Help Planning Itay Trip in Feb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Planning Itay Trip in Feb

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
You can't come to Rome missing the Vatican Basilica and square.
It's not just catholicism, it's history
Hope to be able to offer you a nice drink in the area
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:07 pm

I think you got both me and the OP's trip entirely wrong!

The family of four (including one quasi-toddler and an infant) will be arriving at Termini at around noon from Venice. If their arrival is on a Sunday, forget the Angelus. If on Saturday, they'll have to check-in at their hotel and, at best, they can start visiting the city after lunch, say at around 2-3 pm. If they want to see the Vatican, fine, they should do it then and not the next day as you say. But, honestly, suggesting to this family of four to wait till Sunday noonish to visit it, at the moment when the place is absolutely packed with tens of thousands of tourists and locals and you can't circulate, sorry to say, this is an absolutely insane piece of advice. This is not history, it's masochism!
Rather than giving them hints on what they can see, try to convince them that what they have in mind is absolutely, 100% irrational. Their new proposed schedule, which you call "better" includes three train rides, and visiting two cities that under normal circumstances require several days each. That's the only thing that the OP should realize.
obscure2k and Perche like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by coolmuke
...{snip}...Day5 - Depart 10 PM Flight Milan-AUH-BOM
Are you sure it's 10 PM? The Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi is at 10 am, which means that you'd have to travel back to Milan in the evening before. I can't see any MXP-AUH flight that late. Check again!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
That's better.
Your Frecciarossa train from Milan will lead you to the Santa Lucia Railway station, just in the heart of the old city of Venice.
Excuse me, Santa Lucia train station is on the extreme outskirts of the city, in the most undesirable place to stay in Venice.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:22 am

Good Morning to all.
I couldn't even image to be named as "insane" or "irrational" inside a leisure forum like that, for giving personal advices about an holiday in my country.... But being a very peaceful person, I don't care at all about free of charge insults

To be honest, during the Angelus it is the most convenient time I usually get into St.Peter's, just because anyone is on the square and not queueing for the church

Regarding Santa Lucia, I textually wrote that "Frecciarossa from Milan will lead you at Santa Lucia r.s.", which means that:

1) Any high Speed train from Milano, apart from those going to Trieste and Udine, terminates at Santa Lucia station;

2) this station, if compared to the other venetian stop called "VENEZIA MESTRE", is in the very city center indeed, and you can get to Rialto walking in about 10 minutes, or taking the boat from here to San Marco.
Obviously, from what I wrote, there wasn't any kind of suggestion about STAYING in S.Lucia area (hotel, b&b etc.), just arriving.

BTW, outskirts of Venice are Porto Marghera and Mestre.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Are you sure it's 10 PM? The Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi is at 10 am, which means that you'd have to travel back to Milan in the evening before. I can't see any MXP-AUH flight that late. Check again!
I am flying back from rome not milan.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

If i take out 1 day in travel from milan-venice and venice-rome. I have 4 full days and was hoping to spend 2 days in venice and 2 days in rome. I understand i will not do justice to both cities. I dont travel very often and so i dont know when i will go back to italy. If i go back to Europe, I will probably go to a different country.
So, i am depending on this forum to make the best use of the time that I have and atleast visit the must see sites.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Good Morning to all.
I couldn't even image to be named as "insane" or "irrational" inside a leisure forum like that, for giving personal advices about an holiday in my country.... But being a very peaceful person, I don't care at all about free of charge insults

To be honest, during the Angelus it is the most convenient time I usually get into St.Peter's, just because anyone is on the square and not queueing for the church.

Regarding Santa Lucia, I textually wrote that "Frecciarossa from Milan will lead you at Santa Lucia r.s.", which means that:

1) Any high Speed train from Milano, apart from those going to Trieste and Udine, terminates at Santa Lucia station;

2) this station, if compared to the other venetian stop called "VENEZIA MESTRE", is in the very city center indeed, and you can get to Rialto walking in about 10 minutes, or taking the boat from here to San Marco.
Obviously, from what I wrote, there wasn't any kind of suggestion about STAYING in S.Lucia area (hotel, b&b etc.), just arriving.

BTW, outskirts of Venice are Porto Marghera and Mestre.
I have to say that this information is wrong. Taking two young children to packed St Peter’s square when someone has only 1.5 days in Rome is not sound advice. The children will not want to hear the Pope’s sermon, in Italian, then listen to one bible phrase after another in Latin with a Hail Mary recited between each sentence. Most adults couldn't take it.

