Reload this Page >

Best Pizza in Italy: 2017 Gambero Rosso Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pizza in Italy: 2017 Gambero Rosso Results

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:22 pm

If we're talking the square, medium-thickness style cut from a baking sheet (as I think Rome has a few distinct styles of pizza), there are places you can find it in and around Philadelphia. For the round variety, which I think is really similar to pizza Napoletana, that's possible in the same areas, but a little harder to find. There's also a guy up here in southern Maine that brought it with him from Rome.

I'm sure you can find it in NYC as well, but I have less experience there. But in a city that big, you're bound to find at least one Italian who wanted it "done right" and opened up shop.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by angra
yes - I love that style of pizza as well. My last visit to Rome had me staying around the corner from Bonci Panificcio, and I made extensive use of my proximity.

But I have a particular fondness for the variety of round pizzas that seem to exist almost exclusively in Rome. My previous visit notes refer to montecarlo, Da Remo, Da Baffeto, and Ai Marmi. Is this style really outside the norm/mainstream of Rome? I had the impression that this style was fairly common in Rome, though I do not expect my impressions to be infallible.

While they often go hand-in-hand, I tend to seek out unique and enjoyable over authenticity in my food hunting.
If you found Da Remo in Testaccio, you are definitely a good pizza hunter. It's round pizza, not the squarish stuff cut with a scissors and sold by weight, but very, very Roman. Pizza being round doing make it Napolitano. There are other aspects. But if you found Da Remo, you know what you are doing. The only problem is getting into the place.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Perche
Although there are exceptions, if you want to make sure you are getting Roman pizza it is going to be a square pizza cut with scissors, weighed on a scale, and sold by weight, like this.
Probably obvious for an Italian but good advice for a tourist ^

yes - I love that style of pizza as well. My last visit to Rome had me staying around the corner from Bonci Panificcio, and I made extensive use of my proximity.

But I have a particular fondness for the variety of round pizzas that seem to exist almost exclusively in Rome. My previous visit notes refer to montecarlo, Da Remo, Da Baffeto, and Ai Marmi. Is this style really outside the norm/mainstream of Rome? I had the impression that this style was fairly common in Rome, though I do not expect my impressions to be infallible.

While they often go hand-in-hand, I tend to seek out unique and enjoyable over authenticity in my food hunting.
I can affirm you just enjoyed some of the best Pizzerie in Rome
Anyway, outside of very very very tourist circuit, you'll almost always find very good pizza Rome, everywhere. So yes, that style is really common in Rome.
In Via Flaminia (at the start, very close to Piazza del Popolo) you can try il Buchetto or a very very famous Pizzeria froma Naples da Michele
(in my opinion the best in one in Naples) that recently opened also here in Rome but I sadly the level is far away from the originale one
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Perche
If you found Da Remo in Testaccio, you are definitely a good pizza hunter. It's round pizza, not the squarish stuff cut with a scissors and sold by weight, but very, very Roman. Pizza being round doing make it Napolitano. There are other aspects. But if you found Da Remo, you know what you are doing. The only problem is getting into the place.
Da Remo was the unanimous (of my group of 4) favorite in that group.

Especially when traveling solo (as I am on my upcoming trip), I usually like to eat dinner much earlier in the day than most Italians, and I tend to eat fairly quickly. So, I can often sneak in before crowds get huge at the type of places I like to go.

As far as knowing what I am doing, mots of it comes down to finding food writers with tastes and preferences I understand and respect, asking questions, and following advice .
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Sciamano
In Via Flaminia (at the start, very close to Piazza del Popolo) you can try il Buchetto or a very very famous Pizzeria froma Naples da Michele
(in my opinion the best in one in Naples) that recently opened also here in Rome but I sadly the level is far away from the originale one
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely give Il Buchetto a try.

Da Michele (pre-movie) is actually what changed me from someone who likes pizza into someone willing to go out of my way to experience well-made pizza. I remember thinking to myself "Is this place really that great? I have only two very simple choices" to "oh, I get it now" in a manner of moments when the pizzas arrived. I went back there in 2014, and the post-movie experience is kind of miserable. I might try the Roma Da Michele if I get bored, run out of other choices, or am in the area at the right time, but I do not have high hopes for it.

Calling back to the original post: if I wish to purchase a copy of the guide mentioned, do you have any suggestions for an easy place to obtain it for a tourist? I'll be arriving FCO, staying somewhere (TBD) in the historical center, and will be relying on public transportation.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:03 am

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely give Il Buchetto a try.

Da Michele (pre-movie) is actually what changed me from someone who likes pizza into someone willing to go out of my way to experience well-made pizza. I remember thinking to myself "Is this place really that great? I have only two very simple choices" to "oh, I get it now" in a manner of moments when the pizzas arrived. I went back there in 2014, and the post-movie experience is kind of miserable. I might try the Roma Da Michele if I get bored, run out of other choices, or am in the area at the right time, but I do not have high hopes for it.

