Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Entry requirements after June 21 -

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by 13901

There are some exceptions but none apply to somebody who transfers through the UK as a passenger. It goes beyond that, to the point that you can enter Italy for work reasons from India but you cannot at all avoid quarantine from the UK.
I read this too - this is ridiculous given the alleged origins of the Delta variant...
Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks for posting this. Am I (J&J vaccine on 1 April) reading this correctly that for my 8 July trip -- San Francisco>Paris CDG>Venice -- I will not need a negative test for entry?
That is my take on it. I have an early July flight SFO-AMS-MAD, few days in MAD, then onto VCE and everything looks like it just requires vaccination card.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rule is characteristically not well explained (which is on par with the one that was introduced when the Kent variant appeared). Right now - annoyingly viaggiaresicuri's questionnaire is still offline - the only source I can find is in Italian and reads as follow (rough translation to follow):

Viaggiare Sicuri

What it says is, leaving all the legalese preamble at the top:
  1. If you entered or transited through the UK in the 14 days prior to coming to Italy you will need:
    1. an antigen or PCR test done at least 48hrs before entering Italy. test must be negative
    2. Five days' of self isolation at your domicile as well as informing the local health authorities of your arrival in country
    3. at the end of these 5 days, another test
    4. (what it doesn't say, but goes without saying, is that you'll need to have filled in the EU PLF)
Now, the rule doesn't say when the 5 days start but I'd err on the side of caution and consider arrival day as day zero.
With regards to testing, I don't think your LFD provided by the UK government is going to cut it. You'll need to get in touch with the local health authority (ASL, ULSS, it really depends), inform them of your arrival and book a test through them / get directions to, say, a drive-thru test or whatever. This is a system that is thought for Italian residents or anyway people who know the place. for instance it's highly likely that local authorities won't speak English and might not have an online service.

For instance, the local health authorities of the Padua province (ULSS 6 Euganea) have created this website and this form for those who, and the language here is quite key, are "returning" from the UK. The message between the line is that tourism isn't considered.

If you know where you're going I can give you a hand; otherwise my suggestion would be either to postpone your trip to Italy (this order lasts until July 30th, it might be revoked on the following Monday) or, frankly, go elsewhere if you can. Then of course there's the last option of ignoring the rule but... it's not something I'd recommend doing. In 99% of cases it might all be fine and dandy but there's that 1% where it isn't. Say for instance you get stopped by a Carabinieri checkpoint looking for drink-drivers. You might be stone-cold sober but if you're meant to be self isolating and you're not... you're still somebody who can be fined and they can hit their target of people to fine.
Shouldn't the test be AT MOST 48 hours before entering Italy? "At least" would imply that a test from six months ago is fine.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by olouie
That is my take on it. I have an early July flight SFO-AMS-MAD, few days in MAD, then onto VCE and everything looks like it just requires vaccination card.
Conde Nast Traveler reads it the same way we do:

U.S. Tourists Can Now Travel to Italy without Quarantining
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...t-quarantining

I just filled out the E.U. Digital Passenger Locator form and got the return email for it with Q code.

So, anyone please correct me if I'm missing something, but Air France at SFO will demand to see 1) my passport (duh), 2) my E.U. Digital Passenger Locator, and 3) my CDC vaccination card. These three documents will get me through Paris CDG and out of the airport in Venice. That's my plan and hope, at least.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve got a similar plan next week. We’re flying ORD-AMS-VCE and my understanding is that all I’ll need is my passport, my CDC vaccination card, and the digital PLF. Does anyone else have a different interpretation (or, better, experience) of the new rules?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:36 pm

Given my understanding of Italy's current rules, it seems to me the most likely mistake Americans might make is connecting through the U.K. It would be easy not to notice that this would trigger the five-day self-quarantine requirement that applies for U.K. visitors. I don't see any exception to that for those who merely connect at a U.K. airport.

Stay away from Heathrow, my friends!
QT31415, LETTERBOY, m.y and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Given my understanding of Italy's current rules, it seems to me the most likely mistake Americans might make is connecting through the U.K. It would be easy not to notice that this would trigger the five-day self-quarantine requirement that applies for U.K. visitors. I don't see any exception to that for those who merely connect at a U.K. airport.

