Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Thanks for the info.

Do you mean dinner + breakfast, or just breakfast? If only the latter seems odd on a flight leaving at 2150 local...
I have no idea when they will serve the main meal. It's possible they only serve the meal 1-2 hours before arrival. But I have no previous red-eye experience with JAL. fumitani probably knows more about this.

For BKK red-eye,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18323075-post4.html

When the flight departs the C cabin remains dark until about 50min-1hr before arrival to serve breakfast (depends on the load). Mine went bright 2 hrs before arrival the last two times because of terrible landing weather.
BKK-NRT red-eye leaves at 23:10 while BKK-HND red-eye leaves at 21:40. I assume SIN-HND should have similar service (I am trying to confirm BKK-HND and BKK-NRT have the similar meal service schedule with fumitani) But from the menu itself, they have the same main dishes. Since BKK-HND departs earlier, it has a separate snack menu (just like SIN-HND has a snack menu consists of sandwiches).

Last edited by JALPak; May 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old May 29, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
J availability

I am flying sfo-hnd-sin-hnd-sfo for work in J with a stopover in Tokyo on the return. My current flight from sin-hnd is the red eye on 16 June. I would prefer the morning flight that day or the red eye on the 15th as I have never been to Tokyo but they are J0 even though there are fewer seats assigned. Any reason why these flights are J0? I have an alert set on expertflyer but no hits yet. If I book the morning flight in Y will I be able to change to J if something opens up? I think my booking code is D.

cheers
Old May 29, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
OK, thanks. Seems a bit odd, to serve breakfast around 3am Singapore time. Oh well, I will just go and fill up with Dim Sum at lunch and ask at checkin if there is dinner or breakfast on the flight.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamanatu
I am flying sfo-hnd-sin-hnd-sfo for work in J with a stopover in Tokyo on the return. My current flight from sin-hnd is the red eye on 16 June. I would prefer the morning flight that day or the red eye on the 15th as I have never been to Tokyo but they are J0 even though there are fewer seats assigned. Any reason why these flights are J0? I have an alert set on expertflyer but no hits yet. If I book the morning flight in Y will I be able to change to J if something opens up? I think my booking code is D.

cheers
I have learnt that some people just don't select their seats in advance. I have seen flights with F2 but only 1 seat assigned!

JAL is still selling seats in business class on SIN-HND on June 15 but I saw 0 in all C booking codes. You might want to just waitlist for that flight and call them to see what's going on as JL036 is wide open according to jal.co.jp

You probably know about this already, if you end up flying to NRT instead, you would have to bring your checked luggages all the way from NRT to HND. You cannot check them through all the way to SFO in this case.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL is still selling seats in business class on SIN-HND on June 15
but I saw 0 in all C booking codes. You might want to just waitlist for that flight and call them to see what's going on as JL036 is wide open according to jal.co.jp.[/QUOTE]

I show C0 J0 D0 X0 I0 for the SIN-HND flight on June 15th.

You probably know about this already, if you end up flying to NRT instead, you would have to bring your checked luggages all the way from NRT to HND. You cannot check them through all the way to SFO in this case.
I am planning a stopover for work and I would be in Tokyo until Wednesday so no issue with NRT vs HND. I want to get as much of the weekend in Tokyo as possible but with the Sat night redeye I will arrive early Sunday. An extra day in Singapore isn't the end of the world either.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

but I saw 0 in all C booking codes. You might want to just waitlist for that flight and call them to see what's going on as JL036 is wide open according to jal.co.jp.

I show C0 J0 D0 X0 I0 for the SIN-HND flight on June 15th.
That's what I saw when I checked yesterday. But jal.co.jp was showing that flight wide open in business class. Just give them a call after you put yourself onto the waitlist and see what's going on. They might be able to clear that or send the tokyo inventory control a message for you.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

BKK-NRT red-eye leaves at 23:10 while BKK-HND red-eye leaves at 21:40. I assume SIN-HND should have similar service (I am trying to confirm BKK-HND and BKK-NRT have the similar meal service schedule with fumitani) But from the menu itself, they have the same main dishes. Since BKK-HND departs earlier, it has a separate snack menu (just like SIN-HND has a snack menu consists of sandwiches).
fumitani confirmed that BKK-HND red-eye has the same catering schedule and meals are served before arrival instead of right after flight reaching cursing altitude. Since SIN-HND leaves at around the same time, it's probably safe to assume the same.

Have a pleasant flight
Old May 31, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: FT
Just wondering how long JAL has permitted liquids in carryons[ for domestic flights]? My recent FUK to HND flight required me take two bottles of some whiskey I picked up at the Yamazaki distillery and put them in my carryon. Very nice to see this change. Now if only the US would get their heads out of their you know whats and allow the same again....
Old May 31, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Just wondering how long JAL has permitted liquids in carryons[ for domestic flights]? My recent FUK to HND flight required me take two bottles of some whiskey I picked up at the Yamazaki distillery and put them in my carryon. Very nice to see this change. Now if only the US would get their heads out of their you know whats and allow the same again....
If I recall correctly, the liquid ban only applies to international flights in Japan. So it has always been allowed as far as I remember. They always just take your bottle and put that in a machine. If you get a green light then you are good to go
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:24 pm

Setting expectations

Ok, I am packing for my trip to SIN tomorrow SFO-HND-SIN in J. I usually fly SFO-HKG-SIN on CX in J and have always enjoyed the flat bed and privacy. I am a little worried about being disappointed by JAL. Please tell me I am wrong. What type of experience should I expect?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I am packing for my trip to SIN tomorrow SFO-HND-SIN in J. I usually fly SFO-HKG-SIN on CX in J and have always enjoyed the flat bed and privacy. I am a little worried about being disappointed by JAL. Please tell me I am wrong. What type of experience should I expect?
You won't get the flat bed nor too much privacy. JAL uses the recliner seats on this red-eye flight.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/int...at/index3.html
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:05 pm

You won't get the flat bed nor too much privacy. JAL uses the recliner seats on this red-eye flight.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/int...at/index3.html
The comfort and privacy are a far cry from Cathay. Although I preferred the 767 to the dated 777 seats.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

The comfort and privacy are a far cry from Cathay. Although I preferred the 767 to the dated 777 seats.
But you are comparing a regional product to their long haul one though...although NEO seat still doesn't have the same level of privacy (and possibly comfort if you want lie-flat bed) that CX's latest long haul J seat has
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Red-eye flights (only)

BKK-NRT
BKK-HND
BKK-KIX

In C before departure (usually) staff will hand out a bottle of water bottle, plastic amenity kit, and documents on the ground. Once the flight takes off the light pretty much remains dark until 2hrs-50min before landing. It all depends on weather before landing.

In Y after take off the lights come on and they serve drinks. (on rare occasions I have gotten water bottles in Y (because of my status?). Breakfast is served 2hrs-1.5 hrs before arrival.

The only time breakfast was served late....about 50 minutes prior to arrival was BKK-KIX and load was consisted of only 36 people...C had 7 and Y had 29 people.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
How does the class J upgrade work on a domestic flight? I seem to remember that I can only do it at the gate, but is any Y ticket OK for the 1000 yen upgrade? Mine is part of an AA award itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.