Search

Seating JL 773 & 767

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Seating JL 773 & 767

Just checking... Thanks.

Flying in Y 773.
I need to put my rolly on the floor in front of me, with my feet stretched out.

On the 773, I picked row 45c. Seat H is the same, is this the best option?
Are window seats A, K, somewhat blocked by the exit door?
Row 23 is airport control, would that be a better choice if I can get it?

Flying in Y 767
I need to put my rolly on the floor in front of me, with my feet stretched out.

On the 767, I picked row 45c. Seat H is the same, is this the best option?
Are window seats A, K, somewhat blocked by the exit door?
Row 15 is airport control, would that be a better choice if I can get it?

I'll take photos and if we think a Wiki is warranted, I'll help put it together when I get back.

I know there is a thread (started by me) but, I'm trying to get my head around the seating for my 4x MR.

At the airport, if possible, maybe I should try for an empty middle row in the back.

Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
45 A and K on the 77W would have enough of protrusion from the door to not really leave room for your rolly.

On the 767 there is no full door at the emergency exit row, it is over-wing exits like a 737 or A320.

Row 45 has more space in front than 15 or 23.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

A couple of days ago, I extended a 24 hr. hold ticket. Rebooking went well, until selecting seats. I was hoping to keep the same seats, and usually that happens. This time AA was locked out. I called over the days, AAgents gave different answers.

JAL agent had the answer. The fare was the same, but the booking class was different. With a Q fare, you can get AA/JAL to select your seats (online no), but with an N fare, nope. N fares have to wait, and can book at AA.com, 72 hours before (we'll see if that works).

Anyway... learn something new everyday.

Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
45K SS7
https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/664236028916465664

45AC SS6

https://twitter.com/fwtw/status/654265951836241920
https://twitter.com/fwtw/status/654266116299067392
https://twitter.com/fwtw/status/654266209685278720
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Good to see the seat. Coach is rough.

I'd ask about loads, hoping to get three across, but what's the use. Happy to be traveling, I sure bit off more than... chew. Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zznoname
JAL agent had the answer. With a Q fare, you can get AA/JAL to select your seats (online no), but with an N fare, nope. N fares have to wait, and can book at AA.com, 72 hours before (we'll see if that works).
It's 72 hours before the flight (JL 09, Monday @ 10.45) and I am NOT able to select JAL seats on AA.com, JL agents said, or JAL.com.

Lucky me. I called into AA this morning and asked if, for ZERO fee, they could put my fare back into the Q bucket. Took some time, but they did, and I was able to "get back" my 45c.

Yeah.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 14, 2015 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:13 pm

You have to wait for T-24 since this is AA coded
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
So, that also means the seat that were blocked in the back of Y cabin are now open, and being selected, just not with an AA code share?

Yes. I called AA, and those seats are still not available.

So, that makes me sad, because later, CGK-NRT, I'm in 50e, middle of the middle.

I had been thinking, at T72, I could go online, or call AA, and change to one of the previously blocked seats in the back. Now, thanks to JALPak, that will have to be pushed to T24, and unless the plane is empty, an aisle seat might be hard to find.

My other option, was getting to the airport early, find a GA, and try for bulkhead #23. From what I learned, that row is airport controlled?

In any case, any tip on getting out of seat 50e?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Seating JL 773 & 767

There's some funk with getting seat assignments IME. Just rode JL9 on AA stock and an N fare, and I wasn't able to check in online, nor get seats, even inside T-24. Couldn't do it on AA nor JL website. Even checking in at YYZ the morning of, the check in counter agent could not touch the seat assignments on the JL9 segment.

My suggestion is to get to the check-in counter or talk to the GA before boarding JL9 to see if they can do anything.

One thing I noticed sitting in Y on the 773 is that there is a box presumably storing the electronics that hangs beneath the seats, and as such the height clearance from floor to seat is less than expected. I don't know if a rollie will ever fit under the chairs. My backpack had to be jammed in to get it to fit. FWIW.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Me again. T24 and AA can't see the seating chart. They said, middle seats only, available to row 50 something. I'm guessing at T24, there are some empty seats back to 63, but AA can't see 'em. JAL won't touch the record. So, with the Q fare AA can see the chart, but I'm still not sure when they can get their hands on the back rows.

Also, row 45 is strange. "They're" saying it's airport controlled, but AA has secured them for me.

Looking for a lucky break tomorrow. The flight was empty coming down Wednesday. It was a midnight flight. Maybe CGK-NRT 06.00 Friday will be packed.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:11 pm

Hi. Me again. T24 and AA can't see the seating chart. They said, middle seats only, available to row 50 something. I'm guessing at T24, there are some empty seats back to 63, but AA can't see 'em. JAL won't touch the record. So, with the Q fare AA can see the chart, but I'm still not sure when they can get their hands on the back rows.

Also, row 45 is strange. "They're" saying it's airport controlled, but AA has secured them for me.

Looking for a lucky break tomorrow. The flight was empty coming down Wednesday. It was a midnight flight. Maybe CGK-NRT 06.00 Friday will be packed.
Did you do OLCI on aa.com and seat map didn't show up?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

No can OLCI

JAL
No itinerary for Web Check-in.
Flights depart from Paris and Hanoi, Code-share flights operated by other airlines, and Charter flights are excluded from web check-in.

Thought I was going ti be lucky. The first error was from using a cell phone.

AA
Our system is having trouble.
Please check in on the operating airline’s website or at the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:38 pm

No can OLCI

JAL
No itinerary for Web Check-in.
Flights depart from Paris and Hanoi, Code-share flights operated by other airlines, and Charter flights are excluded from web check-in.

Thought I was going ti be lucky. The first error was from using a cell phone.

AA
Our system is having trouble.
Please check in on the operating airline’s website or at the airport.
Then you are screwed. If things work, you would be able to initiate the check-in on aa.com, which will redirect the OLCI process to JAL website. Last time I had similar OLCI problem with my brother's ticket. At the end, he couldn't check in JL's flight even at HKG (first flight was AA coded but operated by CX) and had to go to the transit desk to check in for the AA coded connecting flight operated by JL.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Then you are screwed.
OK.

Also, somewhere buried in the threads, was a question on AA v. JAL for my MR, and me slamming JAL food.

Sure glad I took the advice here and flew JAL's service oriented, bend over backwards to help, patient people who listen flights. And boy was I wrong about the food. Coach food is coach, but I can't imagine an airline doing it better.

Also... looking at 773er configuration, JAL seems to have the fewest amount of cheap Y seats I've seen.

I mean, if it's true, F and J pay for the flight, then JAL is brilliant, because their large premium cabin brings in extra bucks, and "throwaway" Y, is a very small section.

Thanks again everyone for helping.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 22, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.