Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

AA codeshare on JAL: baggage xfer HND to NRT ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP

Hi I am on an AA codeshare on JAL flying to ICN with a layover in Tokyo. I arrive in Tokyo @ HND but depart Tokyo from NRT. If I check luggage, will it get xfer from HND to NRT ?

SFO-HND-NRT-ICN-NRT-LAX-SFO

Thanks and Cheers,
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
There are no baggage transfer from HND to NRT. Or vice versa. You will have to pick up your luggage and bring it yourself.

Easiest option with baggage to go from airport to airport is the limousine bus, departs more or less every 15 minutes, and takes 1.5 to 2 hours. Trains are also an option, there are a few direct trains, but most will require a chance or two along the way.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Thanks CPH-Flyer. I searched both the JAL and AA forums but didnt find anything.

I have a 10 hour layover and am going into Tokyo for some food and shopping. Guess I am using a backpack and packing light. Its just 2 nights in Seoul.

Cheers,
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Take the trains to Tokyo station and store your luggage there, then it is fairly strategically placed to continue on to Narita with the Narita Express. And shopping and dining time will be easier.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GumboCook
Hi I am on an AA codeshare on JAL flying to ICN with a layover in Tokyo. I arrive in Tokyo @ HND but depart Tokyo from NRT. If I check luggage, will it get xfer from HND to NRT ?

SFO-HND-NRT-ICN-NRT-LAX-SFO

Thanks and Cheers,
Is there a reason why you do not wish to fly HND-GMP? If Seoul is your final destination, GMP is much closer to Seoul than ICN because GMP used to be the domestic airport of Seoul. JL flies HND-GMP about 3 times a day. This way, you can check your luggage all the way thru from SFO to GMP and you will be luggage free to sight see in Tokyo for a bit. Also, NRT is very far from Tokyo. Without traffic, the driving time is about 90 minutes. So if you go to Tokyo then head to NRT, you need to budget your time wisely + carrying luggage + potential traffic delays and if it's your first time in Japan or if you don't speak Japanese -- that's can be overwhelming. Most people don't speak English so if you run into problems, it can be difficult to make yourself understood.

You should consider modifying your trip as follows: SFO-HND-GMP-HND-SFO

I cut down your number of flights from 6 to 4 and you will be closer to city center in both Tokyo and Seoul.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Take the trains to Tokyo station and store your luggage there, then it is fairly strategically placed to continue on to Narita with the Narita Express. And shopping and dining time will be easier.
I would recommend against luggage storage at Tokyo station. OP should store his luggage inside the paid area of Shinagawa station when arriving from Narita, he can then transfer to other areas of Tokyo. when heading to Haneda, OP only need to take JR to Shinagawa, take the luggage then transfer to Keikyu line train towards Haneda.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I would recommend against luggage storage at Tokyo station. OP should store his luggage inside the paid area of Shinagawa station when arriving from Narita, he can then transfer to other areas of Tokyo. when heading to Haneda, OP only need to take JR to Shinagawa, take the luggage then transfer to Keikyu line train towards Haneda.
Except he is arriving from Haneda and heading to Narita. My first choice would have been Shinagawa if heading to Haneda. But Shinagawa will be a fair amount of back tracking from most shopping areas before heading to Narita. I would not worry to much about storing inside the ticketed areas compared to outside.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the tips.
AA had a sale for $649, so that's why I am flying that routing.
I was looking at the area around Seoul, and saw GMP. Today AA put SFO-GMP on sale, but I already bought my ticket. But that also requires HND to NRT xfer.

Dont speak Japanese, but I have been to Tokyo a couple of times and can manage to get around and do what I need to do.
Last Feb I arrived NRT and departed HND. So, yes I like HND much better.

I found Tokyo station to be quite huge when I was looking for Ramen street.
Where is the left luggage place ?

cheers,
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GumboCook
Thanks to all for the tips.
AA had a sale for $649, so that's why I am flying that routing.
I was looking at the area around Seoul, and saw GMP. Today AA put SFO-GMP on sale, but I already bought my ticket. But that also requires HND to NRT xfer.

Dont speak Japanese, but I have been to Tokyo a couple of times and can manage to get around and do what I need to do.
Last Feb I arrived NRT and departed HND. So, yes I like HND much better.

I found Tokyo station to be quite huge when I was looking for Ramen street.
Where is the left luggage place ?

cheers,
There are direct train connections from ICN to downtown Seoul, of course depending on where you stay they vary in efficiency. But a reasonably quick.

"Quite" is unnecessary in the description of Tokyo Station. It is plain and simple huge. :-) There are several locations, they are reasonably signposted in English. But I can't on top of my head explain your way around Tokyo station. It is not one of my frequent stations.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

There are direct train connections from ICN to downtown Seoul, of course depending on where you stay they vary in efficiency. But a reasonably quick.

"Quite" is unnecessary in the description of Tokyo Station. It is plain and simple huge. :-) There are several locations, they are reasonably signposted in English. But I can't on top of my head explain your way around Tokyo station. It is not one of my frequent stations.
Thanks for the recommendation. Found all the info I need on Tokyo station online. Staying at the Park Hyatt Seoul which is 1 min from the subway. time to research that.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
There are no baggage transfer from HND to NRT. Or vice versa. You will have to pick up your luggage and bring it yourself.

Easiest option with baggage to go from airport to airport is the limousine bus, departs more or less every 15 minutes, and takes 1.5 to 2 hours. Trains are also an option, there are a few direct trains, but most will require a chance or two along the way.
Yes the bus is an excellent option. Check the schedule online to coordinate with arrivals and departures. Flight today into HND and out of NRT with arrival at 6AM and departure at 11AM. The flight arrived 15-30 minutes early and so caught the 6:25AM bus with an arrival at NRT by 8AM. The next bus departed at 7:40AM. 2-3 hours for breakfast and a shower and the JAL First Class lounge is a nice option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.