Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jamar
Worked just fine. It was indeed an int'l aircraft so I got Shell Flat for 953 yen. And that's the only odd part- I wasn't charged the full 1000 yen. Consumption tax subtracted out? Int'l connection discount?
I've paid 1000 yen even when connecting from int'l to domestic. Did they charge you 953 yen or you ended up paying X USD and that's equivalent to 953 yen
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I handed them a 1000-yen bill and was surprised when they handed 47 yen back to me. I mean, I'm not going to complain, I just wish I knew why. I didn't understand enough Japanese to get the check-in lady's explanation.

And a quick Googling got me this:

24時間以内の乗り継ぎのため、非課税で953円。
Seems like it's the consumption tax being subtracted out.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamar
I handed them a 1000-yen bill and was surprised when they handed 47 yen back to me. I mean, I'm not going to complain, I just wish I knew why. I didn't understand enough Japanese to get the check-in lady's explanation.

And a quick Googling got me this:

Seems like it's the consumption tax being subtracted out.
Ha! That's good to know. Thanks for the info. If they charge me 1,000 yen next time I will ask for my consumption tax back!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: TK*G
I'm flying into NRT today from ORD - I'm actually in the AA lounge right now over there - what lounge access will I have once I land? I'm connecting onto another flight NRT-PEK after that, both flights are in J, if that helps.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CheeseheadInParadise
I'm flying into NRT today from ORD - I'm actually in the AA lounge right now over there - what lounge access will I have once I land? I'm connecting onto another flight NRT-PEK after that, both flights are in J, if that helps.
I would just spend the time at JAL Sakura lounge which is the nicest one at NRT T2

Last edited by JALPak; Jun 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by JALPak
I would just spend the time at JAL Sakura lounge which is the nicest one at NRT T2
Thanks, I'm there right now and it is really nice! Great views to plane-watch, and it's surprisingly quiet.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:44 am

I'm sorry if this had been answered before but I can't seem to find any info.

I'm looking for upgrade award availability on JL (Y to J, and J to F), can someone please help pointing out:

1) where to check the availability (I'm always waitlisting but I want to know if its because they haven't released the inventory yet or because they're all taken and I'm really waiting for those who have it to give up, and

2) which fare codes JL uses for (upgraded) award inventory?

Thanks in advance =)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LausanneBoy
I'm sorry if this had been answered before but I can't seem to find any info.

I'm looking for upgrade award availability on JL (Y to J, and J to F), can someone please help pointing out:

1) where to check the availability (I'm always waitlisting but I want to know if its because they haven't released the inventory yet or because they're all taken and I'm really waiting for those who have it to give up, and

2) which fare codes JL uses for (upgraded) award inventory?

Thanks in advance =)
Unfortunately you can't check the availability online other than using the JMB portal. JAL doesn't use published fare codes for upgrade awards
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Hi. Thanks for the helpful thread.

Can you explain how mileage and FOP earnings work for JL-coded flights operated by another oneworld carrier?

I will probably fly the following itinerary in a couple of months, in standard discounted coach (70% fare buckets for JL):
NRT-LHR (JL-coded and operated)
LHR-BRU (BA-coded and operated)
BRU-HEL-NRT (JL-coded but operated by AY)

If I try to book this on the website, it displays the flight miles as:

国際線 [成田(東京)=ヒースロー(ロンドン)] 4,354 = 6,220 x 0.7
国際線 [ブリュッセル=ヘルシンキ] 0 = 0 x 0.7
国際線 [ヘルシンキ=成田(東京)] 3,660 = 5,229 x 0.7
フライトマイル 合計 8,014マイル

So it doesn't take the BA flight into account, and counts the BRU-HEL segment as zero!

Is this really how miles are calculated (I hope not!)? What about FOPs?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mt-i
Hi. Thanks for the helpful thread.

Can you explain how mileage and FOP earnings work for JL-coded flights operated by another oneworld carrier?

I will probably fly the following itinerary in a couple of months, in standard discounted coach (70% fare buckets for JL):
NRT-LHR (JL-coded and operated)
LHR-BRU (BA-coded and operated)
BRU-HEL-NRT (JL-coded but operated by AY)

If I try to book this on the website, it displays the flight miles as:

国際線 [成田(東京)=ヒースロー(ロンドン)] 4,354 = 6,220 x 0.7
国際線 [ブリュッセル=ヘルシンキ] 0 = 0 x 0.7
国際線 [ヘルシンキ=成田(東京)] 3,660 = 5,229 x 0.7
フライトマイル 合計 8,014マイル

So it doesn't take the BA flight into account, and counts the BRU-HEL segment as zero!

Is this really how miles are calculated (I hope not!)? What about FOPs?
Can't be sure without knowing the booking code. But it is possible that JAL website has a bug in calculating miles accumulation when the flight does not carry a JL code. You probably should give JAL a call to figure out the booking class.

You probably was looking at the BA400 as your connecting flight? If you don't mind waiting for an extra hour, there's a JL coded flight operated by BA. You probably will earn more miles and FOPs with the JAL coded flight.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I'll be flying JAL for the first time this autumn in F on JL402 LHR-NRT and then connecting onto GK127 to FUK. I am BA Gold so have Emerald Status with oneworld. What are my chances of getting into the domestic JAL lounge at NRT while waiting for GK127? Any other tips worth noting about NRT would be most appreciated!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waribai
I'll be flying JAL for the first time this autumn in F on JL402 LHR-NRT and then connecting onto GK127 to FUK. I am BA Gold so have Emerald Status with oneworld. What are my chances of getting into the domestic JAL lounge at NRT while waiting for GK127? Any other tips worth noting about NRT would be most appreciated!
I would say close to zero as you aren't connecting onto an oneworld flight. Just curious, why not connect on the JAL NRT-FUK flight instead?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:21 pm

Ok....I was kind of hoping that as GK is affiliated to JAL they might let me in!
I would connect onto the NRT-FUK Jal flight but I was told by BA that there is no redemption availability on that particular flight...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waribai
Ok....I was kind of hoping that as GK is affiliated to JAL they might let me in!
I would connect onto the NRT-FUK Jal flight but I was told by BA that there is no redemption availability on that particular flight...
If you hold a r/t ticket to Japan you can always buy a Yokoso ticket which only cost 10,000 JPY
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
If you hold a r/t ticket to Japan you can always buy a Yokoso ticket which only cost 10,000 JPY
I would have done that but it is on 25/12 which is during the blackout period

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.