Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I was trying on jal.co.jp, selecting "My domestic booking". I have two record locators, one for BA and one for JAL. Both are 6 characters long.
If it's six characters, try looking it up on the JAL international side.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If it's six characters, try looking it up on the JAL international side.
No luck there either, but when I went to the US site, I was able to pull it up.

But no luck on reserving seats
"Seat selection for domestic flights are available only from 2 months and 14 days before the boarding date"
Old May 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Hey everyone, Ive recently started dipping my toe into rewards traveling and could use your help. My girlfriend and i have have opened up a few Ultimate rewards cards and we booked our first flight using them through the UR portal. We grabbed some economy seats from JFK in late october on Japan airlines to Singapore with a stop over in tokyo for a few days.
a few weeks have passed and im starting to wonder if such a long flight, especially the 21 hour leg from singapore would be worth upgrading. Does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this? we have 180,000 UR points left over and i was hoping these might be useful for transfering to some partner airline maybe where i can upgrade our tickets. I have no idea where to even begin, im open to any suggestions. Please Help!!
Old May 22, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by layoverdan
Hey everyone, Ive recently started dipping my toe into rewards traveling and could use your help. My girlfriend and i have have opened up a few Ultimate rewards cards and we booked our first flight using them through the UR portal. We grabbed some economy seats from JFK in late october on Japan airlines to Singapore with a stop over in tokyo for a few days.
a few weeks have passed and im starting to wonder if such a long flight, especially the 21 hour leg from singapore would be worth upgrading. Does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this? we have 180,000 UR points left over and i was hoping these might be useful for transfering to some partner airline maybe where i can upgrade our tickets. I have no idea where to even begin, im open to any suggestions. Please Help!!
I am not quite sure how a booing via the UR portal pans out in terms of booking class.

If it is in a revenue class, it needs to be K and above to allow for mileage upgrade via JMB. If it is an Award booking class, you would need to cancel and reboook it in to business class under the rules of of the UR portal.

As far as I know, there are no partner Airlines where you can use miles to upgrade a JAL ticket, Award or revenue.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am not quite sure how a booing via the UR portal pans out in terms of booking class.

If it is in a revenue class, it needs to be K and above to allow for mileage upgrade via JMB. If it is an Award booking class, you would need to cancel and reboook it in to business class under the rules of of the UR portal.

As far as I know, there are no partner Airlines where you can use miles to upgrade a JAL ticket, Award or revenue.
The website is a little hard to navigate but i believe i saw the ticket say class N. so my only hope would be to pay? or is even that not an option?
Old May 22, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The website is a little hard to navigate but i believe i saw the ticket say class N. so my only hope would be to pay? or is even that not an option?
You can pay for a premium economy upgrade at the airport on a space available basis. JAL does not offer the option for cash upgrades to business class. You can pay change fees for your ticket, and the full extra fare up to business class.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:12 am

ive looked around a little and seen at the airport people have upgraded for around $300. I've never flown Japan air is the upgrade worth the money?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ive looked around a little and seen at the airport people have upgraded for around $300. I've never flown Japan air is the upgrade worth the money?
That is the premium economy upgrade I mentioned. I think it is now 325 USD TPAC.

You get a wider seat, more leg room, but a seat that slides forward rather than reclines. There is champagne and a few extra drinks, a bugger mid-flight snack, and cup noodles. Also, you get slippers and the ability to pick most of the items from the J amenity kit from a basket.

I don't think it is worth it after the latest price increase.
​​​​​
Old May 23, 2017, 10:57 am

That fee would only cover that one leg, or the rest of my trip? Now for the most important question.... what is the alcohol situation in economy? Are they included, is there a limit if they are?
Old May 23, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That fee would only cover that one leg, or the rest of my trip? Now for the most important question.... what is the alcohol situation in economy? Are they included, is there a limit if they are?
The fee covers one leg.

There is open bar in economy, there is no limit to the consumption. Apart from the amount loaded, and the passenger being too intoxicated to serve more alcohol.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is the premium economy upgrade I mentioned. I think it is now 325 USD TPAC.

You get a wider seat, more leg room, but a seat that slides forward rather than reclines. There is champagne and a few extra drinks, a bugger mid-flight snack, and cup noodles. Also, you get slippers and the ability to pick most of the items from the J amenity kit from a basket.

I don't think it is worth it after the latest price increase.
​​​​​
USD350
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Hi all,

I'm planning to fly JAL for the first time in my life (Tokyo-Okinawa) in some months and I'd like to ask two questions, please:

Is there a way to see your fare class somewhere on the JAL homepage when/before making your booking? I was considering to go for the "Class J" but I suppose this may not always mean booking into the J fare bucket.

Secondly, does JAL serve alcohol on domestic flights such as this one in economy or "Class J"?

Edit: Thirdly, do they serve any food or snacks on domestic flights with this length in either classes?

Thank you!

Last edited by loimu; Jun 1, 2017 at 6:02 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:38 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by loimu
Hi all,

I'm planning to fly JAL for the first time in my life (Tokyo-Okinawa) in some months and I'd like to ask two questions, please:

Is there a way to see your fare class somewhere on the JAL homepage when/before making your booking? I was considering to go for the "Class J" but I suppose this may not always mean booking into the J fare bucket.

Secondly, does JAL serve alcohol on domestic flights such as this one in economy or "Class J"?

Edit: Thirdly, do they serve any food or snacks on domestic flights with this length in either classes?

Thank you!
You need to call JAL to get the booking class

Beer is available for purchase on HND-OKA. Otherwise, only these options are available: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service/j/drink/. If you want free alcohol, you need to fly domestic F.

JL only serves food and snacks in domestic F
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Ok, thanks for your help JALPak!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
book int'l partner award before passport?

hi all - hoping to book an int'l award RT flight for two on a partner (EK) airline (JFK-MXP). have the points ready to transfer and cleared all the hurdles in this thread re: names matching etc. called in to verify availability from expertflyer reports because i wasn't sure if i was using it correctly. there was a bit of a language barrier with the customer service rep, but i believe in passing at the end she said that i need to have passport information for myself and/or my wife in order to book the flight (which is 300+ days out). i can call back to verify, but does this sound right? do i need valid and updated passports to book the award flights? any clue whether a rule like this would come from the JAL side or the partner we would be flying on (here, EK)? i've never had a passport, and i presume wife needs a new one reflecting her recently changed married name.

if we have to get the passports lined up first that's fine, i can chalk the delay up to a learning experience. but if it's more likely a misunderstanding, i'd certainly prefer to get the thing booked sooner than later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.