Small Town or Village near Bari to practice Italian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small Town or Village near Bari to practice Italian

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, yes, the do try. Buy on the rare occasion one gets a Napolitan DOC in Napoli utter Italian words in Italian, you now have the perfect example of a... circular argument (a completely different issue). The one, big advantage is that after a day or two you loose all fears of Napolitan, especially when you realize that, after all, it is not thaaat difficult and you try the Sones' advce: you can't always get what you waaaaaany... . Mind you, the above is true for Greeks in Napoli, i have a very good friends from Busto Arsizio who will only understand one word in Napolitan after having been down south tens of times: "si"!
"Napolitan DOC" hahahahah that is fantastic. A lot of the folks that immigrated at the same time as my parents are from Naples, so I can mostly understand what's going on. We have a good family friend who is Calabrese and probably needs subtitles in both English and Italian, and through that I can sort of stumble through Calabria. I have almost no idea what's going on by the time I get to Sicily, but what I don't understand in words, I do understand in hand gestures.
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
"Napolitan DOC" hahahahah that is fantastic. A lot of the folks that immigrated at the same time as my parents are from Naples, so I can mostly understand what's going on. We have a good family friend who is Calabrese and probably needs subtitles in both English and Italian, and through that I can sort of stumble through Calabria. I have almost no idea what's going on by the time I get to Sicily, but what I don't understand in words, I do understand in hand gestures.
You're probably part of the 0.01% of world population that don't need subtitles to understand Gomorra!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by 13901
You're probably part of the 0.01% of world population that don't need subtitles to understand Gomorra!
No, I still do, I assure you!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm mothertongue and I can get only 50% of the first minute or so. When Lino Banfi recognises Don Peppino it all flies out the window. Honest.
Jč davvero difficili quannu si incontra 'na persona cu parla u dialettu barese. Soprattutto si si proveni do' nord.

If you want immersion into something similar to standard Italian (nowhere speaks standard Italian, no matter what the Tuscans say), Bari would not be my first choice. Neither would Sicily, Sardinia, Calabria, Friuli, Trentino, northern Lombardy and Swiss Ticino, and even Veneto is borderline with their massive lisp (sorry, "voiceless fricative") where "Luciana" becomes "Luziana" - it's "Lusciana" in the South.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.