Search

Restaurants in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I've been to "Da Augusto" with a Roman friend:
http://www.ft.com/arts/travel/rome/restaurants#item8

Good, simple and inexpensive food.
(Don't count on their restrooms, though)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please continue to follow this thread in the italy forum

regards

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:29 pm

www.vineriailchianti.com

Great casual restauarant near the Trevi Fountain.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
There is a place in Trastevere right off of Via Trastevere on via San Francisco a Ripa (sp?). It should be across from a Pasticceria/Gelateria and it was fantastic, though 4 years ago. Door should be black.. Sorry I can't come up with much else, most of my best dining experiences in Rome and Italy have been wandering around and just stumbling into places (try to make sure that the menu is not multi-lingual.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
on second thought (thanks wikitravel), it might be "La Fraschetta"

"Via San Francisco a Ripa, close to Viale Trastevere. Reputed to have the best gnocchi in the city, but it's only offered on Thursday nights. They offer four different sauces with gnocchi, and if you like cheese the best bet is gorgonzola. If you want to come on a Thursday, go early (it opens at 7pm), because by 9pm, the normal time to arrive at a restaurant in Rome, it will be packed"

pretty much fits the description of the place I was in, though we didnt have wikitravel nor the knowledge of the gnocchi.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:20 am

I love Osteria del Sostegno near the Pantheon. Reservations recommended. It's closed on Mondays.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
One of my favorites is Trattoria Monti, 13 Via San Vito. It's a small, family owned restaurant, a bit off-the-beaten tourist path but worth a slight detour to the Monti neighborhood. I've been going there for years and never had a meal I didn't love (and the desserts are to-die-for).
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:27 am

We spent the Easter week-end in Rome and went to three restaurants which were good:

- Federico I, via della Colonna Antonina : very nice fish restaurant

- Osteria Margutta, via Margutta 82: more meat oriented, but very good too

- Sicilia in Bocca, via Flaminia 391: inexpensive and good Sicilian restaurant
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Evangelista
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There's a little family-run place near Santa Susanna (the American Catholic Church in Rome) and the American Embassy called Da Giovanni where I had an excellent meal. I found it from the church's website.

A nice dinner that won't break the bank. With a half bottle of Chianti, water, 1st, 2nd, desert, and coffee, it was about 35 euro. I had a four cheese gnocchi special and a veal and ham brochette special.

"DA GIOVANNI" Via Antonio Salandra 1, tel. 06.485.950. Closed on Sundays and all of August. Located just two blocks from Santa Susanna Church -- on the corner of Via XX Settembre and Via Salandra. A family run restaurant -- you'll be greeted by Signora Vitucci (mention Fr. Greg's name and she'll smile) and her son Fabrizzio. The waiters' names are Vito and Andrea (brothers) and Antonio. The Agnolotti (pasta stuffed with veal) is the best -- as is the cannelonni when they have it. Fr. Greg likes the roasted chicken, but ask for a breast. Fr. Jerry likes anything with pancetta. The fish is very good too and they'll de-bone it right at the table and pour olive oil over it is if you say yes.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:23 am

Rome Restaurants

Two of my favorite subjects: Rome and restaurants. I will be making my 4th sojourn to Rome in September and have several restaurants targeted. I favor moderate to cheap with a focus on getting good value for the money. The type of place that people stand in line for. Here are a few that I plan to go to:

1. Filetti Baccala, Campo Fiori, Largo dei Librari 88. Serves fresh and tasty seafood. I saw it first on a Rick Steves program. One of the reviews I read said, "If you don't like fish, this place will likely change your opinion about it".

2. Pizzeria Baffetto, Near Piazza Navona & Pantheon, Via del Governo Vecchio 114. Suppose to be the best pizza in Rome.

3. Ritorante del Pallaro, near Campo Fiori, Largo del Pallaro 15. Fixed price menu 22€ -26€. Eight courses. Family run and prepared as if feeding extended family. Be prepared for Roman rudeness though.

4. Tazza D'Oro, near Pantheon, Via degli Orfani, 84. "The world's best cup of coffee".

5. Dino & Tony Hostaria-Pizzeria. Near the Vatican, Via Leone IV, 60. Wonderful family style restaurant. Mouth watering pizza, antipasti, and pasta.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG Gold, UA Premier Silver
Was there last fall and loved Hostaria Antica Roma out on the Appian Way (worth a stop if you're around there...or great for a group!) Can't get more "traditional," as one of their specialties is actual ancient Roman recipes.

http://www.anticaroma.it/
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:13 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

[QUOTE=CaWino;9527035]
2. Pizzeria Baffetto, Near Piazza Navona & Pantheon, Via del Governo Vecchio 114. Suppose to be the best pizza in Rome.

QUOTE]

Pizzeria Baffetto is indeed one of the best in town, always busy though! Also, one of my favourite is Hostaria dell'Orso di Gualtiero Marchesi, nor far from Piazza Navona. Enjoy!

Last edited by TheEyeTie; Apr 9, 2008 at 2:25 am Reason: Spelling.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: All of the above
Pizzaria Baffetto is worth the wait in line. Serves only Pizza (the best I've ever had) salad,bruschetta and home made wine
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:51 am

If you get to Da baffetto when they open (I believe 7),you can get immediate seating.
I agree with Osteria Margutta,but don't get this one confused with Il Margutta a very over rated vegetarian restaurant a couple blocks down.
Dino and Tony's is great,but del Pallaro could (IMHO)not really be rated as fine food. It is cheap ,interesting and great for a group.
One of my regualr stops is Gusto. A real favorite of locals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.