Wiki Posts
Search

Prada Outlet in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2001, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Prada Outlet in Italy

My friend wants to drive to the Prada Outlet south of Florence. Does anyone have an opinion if this outlet is worth the trip?
Old May 8, 2001, 4:14 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Don't know if that one in particular is...but haven't been at one that isn't worth a diversion...

Dorian
Old May 8, 2001, 4:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

I saw an article just last week in one of the major travel magazines saying that lines can be several HOURS long waiting to enter the outlet! If this is true, and if you go, find out the opening time and be there!
Old May 8, 2001, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I've heard the line can also be long and its great if you want last year/seasons duds. I'm not sure about sizing too. Sometimes the designer outlets are a bit limited on sizes. Great if you are a size 0 or a size 14 (I'm not sure Prada would make something that "large" ). However, if you are into the basics, shoes, purses and accessories, this might be your big chance for designer bargains.

I'm not sure I would go, but if it was a cartier or bulgari outlet, I would be first in line.

lala
Old May 8, 2001, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I was there 3 months ago. The outlet was well organized and we had to wait about 30 minutes to get in. They control the number of people that can enter and there were a few large Japanese tourist bus. We probably lucked out because just after we arrive another tourist bus came with a large bunch of people. Actually, I recognized the same bus when I was at the Gucci factory outlet earlier in the day.

In terms of what there is to buy, it has mostly last seasons things but they had a good selection. If you want only the newest thing, you probably won't find it there.

I also went to the Gucci outlet which was about 30 minutes drive away from the Prada outlet. When compared to Prada, Gucci was poorly organized and lack stock. I assume the stock in the outlet changes day-by-day. I rented a car and drove out there and then through the Chianti region to Siena and then back to Florence. I liked it better than taking a tour bus there!

lala, for Cartier and Bvlgari look at the prices if you go to Asia. I have found that prices out there are typically 30% less than the US and if you know someone it is even less. Just make sure you go to a well known store if not it could be a fake.

[This message has been edited by bagold (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Were the Prada prices a considerable bargain?
Old May 8, 2001, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Overall, I found the prices to be pretty good. I bought a pair of shoes that was about 50% cheaper than in the US. I find that prices in the Italian shops are about 20%-30% cheaper anyway so the difference between the Italian shops and the outlet is about 20%.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Aegean, BMI, Hilton, Leaders Club, SPG
Does anyone know if there is a sales period at the Prada Mall in Florence? Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:17 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Western Europe Forums.
O2K
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jkoul
Does anyone know if there is a sales period at the Prada Mall in Florence? Thanks!
I doubt it. The way the Prada "Outlet," or technically a factory store, works is they put out product when they open and most of the popular items are bought within the first few hours and then they do it again the following morning.
Here are the keys from my trip several years ago:
Take a train from Florence to the very small town of Montevarchi.
There were 3 taxis there which DID charge $10 to take you to the factory just a few miles away. They will insist that you call them to return to the train so you don't share a taxi with others at the store. They have an agreement and the Taxi may actually refuse to take you if you try to ride with others and they did not originally take you there.
You need to get there before they open. There is a numbering system outside the door so we got #1 and #2 by getting there really early. The key is beating the tour buses. Not literally but I mean getting there earlier than the buses. There is a very nice modern espresso/pastry shop next door that caters exclusively to the Prada customers waiting and the shop displays the numbers that are being allowed in the store.
So they will start with a few numbers (like say 1 - 10) and allow those customers to grab what they can while everyone else salivates outside the window. They will start allowing more people in and most of the popular items, bags, etc. will disappear. Occasionally, they will put out new product later in the day but most is taken in the first hour. What is nice is what they are NOT just putting out last season’s style but they are putting out some current product and even factory one-of-kind samples which I have bought there. They have a lot more product in the back, after all it is the Prada factory, but they really pace things by just putting out a limited amount each day. Some slower moving items like certain shoes, ties, suits, and white dress shirts are always available so be sure to concentrate on the “hot” items first. As usual European sizes are smaller so loose some weight or just get a bag.

As far as that old post from 2001 that asks if it is a "considerable bargain" if you have to ask it may not be. The poor U.S. dollar exchange rate has the biggest effect. For those that know Prada prices the prices are lower than the retail stores and many of the bags blow out within minutes of opening but you still pay hundreds of dollars for many items. Unfortunately, there are so many fake ripoff products out there on Ebay, etc. that people's cost expectations are too high. Some have the impression that people cannot tell that they have a fake item when that is not true at all. For example, salespeople at fine department stores know right away when you walk in based on the design, wear pattern, color, etc. I have had numerous discussions about this and if only the poser with the fake bag knew that everyone knows their bag is fake.
There are two Prada outlets in the U.S. called “Space.” One in Cabazon, CA near Palm Springs and one in New York. The Cabazon one does not have a great selection but if you can find something you like you can save up to 50% from the retail price and sometimes more for closeouts which it will still cost hundreds of dollars.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:01 am

Thank you very much for your help and valuable information.

I was actually planning to get there quite early (and keep the phone number of the taxi that will take us), so I'm glad you are confirming that I'm doing the right thing

I also do not expect to find "amazing" bargains, but I'm sure everything is considerably discounted, so I'm sure I'll be able to find quite a few stuff to buy.

The good thing is, that I live in Greece, so the USD-EUR currency difference does not affect me. It's good to know though that there is also a prada outlet in Palm Springs, CA and in New York which I can visit during my next visit to the US.

Again thanks a lot!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I think the bigger question is what time of the year do they put out the most new stuff. I know the U.S. outlets do have sales with an additional 50% clearance mark down but I don't know the timing of them. It is possible that Montevarchi does as well. The business is a very non-descript factory with no Prada signs last time I was there.
I still have pictures of my #1 and #2. The Taxi from the train station will give you a phone number on a business card. I hope the espresso shop is still there. It was quite a nice place to wait before they started letting people in. My spouse purchased a jacket with a fur collar that was over $3,000 U.S. in the stores for only $500 U.S. but again that was several years ago when exchange rates were better.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:30 am

So would you suggest I shop at one of the US Prada outlets, or is the one in Italy better (quality and price-wise)?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA
Hi,

The Prada outlet in Montevarchi is worth the trip depending on what you are looking for. I go there every few months for shoes, clothing for men is not that much of a deal. In fact I should go again next weekend.

They do have a sale period which is usually from mid-january for the winter season.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fiumicino
Hi,

The Prada outlet in Montevarchi is worth the trip depending on what you are looking for. I go there every few months for shoes, clothing for men is not that much of a deal. In fact I should go again next weekend.

They do have a sale period which is usually from mid-january for the winter season.
Well I was planning on going there with my girlfriend. She wants bags and I want shoes mainly. Of course I'm sure we will find other stuff to buy also

Anyway, if there is a sales period in January, I think I'll just plan a trip for the end of that month, and hope for the best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.