Rome restaurant pays price after tourist rip-off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome restaurant pays price after tourist rip-off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
When I was in Venice last year, a gelato vendor near our hotel tried to rip us off. We bought 2 gelato that were 3 euro each. I only had a 50 euro banknote on me, so gave him that for it. He hands me back two 2 euro coins and smiles. I was shocked. He owed me 44 euros. When I started to argue with him, he acted like he did not know what I was talking about. He kept playing dumb until finally he saw I was getting really pissed off. He then proceeded to give me a 10 euro banknote, as if that was what I was looking for. I gave it back to him and said No and in italian said 40. I told him I would wait all night. He finally caved and gave me the 40. Worst part about it, is that the gelato sucked!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by GoCanes
When I was in Venice last year, a gelato vendor near our hotel tried to rip us off. We bought 2 gelato that were 3 euro each. I only had a 50 euro banknote on me, so gave him that for it. He hands me back two 2 euro coins and smiles. I was shocked. He owed me 44 euros. When I started to argue with him, he acted like he did not know what I was talking about. He kept playing dumb until finally he saw I was getting really pissed off. He then proceeded to give me a 10 euro banknote, as if that was what I was looking for. I gave it back to him and said No and in italian said 40. I told him I would wait all night. He finally caved and gave me the 40. Worst part about it, is that the gelato sucked!
That's really unfortunate it happened to you. In general, northern Italians are quite honest and don't "furbo" the tourists. It's a different story in Rome, Naples, Palermo, etc.. But good on ya for standing up to him. I would have gone a step further and after receiving the correct change, found the closest carabiniere or guardia di finanza. They are everywhere. One word to them and I guarantee that vendor wouldn't be playing that game. The carabinieri and guardia are known for being very honest and fair.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA: Platinum
Next May will be my 12th year in a row visiting Italy. I have never been ripped off by anyone. I assure you the Italian people are outraged when they hear that tourists are ripped off.

Italy is one country that appreciates tourists and understands how important they are to their economy.

I am not surprised at all to hear the authorities shut down the restaurant.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA: Platinum
Sorry but I must totally disagree with Travellin Huster's comments. I have been to Italy over 15 times in my life but never north of Tuscany.

I can not tell you how the people of Rome, Naples, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast have treated us so kindly over the years. The most honest people I have ever dealt with while traveling the world. (OK, one exception. The people of Australia are fantastic to tourists)
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:42 am

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...cli/index.html
Originally Posted by home222
Sorry but I must totally disagree with Travellin Huster's comments. I have been to Italy over 15 times in my life but never north of Tuscany.

I can not tell you how the people of Rome, Naples, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast have treated us so kindly over the years. The most honest people I have ever dealt with while traveling the world. (OK, one exception. The people of Australia are fantastic to tourists)
You have not been to most of the world I presume. If youngo to rural areas which have never seen tourists you will see true hospitality.

Another restaurant
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Bumping a 10 year old thread is often of little value.
Locking this up
Obscure2k
Italy Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.