Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 9:19 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by yuchung5
So I called again. Instead of calling US, I called Taiwan JL number. Sounds like an agent from China. She said that it will depends on JMB status. But maybe OW status also. She does not sure. I am on No 6 now. I don't know that is total length of waitlist or just 5 people in front of me. I guess I will call again to a different agent and ask.

Is there a clear rule of upgrade waitlist priority?
No. But as I said, you are using your JMB account to redeem, it makes sense for priority to be based on your JMB status.

The position in waiting list is pretty misleading as it's not a FIFO queue. You could be number 1 in the queue but still got trumped by someone who just request for an upgrade award because he/she is a JMB Diamond for example. Or even number 2 in the queue can get pushed up to the front of the line.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by JALPak
No. But as I said, you are using your JMB account to redeem, it makes sense for priority to be based on your JMB status.

The position in waiting list is pretty misleading as it's not a FIFO queue. You could be number 1 in the queue but still got trumped by someone who just request for an upgrade award because he/she is a JMB Diamond for example. Or even number 2 in the queue can get pushed up to the front of the line.
Thank you for the information. Since here is for newbie, one more question.
How often does JL review and clear the waitlist?
Will it automatically clear when it is available? Or I have to call them once a while to check the status?

Thank you
Old May 9, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Thank you for the information. Since here is for newbie, one more question.
How often does JL review and clear the waitlist?
Will it automatically clear when it is available? Or I have to call them once a while to check the status?

Thank you
They will call you when it is cleared
Old May 9, 2016, 8:13 am

DFW-NRT Wifi?

I know the experience has been that YEMV for some time. Anyone on know if Wifi is available on this route most days? Seems hard to believe they'd have launched this service without a plan to quickly roll out.

(As an aside, I was on one of UA's old 777 from LAX-SYD last year and was amazed at the BLAZZING fast wifi over the pacific) Streamed a movie. Incredible.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by (ok)
I know the experience has been that YEMV for some time. Anyone on know if Wifi is available on this route most days? Seems hard to believe they'd have launched this service without a plan to quickly roll out.

(As an aside, I was on one of UA's old 777 from LAX-SYD last year and was amazed at the BLAZZING fast wifi over the pacific) Streamed a movie. Incredible.
It's based on aircraft rotation as there are a few SS8 without wifi
Old May 20, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Believe 5A is reserved for full fare.

JAL website doesn't distinguish between occupied and blocked. It will only show seats you are entitled to select as available on JAL website.
Do these blocked seats only get released at the airport? In EF, I see the below image. On JL, I can't select any of the "open" or blocked seats.
Attached Images  
Old May 20, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Do these blocked seats only get released at the airport? In EF, I see the below image. On JL, I can't select any of the "open" or blocked seats.
For you, yes but for others they could pre-select them with the right combination of status, fare type, traveling companion, etc.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA
Am flying JL9 ORD to NRT on Sun June 5. I know I'll be able to check in online and print a boarding pass. But I'm not sure how to check in my bag once in T3. Is the Fast Baggage Drop Counter in T3 specific to JAL or used by AA too? I'm just trying to figure out how early I need to get to the airport given the long TSA lines. I suspect there will also be a long line to check my bag. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Hi Folks,

Can i mix and match JAL one world partners in my itinerary ?

Can i mix and match JAL alliance partners & one world partners in my itinerary?
Old May 20, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ovenbird
Am flying JL9 ORD to NRT on Sun June 5. I know I'll be able to check in online and print a boarding pass. But I'm not sure how to check in my bag once in T3. Is the Fast Baggage Drop Counter in T3 specific to JAL or used by AA too? I'm just trying to figure out how early I need to get to the airport given the long TSA lines. I suspect there will also be a long line to check my bag. Thanks.
There will be specific JAL counters.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks CPH-Flyer. According to the JAL website their counters don't open until 3hrs prior to the flight so no need for us to get to ORD any earlier. We'll just keep fingers crossed 3hrs is enough time to get through security and we get to the gate in time.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ovenbird
Thanks CPH-Flyer. According to the JAL website their counters don't open until 3hrs prior to the flight so no need for us to get to ORD any earlier. We'll just keep fingers crossed 3hrs is enough time to get through security and we get to the gate in time.
If JAL had experienced general issues on this point, they would open the check-in earlier. I.e. you should be fine.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: QF Gold
My parents are flying JAL F SYD-NRT.

Do they generally load enough Japanese meals for each passenger? Or best to reserve 1?
Old May 23, 2016, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davem4
My parents are flying JAL F SYD-NRT.

Do they generally load enough Japanese meals for each passenger? Or best to reserve 1?
It is normally never an issue in F. But it does not hurt to pre-book if they are certain of their choice.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is normally never an issue in F. But it does not hurt to pre-book if they are certain of their choice.
Cheers for the reply. They would like to grab the caviar, but then also take the Japanese meal.

Just worried pre booking the Japanese, they will not load any of the western appetizers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.