Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Entry requirements after June 21 -

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't know what more you Canadians can do than produce that PDF, or whatever it is you get when you get the vaccine. Italy's new policy is that Canadians can come in if fully-vaccinated. You aren't eligible for the EU Green Card, so you're in essentially the same position as us Americans. We show our CDC card; you show the document you received from your public health authority. I don't see what else you could possibly do.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:11 pm
mk2

Originally Posted by dhuey
I don't know what more you Canadians can do than produce that PDF, or whatever it is you get when you get the vaccine. Italy's new policy is that Canadians can come in if fully-vaccinated. You aren't eligible for the EU Green Card, so you're in essentially the same position as us Americans. We show our CDC card; you show the document you received from your public health authority. I don't see what else you could possibly do.
dhuey

Yep, I agree.
But here's the thing:
I am not worried at all about the arrival.
I love the EU border police everywhere. They've very lax and understanding, especially if you're a G7 citizen. And I'm almost certain that the receipts issued by the 13 provinces (which are 13 different kinds ) will be accepted by them. And if they request for me to login to the portal infront of them to verify that the printed PDF is legit, I can do that too.

However, as you know , the final decision maker for actually boarding the plane lies with the the checkin agent and gate agent at the departure airport.
And each airline is different, along with the different employees.
A Delta employee in Chicago's ORD might glance at your CDC card for a sec and wave you through ....but an Air Canada checkin agent at Pearson, if misinformed, or new, or too scared , might say no to the receipt because it says "receipt" or doesn't have the exact name of product "Comirnaty" ...etc etc (eventhough "we" the pax, know the receipt IS the cert , and Pfizer makes Cominarty and all humans vaccinated in the US & CANADA have been injected with the same Exact vaccine approved by the EMA.

Hence, my worry is with the airline agents (checkin and boarding) , that's why I'm asking for any field reports of anyone departing from Pearson or Montreal showing their Canadian receipt.
Harpagon likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by mk2
dhuey

Yep, I agree.
But here's the thing:
I am not worried at all about the arrival.
I love the EU border police everywhere. They've very lax and understanding, especially if you're a G7 citizen. And I'm almost certain that the receipts issued by the 13 provinces (which are 13 different kinds ) will be accepted by them. And if they request for me to login to the portal infront of them to verify that the printed PDF is legit, I can do that too.

However, as you know , the final decision maker for actually boarding the plane lies with the the checkin agent and gate agent at the departure airport.
And each airline is different, along with the different employees.
A Delta employee in Chicago's ORD might glance at your CDC card for a sec and wave you through ....but an Air Canada checkin agent at Pearson, if misinformed, or new, or too scared , might say no to the receipt because it says "receipt" or doesn't have the exact name of product "Comirnaty" ...etc etc (eventhough "we" the pax, know the receipt IS the cert , and Pfizer makes Cominarty and all humans vaccinated in the US & CANADA have been injected with the same Exact vaccine approved by the EMA.

Hence, my worry is with the airline agents (checkin and boarding) , that's why I'm asking for any field reports of anyone departing from Pearson or Montreal showing their Canadian receipt.
One option to allay your fears from an airline employee point of view is to check what Timatic says. I'm familiar with Altea DCS, which is what most airlines these days use (Air Canada I believe uses it, and so do Lufthansa and Air France for instance, and BA's is effectively using that too) and there's a keypad entry, for both check-in and gate environments, to Timatic.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Do bear in mind that the agent will see information for your end destination and transfer location if you're not flying direct. Also, if you're flying via the UK to enter Italy, the Italian gov't insists you self isolate for 5 days after arrival (which I find stupid but here you are).
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: Lots
Due to an Alitalia schedule change my CAI-FCO-MIA flight has been changed to CAI-FCO-CDG-MIA with an overnight in FCO. Are any Timatic experts able to tell me if I'll be able to enter Italy for the night? I think I'm out of luck but there is one reference that indicates someone travelling to their home country (US / US passport) via Italy can enter.

I looked at the https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html website referenced and it mentions "return to one's home, domicile or residence" but doesn't state anything about travelling via Italy.

