Community
Wiki Posts
Search

discount fares on JAL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

discount fares on JAL

Currently searching for flight for a one-way flight from Sapporo (chitose) to Tokyo (Narita) on the JAL website and found heavily discounted flights under a fare called Super Sakitoku for the date required. Very excited!!! But curious to know if people living outside of Japan can book these flights?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Technically no. You are supposed to have a Japanese mobile number to make a reservation and a Japanese credit card (or go to your local convenience store) to pay for the ticket if reserving on the domestic website. However, I have never tried to purchase on JAL's domestic website using an out-of-country mobile number and/or international credit card, so it could be possible albeit risky. It would be best to have a Japanese friend book the flight for you or else go through a travel agent that specializes in Japan, i.e. JTB.

Is there any particular reason why you need to fly JAL or into Narita? If you can fly into Haneda, Air Do or Skymark may be a better and cheaper choice.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:42 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT, rhia_b!

Are you flying to Japan on an Oneworld carrier? If that's the case, the OW Yokoso fare is probably cheaper than the Super Sakitoku fare.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi JALPak

No not travelling on a OW carrier unfortunately.....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are travelling on a Star Alliance carrier, there is an ANA equivalent to the JAL Yokoso fare.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you are travelling on a Star Alliance carrier, there is an ANA equivalent to the JAL Yokoso fare.
NH's is bit more expensive
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ninja138
Technically no. You are supposed to have a Japanese mobile number to make a reservation and a Japanese credit card (or go to your local convenience store) to pay for the ticket if reserving on the domestic website. However, I have never tried to purchase on JAL's domestic website using an out-of-country mobile number and/or international credit card, so it could be possible albeit risky.
I don't see much of a way to get around the Japanese mobile number requirement (have someone get a cheap Softbank or au prepaid phone for you?) but the credit card requirement can be worked around. JCB cards from the Greater China area have been proven to be treated the same as Japan-issued JCB cards when shopping at places that check this. Whether this applies to other countries where JCB cards are issued is unknown.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
I don't see much of a way to get around the Japanese mobile number requirement (have someone get a cheap Softbank or au prepaid phone for you?) but the credit card requirement can be worked around. JCB cards from the Greater China area have been proven to be treated the same as Japan-issued JCB cards when shopping at places that check this. Whether this applies to other countries where JCB cards are issued is unknown.
Prepaid mobiles in Japan now are only issued by Softbank and require gaijin cards so basically not available to non residents. I don't think you need a Japanese credit card to purchase a domestic flight. I have never heard of this and it has never been a problem for me (I live in Japan now but before i did use international card for purchasing domestic flights with no problems). JCB is fairly okay in Asia but totally sucks anywhere else unless you just plan on spending money at a branded hotel when on vacation like Hilton etc that might accept it all over the world.

Originally Posted by ninja138
Technically no. You are supposed to have a Japanese mobile number to make a reservation and a Japanese credit card (or go to your local convenience store) to pay for the ticket if reserving on the domestic website. However, I have never tried to purchase on JAL's domestic website using an out-of-country mobile number and/or international credit card, so it could be possible albeit risky. It would be best to have a Japanese friend book the flight for you or else go through a travel agent that specializes in Japan, i.e. JTB.

Is there any particular reason why you need to fly JAL or into Narita? If you can fly into Haneda, Air Do or Skymark may be a better and cheaper choice.
To be honest, this is not checked and you can put any phone number you like in there. I would not describe this move as risky as the only time they might contact you is if the plane was rescheduled etc which rarely happens. Many of my friends from overseas have had no problems just putting a dummy phone number in this field.

However the OP is right that you are suppose to be living in Japan to gain access to those fares with even more fares available on the Japanese version of the JAL site if you are up for it and can speak the language.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Simmo
However the OP is right that you are suppose to be living in Japan to gain access to those fares with even more fares available on the Japanese version of the JAL site if you are up for it and can speak the language.
Are you sure about this?

FYI, usually I put in JAL reservation hotline number when I tried to make a booking. As Simmo said they don't check it. But I do recall someone having trouble buying a domestic ticket on JAL sit using an international credit card. But after he/she switched to another card, everything is fine.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Are you sure about this?

FYI, usually I put in JAL reservation hotline number when I tried to make a booking. As Simmo said they don't check it. But I do recall someone having trouble buying a domestic ticket on JAL sit using an international credit card. But after he/she switched to another card, everything is fine.
Probably due to their credit card declining the transaction due to fraud or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.