Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Basilicata recs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Looking for Basilicata recs

We’re going to drive from Naples to Salento and want to spend 2 days/1 night exploring Basilicata along the way. I’d appreciate suggestions for awesome places to stay and things to do (other than Matera, which is already on the radar).
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:35 am

The Basilicata Ionian coast is quite nice. Other things, on top of my head, Metaponto (Greek ruins), the ghost village of Craco and the 'Dolomites' in the area of Castelmezzano.
obscure2k and azul like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:18 pm

Given the time you actually have I am not sure how you have time to see more than Matera ???
15 min. drive outside of Matera there the Crypt of the Original Sin ; which is a preserved rock church with frescos ; can buy tickets online

Otherwise....
Pietrapertosa and Castelmezzano are in Basilicata (2 very pretty mountain towns and there is a zip line type ride you can go on between the ridge connecting the 2 towns ; think it is called Flight of The Angels or similar).

Paestum (famous historical Greek temples in excellent condition). Don't think this is in Basilicata technically but on your drive it may not be far off your route. There is also a famous Mozzarella farm in this town many will combine that with the ruins in Paestum.

Have not been to Craco as mentioned in the post above but it does look like a cool place to stop. Though if going to Matera not sure you need to see both?
azul likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mreynolds767
Paestum (famous historical Greek temples in excellent condition). Don't think this is in Basilicata technically but on your drive it may not be far off your route. There is also a famous Mozzarella farm in this town many will combine that with the ruins in Paestum.
Paestum is in Campania, on the coast south of Salerno. Definitely not in Basilicata, technically or practically
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Paestum is in Campania, on the coast south of Salerno. Definitely not in Basilicata, technically or practically
Yes, I am aware of where it is and still think it may be valuable for the OP.
The OP wanted stops / things to do not too far out of the way they intended to drive.

The fastest driving route for the OP would not even go into Basilicata at all ; once you route the trip going through Basilicata you will see Paestum is a possible stopping point. Slightly out of the way, but not drastically so and in Italy the reality is no stop is ever on the way.
If they decide on Matera or on the Pietrapertosa/Castelmezzano as an overnight stop in Basilicata ; Paestum could be a day time stop before they get there.
Basilicata is one of the least populated areas in Italy and there are not going to be a ton of great options.
The OP may decide that Paestum is too close from their starting point of Naples, but personally would take the scenic even if stressful and longer drive time way through the Amalfi Coast ; then would be up for a rest by the time I got past Salerno making Paestum a perfect stop for lunch and some afternoon site seeing. From there continue on to either Matera or Pietrapertosa/Castelmezzano to reach in time for sunset ; stay the night and a few hours the following day before continuing onto the final destination.

What is your helpful contribution to where the OP should look into?

OP: if you are not already aware. Visiting towns by car along the drive somewhere else in Italy is not as convenient as it is in the US and other places. Towns often need to take some back roads off the main road, often you cannot drive into the town center so may have to park outside of town and walk in ; all of which takes time. Not to mention the usual caveat about it being unsafe to leave any valuables in your car when visiting another place. Make sure to research any ZTL areas near any points of interest before your trip so avoid them. GPS directions can take you right into them which can be a very costly mistake.
obscure2k and azul like this.

Last edited by mreynolds767; Feb 3, 2023 at 8:01 am
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: ITA
Absolutely Maratea.
It is on 30km od Tyrrenian coast of Basilicata. Awesome place, spent last summer vacations there.
azul likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mreynolds767
Yes, I am aware of where it is and still think it may be valuable for the OP.
The OP wanted stops / things to do not too far out of the way they intended to drive.

The fastest driving route for the OP would not even go into Basilicata at all ; once you route the trip going through Basilicata you will see Paestum is a possible stopping point. Slightly out of the way, but not drastically so and in Italy the reality is no stop is ever on the way.
If they decide on Matera or on the Pietrapertosa/Castelmezzano as an overnight stop in Basilicata ; Paestum could be a day time stop before they get there.
Basilicata is one of the least populated areas in Italy and there are not going to be a ton of great options.
The OP may decide that Paestum is too close from their starting point of Naples, but personally would take the scenic even if stressful and longer drive time way through the Amalfi Coast ; then would be up for a rest by the time I got past Salerno making Paestum a perfect stop for lunch and some afternoon site seeing. From there continue on to either Matera or Pietrapertosa/Castelmezzano to reach in time for sunset ; stay the night and a few hours the following day before continuing onto the final destination.

What is your helpful contribution to where the OP should look into?
You wrote "technically not Basilicata" when the place is completely in another region and not even near the border of Basilicata, so I replied to your post - adding also an emote to show it was done a bit jokingly.

By the way, I'm Italian, I know various areas in Campania (I have relatives there, not so far from Paestum, by the way), Calabria (I have relatives and a family house there and visit every year), Puglia (went on vacation in 2021), but for a lot of places that non-Europeans find appealing I can't give suggestion because I don't like them or find them not interesting. Like Basilicata.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:52 am

No hard feelings ; I consider it a miscommunication. To me technically not in means/meant it is NOT in the region at all but I had a logical reason to mention it regardless of that fact. I think you interpreted that differently.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:18 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by azul
We’re going to drive from Naples to Salento and want to spend 2 days/1 night exploring Basilicata along the way. I’d appreciate suggestions for awesome places to stay and things to do (other than Matera, which is already on the radar).
Basilicata has a variety of archeological sites containing traces of Prehistoric, Greek, Roman and Jewish heritage:

Civita, Tricarico
Grumentum
Heraclea
Metapontum
Jewish catacombs of Venosa
Notarchirico
Petre de la Mola
Serra di Vaglio
Venusia
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Btw, thank you for the Paestum recommendation. We made plans to spend the night at an agriturismo/caseficio and we are really looking forward to it!
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by azul
Btw, thank you for the Paestum recommendation. We made plans to spend the night at an agriturismo/caseficio and we are really looking forward to it!
Mmmmmmm, mozarella di bufala!

Sorry, off topic, but by the way, supposedly the reason they have mozarella di bufala and not the (cow) fior di latte kind in Campania (they do up in Monte Faito, though) and southern Lazio is becausein older times cows were not resistant to the Plasmodium strain that was the predominant human malaria pathogen in that area back then, while buffalos were. Se non e' vero e' ben trovato (neither of these animals will get malaria from human parasites nowadays).
azul and corky like this.

Last edited by KLouis; Feb 10, 2023 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Mmmmmmm, mozarella di bufala!

Sorry, off topic, but by the way, supposedly the reason they have mozrella di bufala and not the (cow) fior di latte kind in Campania (they do up in Monte Faito, though) and southern Lazio is because "back then" cows were not resistant to the Plasmodium strain that was the human malaria pathogen in that area back then, while buffles were. Se non e' vero e' ben trovato (neither of these animals will get malaria from human parasites nowadays).
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.