Calling back to the original post: if I wish to purchase a copy of the guide mentioned, do you have any suggestions for an easy place to obtain it for a tourist? I'll be arriving FCO, staying somewhere (TBD) in the historical center, and will be relying on public transportation.
I forgot to mention the first choice the guide suggests! La Gatta Mangiona offers great Pizza and great fritti but it's not in a touristic area
You can obviously buy the guide online (e.g. Amazon) or you can easily find it at la Feltrinelli (several shops in town) http://www.lafeltrinelli.it/libri/pi.../9788866411406
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Sciamano
I forgot to mention the first choice the guide suggests! La Gatta Mangiona offers great Pizza and great fritti but it's not in a touristic area
You can obviously buy the guide online (e.g. Amazon) or you can easily find it at la Feltrinelli (several shops in town) http://www.lafeltrinelli.it/libri/pi.../9788866411406
I can not find the guide on any US based online stores, so I will just visit a Feltrinelli when I arrive.

I currently have a hotel booked near Campo di Fiori, and it appears I can easily walk to a Feltrinelli from there.

I will try Mangiona! It looks like I can take a streetcar (#8) to fairly close. I don't mind walking up to about 2km for a tasty meal, but buses give me motion sickness.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:26 am

I can not find the guide on any US based online stores, so I will just visit a Feltrinelli when I arrive.
I can't find it in the US either, but you can get it shipped from the UK. The trick is you need to get the ISBN and search by that. Here are some options.

The book won't be in English, of course.

I just ordered it for $11 shipped. You could probably save a little bit ordering from Italy, but my experience is that shipping from the UK is a bit more predictable.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize you were already in Italy. Yeah, walking to Feltrinelli is the way to go. Another option that we do is to order from Amazon for pickup at a designated location. Amazon will ship to Italian post offices to hold for pickup - just don't forget to bring a passport or they won't let you pick it up!

Last edited by PWMTrav; Oct 13, 2017 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:26 am

I currently have a hotel booked near Campo di Fiori, and it appears I can easily walk to a Feltrinelli from there.

I will try Mangiona! It looks like I can take a streetcar (#8 ) to fairly close. I don't mind walking up to about 2km for a tasty meal, but buses give me motion sickness.
From Campo de' Fiori it's only a few minutes walk to la Feltrinelli in L.go di Torre Argentina!
Btw, as you perfectly said, with the tram #8 reaching la Gatta Mangiona will be very easy and fast (totally you won't walk 2km....maybe 500mt )
Not far from there you can try Pane e Temepsta I previously suggested in this thread but it's "pizza al taglio"
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
There is another list with information on how to find good pizza in Italy. They actually have cook offs, one pizzeria against another, over a prolonged period time, with judges being pizza chefs, experts, and food critics. It's different from Gambero Rosso. When they narrow it down to 32 pizzerie, finalists went to Naples for the last step of the competition.

It was broken down into two groups; Campania, essentially meaning Naples and the surrounding area, because other pizza is not in the same league as Napolitano pizza. The second group was the rest of Italy

Shown here: https://www.dissapore.com/notizie/fi...apore-in-foto/

Winners for Campania (Naples Region)
CAMPANIA
— Pizzeria Elite Rossi – Alvignano (CE)
— Sorbillo ai Tribunali – Napoli
— Ciro Oliva Concettina ai Tre Santi – Napoli
— O’ Pizzaiuolo Guglielmo Vuolo – Napoli
— Pizzeria Carmnella – Napoli
— Antica Pizzeria da Michele – Napoli
— Pizzeria Gaetano Genovesi – Napoli
— Pizzeria Salvo – San Giorgio a Cremano (NA)
— Starita a Materdei – Napoli
— 50 Kalς – Napoli
— Pizzaria La Notizia 53 – Napoli
— Casa Vitiello – Tuoro (CE)
— Pepe in Grani – Caiazzo (CE)
— 10 Diego Vitagliano – Pozzuoli (NA)
— Pizzeria da Lioniello – Orta di Atella (CE)
— I Masanielli – Caserta

Winners for the rest of Italy
RESTO D’ITALIA
— Pizzeria P – Lissone (MB)
— La Kambusa – Massarosa (LU)
— La Taverna Gourmet – Milano
— Casamatta – Noto (SR)
— Pizzeria Santarpia – Firenze
— Saporθ – San Martino Buon Albergo (VR)
— Palazzo Pretorio – San Donato (FI)
— I Tigli – San Bonifacio (VR)
— Pizzeria Spirito Divino – Montefalco (PG)
— Lievitΰ – Milano
— Pro Loco Pinciano – Roma
— Mezzometro – Senigallia (AN)
— In Fucina – Roma
— F.lli Roselli – Torino
— Tonda – Roma
— Cammafΰ – Torino
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:24 pm

Thanks to PWMTrav for the link. I had forgotten that buying from the UK is usually not too bad. This trip will not be until early December. I was going to hold off and just buy it in Rome, so I wouldn't have to carry it with me, but I gave in to the temptation of extra time to review the book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.