Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Rumor: JL to restart KIX-LAX in 2015? [Now Confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: JL to restart KIX-LAX in 2015? [Now Confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:50 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Exclamation Rumor: JL to restart KIX-LAX in 2015? [Now Confirmed]

The Nikkei published a short article (Japanese) in yesterday's Kansai edition claiming that JL intends to restart service between KIX and LAX by 2015 after a 9-year suspension.

Interesting news, if true. Discussion on some of the Japanese boards say that JL would most likely also add service to SIN to make effective use of the two aircraft required to restart service to LAX.

Edit: this report from NHK says JL is also considering flights to LON, but the primary stumbling block has been a lack of trained pilots.

Last edited by armagebedar; Jan 23, 2014 at 7:37 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:06 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
The Nikkei published a short article (Japanese) in yesterday's Kansai edition claiming that JL intends to restart service between KIX and LAX by 2015 after a 9-year suspension.

Interesting news, if true. Discussion on some of the Japanese boards say that JL would most likely also add service to SIN to make effective use of the two aircraft required to restart service to LAX.
It's outlined in the press release issued yesterday that JL intends to start new service from KIX and NGO. KIX-LAX is also my guess too. For NGO, NGO-CDG could be a candidate too.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
KIX-LAX seems like a great route for the 787.

Originally Posted by JALPak
For NGO, NGO-CDG could be a candidate too.
Any particular reason for CDG? I'd imagine that AY has Europe pretty much covered out of NGO, and NGO-LAX/ORD would probably be viable 787 routes given auto industry demand (granted they didn't work for AA and UA, but those carriers were using larger planes with more premium capacity that didn't get filled).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
KIX-LAX seems like a great route for the 787.

Any particular reason for CDG? I'd imagine that AY has Europe pretty much covered out of NGO, and NGO-LAX/ORD would probably be viable 787 routes given auto industry demand (granted they didn't work for AA and UA, but those carriers were using larger planes with more premium capacity that didn't get filled).
NGO-CDG only because it was operated by JL before. Seems like they are reinstating some of the suspended flights now.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by JALPak
Seems like they are reinstating some of the suspended flights now.
I hope they resume some JP-AU flights outside NRT-SYD.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
I wonder if this is JL's strategy to deal with NH getting so many of the new HND slots -- NH will be dedicating its resources/aircraft to new HND routes, so JL will try to capture the demand to/from elsewhere in Japan...

-S
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Nikkei is now reporting that KIX-LAX might start this winter which resulted to an almost 2% jump in JL's stock price.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLAS...4A810C1LDA000/
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by musashino22
Nikkei is now reporting that KIX-LAX might start this winter which resulted to an almost 2% jump in JL's stock price.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLAS...4A810C1LDA000/
Good that i canceled my winter booking, now I can fly via KIX instead
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Perfect 787 route. Since SAN isn't performing well I wouldn't be surprised to see SAN axed and the 787 move up to LAX to start LAX-KIX.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Perfect 787 route. Since SAN isn't performing well I wouldn't be surprised to see SAN axed and the 787 move up to LAX to start LAX-KIX.
Hopefully JL will not ax NRT-SAN. Last time I flew that route (Sep/Oct 2013) it was pretty full and so far L/F has been averaging in the low/mid-70s since the resumption of the 787 service. Also, 3 x new 787s are expected to be delivered around Sep/Oct with a possible Sky Suite (SS8) Config so they might use these new planes between KIX-LAX.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by musashino22
3 x new 787s are expected to be delivered around Sep/Oct with a possible Sky Suite (SS8) Config so they might use these new planes between KIX-LAX.
I think it would be crazy for JAL to put their newest (and possibly nicest) business class product on a route with absolutely no competition. They would almost certainly be better off putting the SS8 planes on HND-SFO or NRT-JFK and using older 787s to do KIX-LAX.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by joejones
I think it would be crazy for JAL to put their newest (and possibly nicest) business class product on a route with absolutely no competition. They would almost certainly be better off putting the SS8 planes on HND-SFO or NRT-JFK and using older 787s to do KIX-LAX.
I was just wishfully thinking. It would be wise for JL to use the new SS8s to the routes you mentioned given that UA will start their HND-SFO service frm Oct and JL003/004 needs a full-flat seat. People in the office likes to take the JL003/004 when travelling to HQ due to the timing but always complain about the sloping seats. ^

Last edited by musashino22; Aug 13, 2014 at 2:24 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Sarfa33
I wonder if this is JL's strategy to deal with NH getting so many of the new HND slots -- NH will be dedicating its resources/aircraft to new HND routes, so JL will try to capture the demand to/from elsewhere in Japan...
One of the Japanese business magazines (shukan diamond, maybe?) ran a story a few months ago which stated the same thing you describe above -- that JL will focus on routes from other Japan airports since they couldn't get enough slots at HND.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:13 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Judging by the number of complaints I've heard from Kansai and Nagoya residents in particular about poor international service from JL and NH, this strikes me as a smart move for JL assuming they can get the yields right.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Judging by the number of complaints I've heard from Kansai and Nagoya residents in particular about poor international service from JL and NH, this strikes me as a smart move for JL assuming they can get the yields right.
I don't know about that. All carriers have suspended that route. I am not sure if it could work. It all depends on whether the 788 is really such a game changer I guess But if it really resumes LAX-KIX, that means we may see 3x LAX service soon if JAL gets multiple slots at HND for US flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.