Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to get Covid test at Rome Airport for return to US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:21 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Is there a place to get the required Covid test for return to the US at the Rome Airport? If so, where? how much does it cost? How soon are there results?

And if not at the airport, where do I need to go? We will not be in Rome but driving there from southern Italy.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Have you already left the US? If not, you can mail order a telemedicine BinaxNOW COVID test for re-entry into the US. You perform the test supervised in your hotel room, and get the results in 30 minutes or so. You can buy the supervised kits from eMed or Optum. I went the optum route for a 3 pack, which was $99.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:47 am

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...at-the-airport
At the Terminal 3 Arrivals area, from 00:00 until 16:00 every day, a rapid or molecular swab service can be provided for all passengers departing from or arriving at Fiumicino at especially low prices, thanks to an agreement signed between Aeroporti di Roma and Istituto Spallanzani:
  • €20 for an antigen test, obtaining the test result within just half an hour;
  • €69.88 for a molecular test. The swab result can be pick up in person at the airport within 36 hours.

Tests can be paid for at the airport by credit card, ATM or directly by smartphone, using the contactless payment apps.

To access the service, you need to pre-register online on the following website www.adr.it/digital-health-pass
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yngdiego
You perform the test supervised in your hotel room, and get the results in 30 minutes or so. You can buy the supervised kits from eMed or Optum. I went the optum route for a 3 pack, which was $99.
How is the test run with no physical possession of the media?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How is the test run with no physical possession of the media?
I'm not sure I understand your question. You purchase a test kit online, it's mailed to your US address, you take it with you on your trip, and perform a supervised test in your hotel room before you return to the US. Your test results are saved in an app on your phone, so you can present them to the airline. Easy peasy, and my health savings account covered the cost too.
SanDiego1K and 8dimsum like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yngdiego
You can buy the supervised kits from eMed or Optum. I went the optum route for a 3 pack, which was $99.
Do you have a link for the Optum test?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
The testing facility in Fiumicino is actually very easy and efficient - no problems at all, and far cheaper than the at home/supervised test. Everyone speaks English and you should be on your way (assuming negative result) in under 30 minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
The testing facility in Fiumicino is actually very easy and efficient - no problems at all, and far cheaper than the at home/supervised test. Everyone speaks English and you should be on your way (assuming negative result) in under 30 minutes.
Do I need to make an appointment or is it walk up?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:54 pm

I'm inclined to do the test at a pharmacy in Rome, where I understand that rapid tests are readily available, rather than have it at the airport with baggage and the stress of having an extra thing to do at the airport in time for departure. Wherever you'll be 2-3 days before departure, you can Google tampone covid and the place name to get lists of testing locations.
SanDiego1K, BLV and 8dimsum like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do I need to make an appointment or is it walk up?
You do, but it’s relatively easy. See link above for website. I hear you can do walk-ups, but it does get busy at times, so if that’s your approach, plan extra time. I would bank 2hrs. just to be safe... bring a book and some water :-)
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:19 am

COVID-19 Home Tests | Optum Store

Only the $69 and $99 kits are supervised and meet the CDC requirements for re-entry into the US. Easy peasy!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
We left Rome on July 10 and got the test at the airport to fly back to the US. Register ahead of time to save a step. It was very fast and efficient. We received our results in about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:11 am

With the uptick in Delta variant, including those who are vaccinated, I'd recommend getting a rapid test 3 days before your flight. If you test positive, continue get tests done over the next 3 days. I know too many people who have done their testing at the airport right before there flight and have had a hell of a time when they tested positive. 4 friends over the past ~3 weeks (although none in Italy). This is new, though, as I used to just do it at the airport before my flight as well.
8dimsum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.