Wiki Posts
Search

Question about domestic connections on JAL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Question about domestic connections on JAL

I'm planning a trip to Sapporo via Tokyo from either HKG or TPE. I have a few questions below:

1) It seems it will be cheaper if I purchase domestic segments using the "Domestic Fare for Overseas Visitor" program. One segment seems like its only USD100+++.

Does this fare earn Asiamiles? Will I earn Marco Polo club points if I fly business/ first class?

2) When I try to book some domestic flights via Tokyo, the JAL booking system gives me split airport connections (e.g., arriving in NRT, then departing for the domestic leg via HND about 3-4 hours later). Is this doable?

3) What would be the advantage of booking all flights under a single ticket, as opposed to using the "Domestic Fare for Overseas Visitor" program?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hikouki
I'm planning a trip to Sapporo via Tokyo from either HKG or TPE. I have a few questions below:

1) It seems it will be cheaper if I purchase domestic segments using the "Domestic Fare for Overseas Visitor" program. One segment seems like its only USD100+++.

Does this fare earn Asiamiles? Will I earn Marco Polo club points if I fly business/ first class?

2) When I try to book some domestic flights via Tokyo, the JAL booking system gives me split airport connections (e.g., arriving in NRT, then departing for the domestic leg via HND about 3-4 hours later). Is this doable?

3) What would be the advantage of booking all flights under a single ticket, as opposed to using the "Domestic Fare for Overseas Visitor" program?
1) more a question for the CX forum...

2) should be fine. But both HKG and Taipei (though TSA rather than TPE) are well connected to HND, so it should be possible to get a HND to HND connection.

3) I don't really see any. The overseas visitor tickets should be linked to your international reservation. They require an international reservation.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:28 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1) more a question for the CX forum...

2) should be fine. But both HKG and Taipei (though TSA rather than TPE) are well connected to HND, so it should be possible to get a HND to HND connection.

3) I don't really see any. The overseas visitor tickets should be linked to your international reservation. They require an international reservation.
There is. Passenger can book in class J or domestic F if it is on the same PNR as long as you are willing to pay for it. Yokoso is booked in Economy class only, you can't upgrade in advance by paying cash.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
Yokoso is booked in Economy class only, you can't upgrade in advance by paying cash.
Can Yokoso fare be upgraded by class J coupon in advance ?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
No, upgrade on Yokoso fare is available on the day of the flight and at the airport only.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:07 pm

Yes
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes
I did not know that you can get advanced conformation. I thought can only be done at the airport on the day of the flight. Something new I learned.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I did not know that you can get advanced conformation. I thought can only be done at the airport on the day of the flight. Something new I learned.
Not everyone can do it
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:51 pm

Not everyone can do it
I am wondering how can apply J Coupon to Yokoso Fare. Yokoso Fare is booked in international reservation system, not in domestic reservation system. Is there way to apply J e-Coupon on Yokoso Fare online?

I know J e-Coupon can be exchanged to physical paper J Coupon. For that you actually have to go to airport ticket counter to exchange J Coupon and get confirmed reservation in Class J. Is this the way to get advance confirmed reservation in Class J using J Coupon on Yokoso Fare?

P.S.:
Yes, I know some rules about J Coupons. J Coupons is given to JAL Mileage Bank members with mailing address in Japan. J Coupons can be used my JAL Mileage Bank members, member’s: spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, and grandchildren.

So, Wasabi Tofu him/herself have to be flying on international flight to/from Japan where ticket was issued outside of Japan to qualify for Yokoso Fare, or above relatives are flying on Yokoso Fare…

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jun 20, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:43 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I have called JMB and they were able to apply the coupon for me for a domestic segment on an international reservation. I assume this applies for First Class coupons as well.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
If you want to get more FOP, you can pay class J fare difference(1000JPY) at the airport counter even you have booked by class J coupon.

Not Yokoso fare case, but in popular MR route such as OKA-HND-SIN-HND-OKA case, you can book class J for OKA-HND segements in advance by J coupon.
Practically, this earns 196FOP(984 OKA-HND x 10% J bonus x domestic double FOP) by 1000JPY (5.1JPY/FOP).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:44 pm

If you want to get more FOP, you can pay class J fare difference(1000JPY) at the airport counter even you have booked by class J coupon.

Not Yokoso fare case, but in popular MR route such as OKA-HND-SIN-HND-OKA case, you can book class J for OKA-HND segements in advance by J coupon.
Practically, this earns 196FOP(984 OKA-HND x 10% J bonus x domestic double FOP) by 1000JPY (5.1JPY/FOP).
Let's not hijack this thread and turn that into Yokoso or Class J hacking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.