Plans to go to Italy anyone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plans to go to Italy anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: ITA
Well, nothing seems to get changed till after Easter. No ski tourism, no travels between the regions, no dinner in restaurants, but lunch only in yellow zones.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:00 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
And some regions are going up the color chart, meaning more restrictions.

But apparently bars are open in some places like Milan? Young adults getting their aperitivos and socializing, like last spring when they did the same and got their grandparents sick?
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by exp
But apparently bars are open in some places like Milan? Young adults getting their aperitivos and socializing, like last spring when they did the same and got their grandparents sick?
It’s called life. You cannot keep people in jail forever.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by behuman
This said, if your trip is for leisure, postpone it to after Easter, the chief expert along with the health minister are just pressing now the new president of the council for more stringent measures and I can see a total lockdown coming. As an example, they just decided NOT to open ski areas less than 24 hours before they were due to open - pure craziness and unpredictable.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel as Campania has been moved from yellow to Orange category .
Puglia and Sicily have made the opposite move, but there are so few flights to go there and they are horribly expensive
Any information if Rome/Latium is at risk to leave the yellow category anytime soon ?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:26 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by exp
Gladly it is the last day of opening as whole Lombardy and Piedmont will be orange zone with those nasty bars finally closed tomorrow. Corriere della Sera today wrote that the peak will be around 20 March and the movement between regions is blocked till 27 March for sure.The same Corriere writes today that they aim to administrate 600 000 (!!!!) vaccine doses per day.

This said, international travel is possible (depending on the entry conditions of the destination country) and to enter Italy a fast test is still sufficient and you have to show that you have a "abitazione" equals place to stay. For international arrival this is a little bit unclear.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:51 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Is it possible for a EU citizen living in the US to travel to Italy for leisure on a COVID-free flight (JFK-FCO)? Will the person be admitted to Italy? And, assuming negative COVID tests, would the person be allowed to rent a car and drive from FCO to the destination of his choice?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by txp
Is it possible for a EU citizen living in the US to travel to Italy for leisure on a COVID-free flight (JFK-FCO)? Will the person be admitted to Italy?
You can use this official site to determine the eligibility.
https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html
Then you need to check if the final destination (region) is in red/orange/yellow/white category. Only white and yellow regions are accessible without compelling reasons. Rome (Latium) is currently yellow. Just make a Google search and you will find all the information you need.

Originally Posted by txp
And, assuming negative COVID tests, would the person be allowed to rent a car and drive from FCO to the destination of his choice?
The person will certainly be allowed to rent a car but it is currently forbidden to travel between regions in Italy AFAIK unless he/she has a compelling reason. So if he/she is renting a car in FCO, it will be to stay within Latium region. I have no idea how this is enforced but I am sure some Italian friends on this forum will be able to tell you.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:56 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You can use this official site to determine the eligibility.
Then you need to check if the final destination (region) is in red/orange/yellow/white category. Only white and yellow regions are accessible without compelling reasons. Rome (Latium) is currently yellow. Just make a Google search and you will find all the information you need.

The person will certainly be allowed to rent a car but it is currently forbidden to travel between regions in Italy AFAIK unless he/she has a compelling reason. So if he/she is renting a car in FCO, it will be to stay within Latium region. I have no idea how this is enforced but I am sure some Italian friends on this forum will be able to tell you.

Thank you, you are correct. I did the research and it appears that, at least until the end of March, one could not travel between regions for tourism. Even if one makes it to the final destination somehow, when the final destination is in the orange region (as most are), you really can't do much in the way of tourism because of local restrictions.

It appears that at the moment the island of Sardinia is the only place in Italy where one could go on vacation (assuming, of course, EU citizenship and exemption from quarantine).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by txp
It appears that at the moment the island of Sardinia is the only place in Italy where one could go on vacation (assuming, of course, EU citizenship and exemption from quarantine).
It's the only place in white category, but you can go to the yellow regions. Only important problem to mention for yellow zones is that restaurants are not open for dinner. But wherever you want to go in a white or yellow area, you face another problem which is the lack of flights. If you go to a secondary destination (I mean, not FCO, VCE, MXP/LIN), AZ has very few domestic flights left due to (1) AZ eternal crisis and (2) covid restrictions and so those secondary destinations are hard to reach and when you find a flight that may work, it costs a fortune.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:41 pm

Italy has extended the current limitations to entering the country from the UK (basically no entry unless you're a resident, with limited exceptions) to the Tuesday after Easter, i.e. April 6th.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:22 am

There's some attention given to a Frances Mayes Instagram post saying "If you own a house, you're permitted to enter Italy," but I don't think it's so simple; I think you need to be an established permanent resident.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
There's some attention given to a Frances Mayes Instagram post saying "If you own a house, you're permitted to enter Italy," but I don't think it's so simple; I think you need to be an established permanent resident.
I'm a citizen and I own a home in Italy but as a foreign resident, unless I have an urgent reason for entering the country I can't... at least from the UK. Other countries might be different. I recommend that people who want to go there check the Foreign Office questionnaire:

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:52 pm

My experience is from 4-5 months ago, so I have no idea whether my "trick" still works, but if anybody absolutely needs to travel to Italy it may be worth looking into this. I was visiting my son in Switzerland and we had a "very long" weekend in Ticino (Thu to Mon, based in Locarno, but also spent a day in Lugano). In those 5 days we entered Italy three times by car, of which one was entirely by mistake (did not check the map). Not once did we experience a border check, neither Italian nor Swiss, in any direction, we never saw a "uniform" even saying hello or waving us through. Mind you, even if still possible, if one needs to be in Reggio Calabria or Lecce, this will be a rather tiring and expensive way for getting there, but for Milano or, even, Venice or Bologna... Again, though, my warning, I don't know whether it is still feasible!
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:12 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by KLouis
Again, though, my warning, I don't know whether it is still feasible!
The green border, secondary roads, but you may be checked by the "guardia di finanza" shortly after inside Italy.

The ultimate trick would be to pass the border with a Swiss registered rental car and telling them you are transiting to France - of course with a recent RT-PCR test for France .

Or you need a good reason like going to see the doctor.

This said, I would strongly advise even thinking about going to Italy until well after Easter. There will be a dramatic peak around 20 March.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: ITA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It is very difficult to enforce because there are too many people moving around, the police cannot control each single car. However, police cars are located mostly at highway exists, but there are controls on state routes as well. I have been stopped several times for documents control. In this case police checks if you are entitiled to be where you are. Some policemen just collect autocertification, others do ask questions.

Liguria is still yellow for another week, so we took this chance to go out for lunch and some walk in Riviera del Levante. There are very few cars with foreign plates and very few foreigners. Restaurants are full with locals and smartworkers from Milan. You have to book a table a week in advance. It took us 2,5 hours to get back from Rapallo to Genoa due to heavy traffic,so there are really many many people hanging around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.