In Venice where they also have only 1.5 days Santa Lucia train station is not as you said, “right in the center of the city.” It is at the extreme West end of the city. It is not possible to walk from there to the Rialto Bridge in 10 minutes.

When people refer to Venice they refer to the city of Venice with 118 islands and 400 bridges, not the comune of Venice which which consists of a number of cities on the mainland. Anybody who thinks they are going to Venice who winds up in the polluted cesspool factory town of Marghera will be the most disappointed traveler in the world, even though it’s part of the Comune of Venice.

obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by coolmuke
I am flying back from rome not milan.

This is what you wrote in your previous post:
Day5 - Depart 10 PM Flight Milan-AUH-BOM
Imprecise questions get wrong answers.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:16 pm

@ Flying Houstonian, GoldenItalianBoy

Absolutely no reason to get offended by the replies given, neither the perceived "anti-religious" answer of the Mod, nor by my characterization of the advice given. Starting with the latter, neither insane (the piece of advice) nor irrational are insults but descriptions of what I think about this! The idea that a family of four, freshly "jet-lagged", first time in Rome for 2.5 days (after correcting the airport of departure, previously 1.5 days) should attend the Angelus, is indeed insane. Obviously, I'm not talking about the Cathedral, nor the Pope's blessing, nor the remaining Vatican (which I have personally visited at least 6 times that I can remember), but just the crowds and the walk to and from there on Sunday. Next time you go to the Cathedral do it at, say, 8 am on a weekday, you'll see the difference to your own average Sunday. As for the attribute irrational (read carefully, not addresed to you!) I still think the plan is exactly that, even if I understand what OP's thoughts were (see as much as possible in as little time as possible), I consider this proposed itinerary to also be, to some extent, dangerous for the health.

As for Perche's comments on the attendance of the Angelus, I don't think he intended this to be an argument against any kind of religious feeling, belief, etc. He simply stresses the fact that OP is travelling with very young children, and that the children (American? Indian? Certainly not Italian) at this age will lack the necessary linguistic skills to understand/enjoy what this event is all about (see how careful I am? ).

At any rate, OP has been warned, let's leave this at that and let him and his family enjoy the plans.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
This is the most inane and feckless thing I have read on the forum in some time. It might not work for you and whatever "new age" belief system you enjoy, but millions actually do pack St. Peter's and enjoy it- including with smaller children who also enjoy it and want to be there. In fact, I have been taking young children there for years including just weeks ago and they loved it, as always. The scores of others in my vicinity did as well. Millions travel to Roma each year as both pilgrims and those who want to experience the grandest church in Christendom- not just as a tourist but as a real Christian. Your opinion and beliefs do not make that untrue for others nor your apparent inability to focus children's attention span or your own to said service. Others have a YMMV ability and experience remember that.
I wasn't talking about St. Peter's. I was talking about having to stand through the Pope's sermon, then the Angelus, where they read in Latin the part of the New Testament where Mary conceived without intercourse, sentence by sentence, and how she was the only person ever born without, "Original sin," inherited from Adam and Eve. After each sentence they stop and say another, Hail Mary Prayer, "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee....," and so on. If you think that children standing in the cold for hours to listen to to a sermon delivered in Italian, and then praying in Latin is fun for a 2 year old and a 6 year old, I don't know what to say. And please stop using the word, "feckless." Every 4 to 6 months you pop up on this website in a combative way to describe people as, "feckless." Feckless means a person lacking in motivation, character, and integrity. That's going to need to stop.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 9, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:31 am

Dear coolmuke,

you know here we are not travel agents or professionals, so please read our advices as personal opinions and not technical "flowcharts" of travel.

Anyway, be free to organize your trip in your own, pleasant and safe way (that's the most rewarding way) and show your children the beautiful sights of our country.

So, Welcome to Italy and enjoy your holiday that- we hope - will be the first of many others !

Regards.
Perche likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis

This is what you wrote in your previous post:
Day5 - Depart 10 PM Flight Milan-AUH-BOM
Imprecise questions get wrong answers.
Sorry. My bad. Edited my post.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Which is the recommended area to stay in venice and Rome so that i can start looking for hotels. Any award hotels in the area. I have him hilton points, ihg points and club carson points.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
The hotel depends on budget. I like the ca'sagredo and dinner on their terrace on the grand canal for special occasions. Otherwise the hotels in Venice are good value.

part of the charm of Venice is walking through the the lanes and canals to get to the water bus on the grand canal. It is my favourite city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.