Search

One day in Milan: Lake Como or Milan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
One day in Milan: Lake Como or Milan?

Hello all,

I have a brief one day trip coming up to Milan, and am wandering if I should spend my day seeing Lake Como or wandering the streets of Milan?

Regardless, I plan on using points for the Holiday Inn Express at MXP as that will be nice in the morning before the flight.

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
IMHO Lake Como is much nicer than Milan but it will be quite rushed in just one day if you plan on taking public transport. If you have never been to Milan before then I would probably stay local and visit the Duomo (on a clear day you can see up to the Alps), the opera house and perhaps - if you can arrange an appointment - even The Last Supper.

I used to live on Lake Como and still feel like it is my favourite place in Italy! If you decide to go to Lake Como you can take the train to Varenna and cross from here to Bellagio by ferry. Its worth checking the timetable but from here you may be in time to catch a hydrofoil ferry back down the lake to Como and return to Milan from here (it takes you right past George Clooney's very lovely villa - the Villa Oleandra) which is close to Cernobbio.

Alternatively you could hire a car and drive along the lake to Menaggio and take the boat across to Bellagio from here - there is usually parking available at the Menaggio ferry station.

Have a great time whichever you decide
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I have done some research and found that it looks quite easy to take the train from MXP to Saronno, and transfer to a train up to Como. Fairly cheap too. Would be satisfied staying in Como for 6-7 hours, or is it easy to visit other parts of the lake (eg. Bellagio, etc) from Como? The last train from Como to MXP (via Saronno) leaves at 9:00, so that'll be decent time.

Your thoughts?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I cant imagine that you will get bored in Como anyway, there is plenty to keep you amused. There is a funicular from the centre which takes you above the city to a pretty little village called Brunante IIRC which offers amazing views over Como, I think this is very worthwhile.

In 6-7 hours I probably wouldnt venture as far as Bellagio as it will eat up your whole day - if you want to take a boat ride however you could always go to a nearby village, perhaps Cernobbio. The villages round about are quite small but its more for the actual boat trip itself that I mentioned it.

If you decided to splash out and treat yourself the best thing I ever did from Como is take a seaplane ride (a few years ago it was around 100 per person) but the view was unforgettable.

Have a great time in Como
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:41 pm

For a short lake trip, take the waterbus up to TORNO - last stop on the regular commuting timetable and enjoy the church and the harbour and the little narrow streets. You could have the best Italian meal of your life (no pizzas!) at the Ristorante Belvedere overlooking the lake and harbour - try the Spaghetti alla Belvedere, Mama Ivonne's own secret recipe, suitable for vegetarians too - or a drink at the Bar Italia .......................

Or discover the botanical gardens - Giardini della Valle - stop at Cernobbio/Villa d'Este boat station and walk.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Second meandeing around Como if you have to choose that vs MXP.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick around the Como area, given the short time. I appreciate the advice!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:38 pm
B1

I spent a week in Como last year (because I had a meeting there) but I wonder why one would go there for a day trip from MXP based on my experience. You need to take things slowly along the lake, walk from Brunate or sit around. But you won't be part of anything because you'll be about to leave. There's no spectacular scenery, but rather an atmosphere that's unique. It's just one day, so why not get a good hotel in Milan, take it easy, and see some of the best they have to offer in that classy city? And go to Lake Como or Lugano or Luzern when you have some time.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Good advice. Como over Milan any day!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:07 pm

I went to Milan last year and honestly I wish I had spent my time at Lake Como instead. Milan is ok but I didn't find it that appealing. There were a lot of nice stores but I didn't go to Italy to primarily shop but instead to soak up the Italian culture. Honestly, Milan was the only city on my trip that I felt like was a waste of my time.
IA with everyone who stated Lake Como. If I ever visit Italy again I will definietely go there.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you go to Como, take the ferry to Bellagio. The ride offers great views of the lake and the mountains, and Bellagio is a great town. The funicular up the mountain is also enjoyable, but there's not much to do when you get to the top.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I guess that my orientation to history and culture, and the desire to see unique things that are not readily available in my home country, drive this type of decision.

Certainly if one is a natural scenery nut, the lake area is a suitable destination. To me, a lake is a lake is a lake. Lots of beautiful ones back home.

I think more about factors like the authorities are increasingly considering the Last Supper (Cenacolo) to be endangered by environmental stresses, and that there are already plans afoot to greatly restrict access to the refectory where the mural is located. I'm sure that anyone who passed on a visit to Stonehenge when it was possible to see it up close regrets not having done so.

It's true that, unless one is attending performances or fashion/trade shows, Milan does not warrant a long visit. But IMHO its short list of top attractions do warrant the attention of the short-duration visitor.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:34 pm

Lake Como

Hi I have been to both and I would say Lake Como is definitley the better option. I just love italy having been married in Malcesine in Lake Garda last year. Lake Como is just as beautiful and a "must see" in my opinion. Saying that if you are planning to return in the future you could always spend the day in Milan and return to Lake Como when you have more time to explore?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Lake Como...

is much nicer in terms of natural beauty. The train ride there is very scenic as well. Remember too that the airport in Milano is a distance from the city, if memory serves me correctly, a bit more than one hour (one way). Expensive cab ride (about $100 plus USD) or a much more reasonable motorcoach ride at about $10 USD per person each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.