Wiki Posts
Search

Worth it to connect to get F over J?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

I'm looking to use AA miles before their big devaluation in a week, and I have two possible itineraries:

1. BOS-NRT in J on a 787 for 50k miles
2. BOS-JFK-NRT, with JFK-NRT in F on a 777 for 62.5k miles.

The extra 12.5k miles is not a big deal to me, but I'm curious if people think it's worth going through the terminal change at JFK to get F over J. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:33 pm

first class is a big step up from business. I would do it
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I would go with F also.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
Definitely F. I think JAL has one of the most refined F products out there. I just flew it again two weeks ago. There's an almost perfect balance to JL F that I don't find on other airlines. Welcoming and gracious, personal without being cloying, with attention to little details. Order coffee and they'll bring a cafe presse with this little hourglass timer to tell you when to push the plunger.

The other factor would be when you're going. I think BOS-NRT now operates with a 788 with the shell neo seat, which isn't a great product. It changes later in the year to the 789 with the new SkySuite, which is a great biz product.

Also, remember that after March 22, that 62.5 redemption goes way up, so if there's availability, this is the last time you'll be able to grab any top tier long haul Asian F for just 62.5.

The terminal change isn't that big a deal. Just give yourself enough time. Don't take a flight that just eeks out over the minimum connection time. If there's a weather problem, like a summer thunderstorm, JFK can become a delay nightmare. Security at Terminal 1, even using the premium class line, can be slow.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Just came off JL F NRT-SYD on the 777-300 after having flown JL J DFW-NRT a few days earlier on the 788. The SS8 suite on the 788 is truly an excellent J product, especially the window seats. Food and service were also stellar, with one FA in particular who was amazing. I only hope to do that again someday soon.

But the F experience on the 777-300 was, well, I hardly know where to begin. Or end. Spend the extra 12.5K miles, endure the connection, then forget all of that after a few dozen graciously welcoming smiles and a couple glasses of Salon.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Thanks everyone! It would have been a 6 hour layover in JFK, so plenty of time. But someone else snatched the available award seat before I did, so now I'm hoping something in F opens up. D'oh!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Yes. In fact, Hell, Yes.
JL often has late F availability, check often near the date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.