Alternatively, if I'm not able to enter for the night, does anyone know if I'll be able to stay at the airport? Will they let me through at the transfer desk if my connecting flight isn't until the next morning?

Last edited by IggySD; Jun 28, 2021 at 7:58 am Reason: Clarified home country is US
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
What is it like entering Italy at an airport from Schengen at the moment? Do you go through border control?

Last edited by braiden9; Jun 28, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by braiden9
What is it like entering Italy at an airport from Schengen at the moment? Do you go through border control?
In some cases you might be asked by some airport employees to show your green pass or other similar documents, in other cases you're free to go. At least that was my experience - mind you, there wasn't any border control as such. This was at LIN.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
Due to an Alitalia schedule change my CAI-FCO-MIA flight has been changed to CAI-FCO-CDG-MIA with an overnight in FCO. Are any Timatic experts able to tell me if I'll be able to enter Italy for the night? I think I'm out of luck but there is one reference that indicates someone travelling to their home country (US / US passport) via Italy can enter.

I looked at the https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html website referenced and it mentions "return to one's home, domicile or residence" but doesn't state anything about travelling via Italy.

Alternatively, if I'm not able to enter for the night, does anyone know if I'll be able to stay at the airport? Will they let me through at the transfer desk if my connecting flight isn't until the next morning?
If you're a US citizen and fully vaccinated, then you should be OK. Also, there's an exception to the rule of self-isolation:

• anyone entering Italy for a period not exceeding 120 hours due to proven needs of work, health or absolute urgency, with the obligation, on expiry of that period, to leave the national territory immediately or, failing that, to begin the period of surveillance and fiduciary isolation;
  • any person transiting, by private means, through Italian territory for a period not exceeding 36 hours, with the obligation, at the end of that period, to leave the national territory immediately or, failing that, to begin the period of surveillance and trustee isolation in accordance with paragraphs 1 to 5 of Prime Ministerial Decree of March 2, 2021;
https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it...ngtoitaly.html
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by 13901
If you're a US citizen and fully vaccinated, then you should be OK. Also, there's an exception to the rule of self-isolation:

https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it...ngtoitaly.html
Thanks! Fully vaccinated since the spring so no issues there. Wasn't sure that a layover would meet a requirement for "urgent" entry but I guess it make sense. Also wasn't sure that commercial airline flights would qualify for that private transport clause but would only be in the country for ~12 hours. Was debating cancelling the flight but figure now I'll just book a backup flight with miles and cancel if I don't need it, availability seems pretty good.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:26 am

My husband and I, fully vaccinated US citizens, will be in Croatia for 2+ weeks prior to taking the ferry to Italy. As I understand it, I do NOT now need a covid test prior to entering Italy. However, I’m a little concerned that the CDC card may not suffice since we won’t be arriving directly from the US. I wonder if there will be a way to get a green certificate or if the decision card will be readily accepted.

Since we’re going in the fall, of course, the rules may (and, I imagine, will!) change again - and of course, travel restrictions may also change again.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by progol
My husband and I, fully vaccinated US citizens, will be in Croatia for 2+ weeks prior to taking the ferry to Italy. As I understand it, I do NOT now need a covid test prior to entering Italy. However, I’m a little concerned that the CDC card may not suffice since we won’t be arriving directly from the US. I wonder if there will be a way to get a green certificate or if the decision card will be readily accepted.

Since we’re going in the fall, of course, the rules may (and, I imagine, will!) change again - and of course, travel restrictions may also change again.
The autumn is a few million years away in Covid-times, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for the CDC cards being valid, when I entered Italy at LIN (coming from the UK on June 11th) the gentleman in front of me had a US passport. He had both the vaccination certificate and a negative test; however, as soon as he showed the certificate he was sent on his merry way. He asked "Don't you want to see my test too?" and the police told him that they didn't need.