Stay away from Heathrow, my friends!
This is exactly why I changed from connecting in LHR to flying into MAD for a few days on each side of my trip. Bonus is that J fares to MAD are cheap so that saved me some $$$ to spend in Italy.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Joe McGarey
Does anyone have anymore information / experience on the new Italian requirement of UK arrivals to self-isolate for 5 days? I have looked around and cannot find any official advice on when the 5 day period starts and officially ends
I also have the same question, I’m hoping day 1 is the day of arrival? Therefore day 5 is the fifth day in Italy. But appreciate its not at all clear.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:15 pm

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto

Site was just updated. Good news!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by olouie
on plane with limited access can someone paraphrase please?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by QT31415
on plane with limited access can someone paraphrase please?
If you're a fully-vaccinated American, you can enter with just your CDC vaccination card and a completed E.U. Digital Passenger Locator. No need for a negative test. Just make sure you don't transit through the U.K. as that would trigger a five-day self-quarantine requirement.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
I also have the same question, I’m hoping day 1 is the day of arrival? Therefore day 5 is the fifth day in Italy. But appreciate its not at all clear.
Arrival is day 0; I've been told so (verbally) at Linate airport the other day. Having said that, what matters is getting a test on the 5th day, which effectively means getting a result on the 6th. Frankly, if you're coming from the UK and aren't visiting for life or death situations I'd give Italy a miss. Maybe after July things will change, if the UK manages to get a lid on the Delta variant outbreak.

The mood in Italy is of cautious optimism: cases are down, half the country has got at least one vaccination, basically everyone in my social circle has been jabbed at least once and it's marvellous to see 50-60-70 years olds downloading the IO app and their green travel certificate when, previously, they wouldn't touch a laptop or smartphone with a barge pole. The few news that come from the UK are painting the situation in almost cataclysmic terms (which isn't the situation, of course) but the parallels with December and the Kent variant are in everyone's mind. So government (over)reacts.
annaschummi likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: ITA
Obligatory masks enforcement will be lifted on June 28th, for staying outside only. Mask will still has to be weared inside and in places where interpersonal distance cannot be guaranteed.
I was on Arena di Verona opening concert last Saturday. Everybosy MUST wear FPP2 mask (a bit weird, it was not written on the ticket, but as a matter of fact they did not let you in if you don't have it. So one has to exit the queue, go to the nearest shop, buy it for 1,50 euro and get into the queue again), but as you get sitted, you take it away and nobody enforces it. Seems more a sponsorship for the next door store. While on Frecciarossa train I was alone and was asked to keep my mask up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by annaschummi
Obligatory masks enforcement will be lifted on June 28th, for staying outside only. Mask will still has to be weared inside and in places where interpersonal distance cannot be guaranteed.
I was on Arena di Verona opening concert last Saturday. Everybosy MUST wear FPP2 mask (a bit weird, it was not written on the ticket, but as a matter of fact they did not let you in if you don't have it. So one has to exit the queue, go to the nearest shop, buy it for 1,50 euro and get into the queue again), but as you get sitted, you take it away and nobody enforces it. Seems more a sponsorship for the next door store. While on Frecciarossa train I was alone and was asked to keep my mask up.
Would a N95 mask work? Or has to be FPP2 rated? Not sure how they check the actual rating.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: OW
Arrival is day 0; I've been told so (verbally) at Linate airport the other day. Having said that, what matters is getting a test on the 5th day, which effectively means getting a result on the 6th. Frankly, if you're coming from the UK and aren't visiting for life or death situations I'd give Italy a miss. Maybe after July things will change, if the UK manages to get a lid on the Delta variant outbreak.
Appreciate not life or death as you say (wedding), is my understanding correct that as a fully vaccinated UK-only passport holder if entering Italy after being outside the UK for 14 whole days (Greece) and assuming all tests negative, on the basis of the rules today, I can enter Italy without being required to do the 5-day quarantine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.