marketed it should carry the QR code.
I regularly book 1:35 or less connections. Of course it depends a bit on the airport and the flow, but generally I don't worry about that length.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.
I have learned a valuable lesson for next time for sure.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/travel/flight/jal.html

Ineligibility for Mileage Accrual

When the flight is not boarded for any reason, including due to flight delay or cancellation
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/121/jr/int_flight_register.html

Post Flight Credit For JAL International Flights / JMB Partner Airlines Flights

The following post flight credit requests are only acceptable by mail within 6 months after your flight date.
-When you were transferred involuntarily from the originally booked flight into JMB partner airline's flight eligible for the mileage accumulation due to the delay, cancellation, etc.
So, at least, you have to be transferred into JMB partner airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
That's for post flight credit on flights you involuntarily took not original routing credits.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Follow up:

The phone calls with JMB around end of April ended with them telling me to mail boarding pass and copy of itinerary to JMB, which I did.

Today, I received FOP and mileage for this missed flight.

Not sure why I received ORC in the end, but seems like JMB can be a bit flexible in cases like this after all.

^^^
Old May 26, 2017, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Follow up:

The phone calls with JMB around end of April ended with them telling me to mail boarding pass and copy of itinerary to JMB, which I did.

Today, I received FOP and mileage for this missed flight.

Not sure why I received ORC in the end, but seems like JMB can be a bit flexible in cases like this after all.

^^^
congratulations for your persistance, and that you werent put off by dismissive comments here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.