I would perhaps do a cheap test, maybe of the kind you can do online with an advisor, just for your peace of mind.... and definitely return here (or, on viaggiaresicuri.it) closer to date to check how things are.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by 13901
The autumn is a few million years away in Covid-times, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for the CDC cards being valid, when I entered Italy at LIN (coming from the UK on June 11th) the gentleman in front of me had a US passport. He had both the vaccination certificate and a negative test; however, as soon as he showed the certificate he was sent on his merry way. He asked "Don't you want to see my test too?" and the police told him that they didn't need.

I would perhaps do a cheap test, maybe of the kind you can do online with an advisor, just for your peace of mind.... and definitely return here (or, on viaggiaresicuri.it) closer to date to check how things are.
I completely agree that the Fall is a million years away in Covid time! Thanks for sharing your recent observation - it’s good to know that the card is accepted. We’ll just keep following the evolution of travel over the summer and, fingers crossed, we will be going!
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:46 pm

Can somebody with better knowledge please enlighten me. Can I transit Italy while departing from UK with a final destination in another EU country (Poland)? 2 separate tickets, I'm also EU citizen. If yes, what is max length of the transit and what testing requirements will I have (unvaccinated)?

There are some information about transit in private vehicle up to 36 hours, but I can't find anything specific about transiting via public transport (plane/bus/train).
On UNECE it says that: "EU citizens entering the EU from a third country, as well as their family members, irrespective of their nationality, are exempted from the travel restrictions regardless of whether or not they are returning to their country of nationality or residence." - I don't really get it? Are they exempt from any restrictions?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by casper.slo
Can somebody with better knowledge please enlighten me. Can I transit Italy while departing from UK with a final destination in another EU country (Poland)? 2 separate tickets, I'm also EU citizen. If yes, what is max length of the transit and what testing requirements will I have (unvaccinated)?

There are some information about transit in private vehicle up to 36 hours, but I can't find anything specific about transiting via public transport (plane/bus/train).
On UNECE it says that: "EU citizens entering the EU from a third country, as well as their family members, irrespective of their nationality, are exempted from the travel restrictions regardless of whether or not they are returning to their country of nationality or residence." - I don't really get it? Are they exempt from any restrictions?
The official line is that as a EU citizen you can enter, full stop. You will need to have had a test beforehand (done 48 hours before entering Italy) in order to board the flight (or a vaccination, but that doesn't apply in your case). Then, because it's a UK arrival, you'd need to self isolate and do another test.

The two exceptions that are quoted are a) up to 120 hours if you're entering Italy for proven needs of work, health or utmost emergency or - as you said - because you're transiting in a private vehicle.

Personally I'd say that you'll be allowed on the flight from the UK, provided you've tested negative for Covid. Once arrived, I think there are two choices: if the airport (I'm thinking MXP, or FCO) have a transit facility, use that one especially if you're hand-baggage only or have managed to interline the bags. If not, then I'd simply go through passport control and be honest about it; you'll also need to have filled in the PLF to state you're not stopping in Italy.

My advice, if I may, would be not to do a self-connection in these times. I don't know why you don't want to fly directly to Poland (I think LOT and Wizzair, plus perhaps Ryanair, are flying there from the UK) but it just adds risk.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Hi FTers: Trying to figure out some intricacies with an upcoming trip, and I'd like some help/confirmation about my understanding before making any arrangements. I have an itinerary that takes me from SEA-MEX-CDG on Aeromexico/Air France. I would like to visit Italy for three days, but I don't know if transiting through Mexico City places restrictions on my entry into Italy. I'm a fully vaccinated U.S. Citizen, but I'm not sure if that matters in this situation. Thanks for your institutional knowledge.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by flyinhwn
Hi FTers: Trying to figure out some intricacies with an upcoming trip, and I'd like some help/confirmation about my understanding before making any arrangements. I have an itinerary that takes me from SEA-MEX-CDG on Aeromexico/Air France. I would like to visit Italy for three days, but I don't know if transiting through Mexico City places restrictions on my entry into Italy. I'm a fully vaccinated U.S. Citizen, but I'm not sure if that matters in this situation. Thanks for your institutional knowledge.
Is your visit planned after you enter France? How would you want to arrive in Italy (plane, trane, car, boat, foot)? And, last but not least, what's your nationality and vaccination status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.