Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans to go to Italy anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Marambio
For comparison, most rental houses near the beach in France are fully booked for the whole summer.
Not only on the coasts, but almost everywhere if you are looking for a comfortable house and with a pool. For instance, the beautiful Périgord region is fully booked for the whole summer since several weeks.

coming back to Italy, I am sure the numerous nice places will be booked too. I am not too worried, especially if Americans can come.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: ITA
Just got back from a long weekend in Venice before foreign tourists arrive. San Marco is completely empty, sort of a weird scene. Some local tourists on Saturday, but the except for Saturday, the city is empty.
Here in Liguria though plenty of French, German and Dutch tourists already.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:45 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I thought Italy wasn't suppose to be open until May 14 or 15.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Southwest, Spirit, Alaska
Just snagged a fairly good deal on two business class seats for next year. We'll be arriving late March 2022 and returning early April. Originally was supposed to go last year but had my flight canceled like everyone else. Current flight complies with the current Covid-Tested flights scheme which is in place until October 2021 which requires advance covid testing and another covid test on arrival. I have hopes I'll just be able to show my proof of vaccination by that time but who knows?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
People are going....I went to grab some mileage tickets for my son - he's planning to hike the Alta Via in July. There were tons of tickets available (Wednesday) but when I went back today to get another ticket for a friend, most direct routings were gone, leaving only the dregs.... The kids are counting on the vaccination passports happening, so with easily refundable mileage tickets, whats to lose?
Old May 22, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Heading to Rome next week from Athens. Going to spend 2 weeks taking the train up to Florence, Milan, Venice. Should be cute!
Old May 22, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: ITA
Booked a long weekend in Chianti for beginning of June. When I started looking at places to stay a month ago, there was plenty of choice. Now it seems almost sold out, very few places to choose.
If one comes to Italy, I strongly suggest to reserve a table for Friday and Saturday dinners well in advance, from Michel star restaurant to a trattoria in a godforsaken place.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Going over on June 20th for a few days in Milan. I have couple of things I want to see in Milan: (1) the Last Supper, and (2) the rooftop and tour of the Duomo, and (3) Lake Como and Bellagio. Interestingly, I have a Globus tour that begins and ends in Milan next year that focuses on N Italy and Cinque Terre, but does not include the 3 things listed above. This will permits me to restrict that trip solely to the tour schedule instead of staying longer, and helps scratch my travel itch.

On another note, has anyone already traveled back to the US from MXP? The CDC requires a Covid test in the 3 days preceding the return flight MXP-USA, yet the MXP website states 48 hours. I'd also like to confirm that they will do a rapid antigen test for the return at the same location as the arrivals testing.

TIA
Old May 28, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Planning on going to Italy in September for 3 weeks from the US. Starting with a good friend's wedding in Amalfi that was pandemic postponed. Fully vaxxed. Are we thinking everything is going to be open by then?
Old May 28, 2021, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Planning on going to Italy in September for 3 weeks from the US. Starting with a good friend's wedding in Amalfi that was pandemic postponed. Fully vaxxed. Are we thinking everything is going to be open by then?
Short and sweet: too early to say. However there are reasons for cautious optimism:
  1. According to the Sole24Ore, Italy's business paper, a number of regions (Lombardy, Piedmont, Emilia, Lazio & Apulia) are going 'white' - i.e. most limitations are gone - from June 14th
  2. Mask wearing outside still remains, as well as indoors, but there are indications that the limit might be lifted in July
  3. Vaccinations are continuing at a good pace, everyday there's between 450 and 550k jabs and, by September, projections are that 65-70% of Italians will be fully vaccinated.
Having said that, Amalfi is in Campania, which has so far lagged a bit behind in terms of vaccinations and has a very gung-ho governor, so things might be less advanced there. Also, September is when Italy returns to work and school. Last year cases went ballistic then.

Bottom line = watch this space
obscure2k and KLouis like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Yes!

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children (ages 10 & 12) planning a trip to Italy (July/August 2021) and have booked the flights. 3 of the 4 are totally vaccinated, but the little one not yet. Italian Consulate in LA not responsive (FB, email, and phone calls) to our requests for information about Italy entry requirements. Hardly any specific information on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website! We don't mind PCR testing 72-hours prior to taking the initial flight, and we are fine with wearing masks in public.

What are the requirements! Any input is appreciated
Old May 30, 2021, 8:19 pm

We're waiting for word on what the requirements will be at that time. Are you booked on a flight currently listed as COVID-tested from the U.S. to Italy?
Old May 31, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We are booked on an AA flight

Not sure where to find such COVID-tested flights list
Old May 31, 2021, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We are booked on an AA flight

Not sure where to find such COVID-tested flights list
The Italian government allows COVID-tested flights from these airports and countries:

it is possible for airlines to operate "Covid-tested" flights on the following routes:
  • Atlanta - Rome Fiumicino
  • New York - Rome Fiumicino
  • Atlanta - Milan Malpensa
  • New York - Milan Malpensa
By order of 14 May 2021, at Fiumicino and Malpensa Airports, ‘Covid-tested’ flights are also operational from:
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • United Arab Emirates
The same ordinance also allowed trials of ‘Covid-tested’ flights to Naples ‘Capodichino’ Airport and Venice ‘Marco Polo’ Airport.
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...nu=vuoto&tab=9

It's down to the airlines to jump on the bandwagon.

AdR, the Rome FCO airport operator, offers more info:

1. Alitalia flights from New York JFK,
  2. American Airlines from Dallas DFW and New York JFK
  3. United Airlines from New York Newark EWR
  4. Delta Air Lines flights from Atlanta ATL and from New York JFK
Source & info on procedures for both arrivals & departures
https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ts-procedures#

As for Milan MXP I found this:

1. New York on Delta Air Lines flight DL 118,
  2. American Airlines flight AA198,
  3. United Airlines UA809
  4. Emirates Airlines EK206
from the United Arab Emirates:
  1. Emirates Airlines EK205 and EK091 flights
  2. Etihad Airways EY81 e EY87 flights
Following the Ordinance of May 14, passengers can fly to Italy from USA, Canada, Japan and United Arab Emirates on Covid Tested Flights for tourism purposes.
Source & more info: https://www.milanomalpensa-airport.c...tested-flights
Kalboz likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by 13901
The Italian government allows COVID-tested flights from these airports and countries:

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...nu=vuoto&tab=9

It's down to the airlines to jump on the bandwagon.

AdR, the Rome FCO airport operator, offers more info:

Source & info on procedures for both arrivals & departures
https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ts-procedures#

As for Milan MXP I found this:

Source & more info: https://www.milanomalpensa-airport.c...tested-flights
Thank you for such a comprehensive summary. This will be of a great help!

We are booked on AA240 DFW-FCO, which should be okay!
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.