Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Milan - which neighborhood for a modest hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Will be flying in and out of MXP, but heading out to other places the day after arrival. It's been many years since I was in Milan, and I don't know the neighborhoods. Can someone suggest where to stay for 1 night that is reachable easily by transit, and hopefully within walking distance of the Duomo? Hoping for somewhere decent for a modest budget, not 5*.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 2:55 am

Just so that we can help, can you be a bit more precise? For instance, are you travelling with baggage, what constitutes 'walking distance' for you, what sort of budget do you have, where are you planning on going next?

If you're taking the train from Malpensa, you'll be arriving at either Garibaldi, Centrale or Cadorna. Cadorna is the closest one to the Duomo, about 1.5km on foot. Personally, I'd look for a hotel between Cadorna, Sant'Ambrogio and Cordusio.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
If "modest budget" is simply "under € 100/night", the B&B Hotel Stazione Centrale (https://www.hotel-bb.com/it/hotel/mi...entral-station) should do the trick. Chain hotel (i.e. a bit soulless), clean, good facilities, good location near central station.

Most of the other good and cheap places, especially in the outskirts, require a bus/tram ride from the stations (or in the outskirts, a car) to get there (e.g. the B&B Hotel Cenisio is usually cheaper than the one at Stazione Centrale, but is located north of the city centre near the main cemetary, in an urban industrial environment close to the tram depot - near a metro station and a direct tram to Duomo though). Avoid the dumps around Lambrate station and Piazzale Loreto.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
Just so that we can help, can you be a bit more precise? For instance, are you travelling with baggage, what constitutes 'walking distance' for you, what sort of budget do you have, where are you planning on going next?

If you're taking the train from Malpensa, you'll be arriving at either Garibaldi, Centrale or Cadorna. Cadorna is the closest one to the Duomo, about 1.5km on foot. Personally, I'd look for a hotel between Cadorna, Sant'Ambrogio and Cordusio.
Probably will have a roll-aboard + small item, prefer not to walk more than a few blocks with the bags, but can handle buses. Without the bags, walking distance is up to 2 miles to get somewhere. Hope to find something under €100. Current plan is train to Ravenna the next day.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
If "modest budget" is simply "under € 100/night", the B&B Hotel Stazione Centrale (https://www.hotel-bb.com/it/hotel/mi...entral-station) should do the trick. Chain hotel (i.e. a bit soulless), clean, good facilities, good location near central station.
Thanks, that's helpful.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:45 am

I'd go for a train into Cadorna, a hotel in the area I suggested and then a walk in that zone. Centrale's surroundings can be rather unsavoury, and it's about 3km to the Duomo from C.le.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I'd stay near Central Train Station. You probably find some hotel slightly higher than €100.
From MXP by airport express train direct to Central Station.
I had stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton last year. Excellent hotel. Took me less than 10 minute walk with luggage from the station. Few restaurants nearby.
You can go almost anywhere in Italy by train. Hence the train station hotel is ideal.
Take the Metro to Duomo.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
The Ibis nearish to Stazione Centrale is clean and reasonably priced: https://all.accor.com/hotel/0933/index.en.shtml
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
...{snip}...Centrale's surroundings can be rather unsavoury, and it's about 3km to the Duomo from C.le.
A bit exagerated! It's about 2.3 km away (30 min. walk) and one can always take the Metro to the Scala (for me, much more interesting than the Duomo nearby ).
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
A bit exagerated! It's about 2.3 km away (30 min. walk) and one can always take the Metro to the Scala (for me, much more interesting than the Duomo nearby ).
Hey take it with mr Google. BTW this is the route I thought of using when walking, through Pisani, Google by itself was suggesting a 100mt detour...

Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
The walk from Centrale to the Duomo is flat and not unpleasant. There is also the metro. It's easy to get tickets and its quick.
You are spoilt for choice with hotels around Centrale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.