Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will switch to use the QF lounge at HKG from Dec 1 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://www.hk.jal.com/hkl/en/hkg_qf_lounge.html

Japan Airlines is pleased to announce that lounge services at Hong Kong International Airport will be entrusted to The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge from 1 December 2015.

Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:00 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Good but I'm just thinking - who doesn't get to visit the QF lounge under the existing OW lounge agreement already?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Good but I'm just thinking - who doesn't get to visit the QF lounge under the existing OW lounge agreement already?
Those using JAL lounge coupons
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Ah I see. A boon for them then!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by percysmith
By contracting with QF for lounge services, it could mean that the cost to JAL for having their pax use the QF lounge anyway under the oneworld agreement is lower. Under the oneworld agreement, QF would charge JAL for each pax using the lounge. This could change that to a flat amount for access.
It also means that JAL gets some Japanese style menu items into the QF lounge, at least around the times of JAL flights, as is done at the AA ORD Flagship lounge prior to the JL flight.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:27 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Does this mean JL is moving to use gates closer to the QF lounge? I believe they mostly use gates in the mid-20s now.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Does this mean JL is moving to use gates closer to the QF lounge? I believe they mostly use gates in the mid-20s now.
JL used mid-10s gate near QF lounge last few times I flew on JL026. But even the mid 20s isn't that far away
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Looks like it be serving Japanese curry rice and udon
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: JL/Emerald, NH*G, DL/ElitePlus, HHonors G
I always use the CX Pier. Is QF first any better? lol

Last edited by reimondo; Nov 30, 2015 at 7:58 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
This is very timely for me. I have a flight in Jan, JL736 HKG-NRT.

As an AA EXP, I have used the F section of the Pier Business class lounge while the Pier F lounge was closed. I was planning to check out the new Pier F lounge, but if the QF lounge sounds similar, I may check out QF before checking out the Pier.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
This is very timely for me. I have a flight in Jan, JL736 HKG-NRT.

As an AA EXP, I have used the F section of the Pier Business class lounge while the Pier F lounge was closed. I was planning to check out the new Pier F lounge, but if the QF lounge sounds similar, I may check out QF before checking out the Pier.
When you have access to the F lounge, the Wing or the Pier is better than QF. But the QF lounge is worth a visit for sure. Maybe a bit of lounge hopping?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
When you have access to the F lounge, the Wing or the Pier is better than QF. But the QF lounge is worth a visit for sure. Maybe a bit of lounge hopping?
The Pier is quite far away from JAL gates.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by reimondo
I always use the CX Pier. Is QF first any better? lol
The QF lounge isn't an F lounge (nor is it a J lounge - it's sort of in between). It's a joint lounge like the QF SIN lounge.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-hong-kong-lounge-review
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:31 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
The food at QF is really good. If you have access only to J lounges, I'd say QF J is better than CX J.

I *think* the QF lounge is way too big for QF. I wonder if QF might have wanted someone to contract their lounge from the beginning.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by swy
The food at QF is really good. If you have access only to J lounges, I'd say QF J is better than CX J.

I *think* the QF lounge is way too big for QF. I wonder if QF might have wanted someone to contract their lounge from the beginning.
It's the same amount of floor space that they had when QF and BA had a joint venture with joint QF/BA lounges in HKG, SIN and BKK and when QF had more flights though HKG, including flights to/from PER, ADL and LHR. Now, QF only has 25 flights/week to HKG (soon to be 28) from MEL, SYD and BNE.

A number of other airlines contract to use the lounge. The QF flights are in HKG in the late afternoon/evening. The lounge is open almost all day (0930-2330), the HKG lounge is open longer then the SIN lounge where QF has more flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.