Plans to go to Italy anyone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans to go to Italy anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:48 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by annaschummi
It took us 2,5 hours to get back from Rapallo to Genoa due to heavy traffic,so there are really many many people hanging around.
And this is exactly to stop those movements that now a full lockdown without exceptions on weekends is discussed now and will come into force immediately. Flatten the curve and vaccinating massively will improve things in a couple of month hopefully.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
I flew on Delta JFK to FCO on Friday the 12th, then flew back FCO to ATL on the 13th for an urgent medical delivery. BLUF: Follow COVID testing PRE Departure to get into Italy and then to get back to the USA TO THE LETTER. You should also have a damn good reason, in writing, that you are trying to enter Rome. I was fortunate to have Italian customs documentation specifying the urgency of my visit...but still had to explain in detail to satisfy the immigration agent at FCO. I personally watched two other younger male travelers being denied passage through immigration and led off by Policia...and they weren't too happy.. Now that Rome is RED, good luck finding a place to stay or eat. Friday, I was one of only THREE visitors staying in an IHG property....and was the only one fortunate to eat dinner and then breakfast at the hotel. Not a good time for anyone.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: ITA
No yellow zones in Italy till end of April. IMHO, local tourism will start reopening beginning of June, not before.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by annaschummi
No yellow zones in Italy till end of April. IMHO, local tourism will start reopening beginning of June, not before.
Sadly same as 2020 and this being optimistic. Including your emphasis on "local". It appears at least the Brits are not allowed from their island before July.
Uncharted terrain also for the real estate market as this is just the first of what might come and may make secondary homes no viable anymore.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by behuman
Sadly same as 2020 and this being optimistic. Including your emphasis on "local". It appears at least the Brits are not allowed from their island before July.
Uncharted terrain also for the real estate market as this is just the first of what might come and may make secondary homes no viable anymore.
Hi,

Being based in the UK , the current regulations state holidays are banned until 17th May. However the new regulations coming into force tomorrow state that going overseas without a good reason will have a fine of GBP 5000. The govt will announce the results of the global task force review on 5th April with possible announcements on the way forward ( ie travel corridors, testing, vaccination docs ( possibly). Etc. However given the current situation I think very tight restrictions will be in place for early summer. I hope that by later summer, with vaccinations making good progress and cases falling travel will be easier ( I had my first jab on Thursday so second one by end June so hoping for an Italian vacation in August ( I could manage some testing but self isolation at home on return would be more troublesome)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: ITA
Moreover, we are now into 50 Shades of Red, with some regions, like Puglia, becoming dark-red.
I agree that it seems more like 2020 pattern: opening in June, but much more cautious than 2020. Hoping they will come up with a common EU travel rules.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:09 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Cases slowly declining in ItLy but seems to be making progress. More areas going to yellow and orange zones next week or so is the expectation.

Italy is rolling out Il Pass, certifying vaccinated, recent negative test or previous covid infection as a way to facilitate travel between zones of equal color status.

it’s modeled after the EU Digital Green Certificate, designed to facilitate travel for EU residents within EU and Schengen.

there seems to be some hope that third country tourist may yet be allowed a some point in the summer but it could also be travel business owners hoping or demanding.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
VCE

I am in for the end of August. By then, the situation shoulld be much better!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:22 am

Thumbs down quarantine for all Italy arrivals

May I remind all fellow FTalkers that Italy still requests an antigenic or PCR test within 48 hours of arrival PLUS 5 days quarantine (isolamento fiduciario whatever this means) and another test on day five even arriving from other EU states.

This measure was taken to deter Italians from traveling during Easter holiday, but unfortunately has been extended till 30 April.

Also the 10 PM curfew is supposed to last till end July (good luck for that), but could be eased already early June.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:37 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Draghi and the tourism minister said book your trips to Italy, will be open from May 15 to tourists, including from the US.

Main thing though is that US still hasn't waived the testing requirements for re-entering the US.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Indeed, Italy will accept travellers from EU with a test or without if vaccinated, and without quarantine from mid-May. They will likely accept some ex-EU travellers as well ut it remains to be confirmed.
And same as you for your remark about the US : France still required (today) a PCR test to come back
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by exp
Draghi and the tourism minister said book your trips to Italy, will be open from May 15 to tourists, including from the US.
Be careful, the decree requesting 5 days mini quarantine for EU arrivals plus a second test (quick or PCR) is valid till 15 May and the infamous Speranza (what a name) will simply not renew it. This means rather plan to arrive on 16 May only.

And I can assure you that the guardia di finanza is more than unpleasant even at land borders with all documents as per the rules shown. Some nostalgia with Salò . Hope this nightmare will stop and free movement within the EU reinstated soon.
Old May 6, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Le Monde (paywall) is reporting that from May 16 Italy will let EU tourists in provided they show a vaccination certificate, a negative antigen test or a doctor certificate stating they have already had Covid. Government would be currently studying whether to extend this to tourists from the US and Israel as well.

We rented a house near the beach in Liguria for a month in August. Judging from the price, and the fact that there was wide availability in the market, it would seem that it's going to be a pretty slow tourism season - hopefully better than last year's, though. For comparison, most rental houses near the beach in France are fully booked for the whole summer.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:38 am

Be careful, the decree requesting 5 days mini quarantine for EU arrivals plus a second test (quick or PCR) is valid till 15 May and the infamous Speranza (what a name) will simply not renew it. This means rather plan to arrive on 16 May only.

And I can assure you that the guardia di finanza is more than unpleasant even at land borders with all documents as per the rules shown. Some nostalgia with Salò . Hope this nightmare will stop and free movement within the EU reinstated soon.
I understand the frustration, but making an equivalence between the GdF doing their jobs (checking documents) and a Nazi collaborationist regime is a bit uncalled for.
KLouis and behuman like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:34 am

not a comparison, just nostalgia of the "Passierschein"

Originally Posted by 13901
I understand the frustration, but making an equivalence between the GdF doing their jobs (checking documents) and a Nazi collaborationist regime is a bit uncalled for.
For some people in uniform on a power trip it is some kind of nostalgia (and NOT a comparison, because gladly mechanisms to protect citizens are in place).
The border between Italy and Switzerland cuts a common cultural and linguistic basin. Where Switzerland took a measured approach for movements within that basin (70000 workers daily), the central government in Rome ignored calls from parliament members to be reasonable. This said, virtually nobody respects the rules even with the intimidating uniformed presence (and the local health care administration is kind and overwhelmed).

The announcement of Draghi with that fake smile was just disgusting after all what the locals in the border area (same Covid incidence) had to endure during the last 6 month. Without the so called "extreme right", which I do not approve in general, they would remain in a total lockdown.

The tourism operators are boiling with rage, as unlike France or Austria, they are not fairly and generously compensated. The dream of free movement within the EU has been dismounted as an illusion.

Especially to our US and UK friends I can assure that they will be more than welcome, there is a huge gap between anything official and bureaucratic and the generosity and professionalism of the people working in tourism.

Last edited by behuman; May 6, 2021 at 10:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.