Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Interline Connection at FCO/NAP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Non-Interline Connection at FCO/NAP

I'm flying American 240 DFW/FCO on July 10, arriving FCO at 0715 on July 11. I'm flying on an AAdvantage miles redemption, with my final destination NAP. I can fly FCO/NAP at 0945 on Alitalia 1267, which probably means I need to check in by 0845. I'll buy the Alitalia ticket because it's not OneWorld, and won't be able to interline, because my AA ticket is a redemption, and Alitalia is a revenue ticket. Thoughts on likelihood of making the Alitalia flight, assuming the AA flight is on time? I'll need to deplane, get through customs and immigration, fetch a bag, recheck with Alitalia, go back through security and get to the NAP arrival gate. There's a 1430 Alitalia flight FCO/NAP. I'm on a US passport. Whew!!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:13 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by Larry Ginsburg
I'm flying American 240 DFW/FCO on July 10, arriving FCO at 0715 on July 11. I'm flying on an AAdvantage miles redemption, with my final destination NAP. I can fly FCO/NAP at 0945 on Alitalia 1267, which probably means I need to check in by 0845. I'll buy the Alitalia ticket because it's not OneWorld, and won't be able to interline, because my AA ticket is a redemption, and Alitalia is a revenue ticket. Thoughts on likelihood of making the Alitalia flight, assuming the AA flight is on time? I'll need to deplane, get through customs and immigration, fetch a bag, recheck with Alitalia, go back through security and get to the NAP arrival gate. There's a 1430 Alitalia flight FCO/NAP. I'm on a US passport. Whew!!
Without an EU passport (your case), you won't be able to use the e-gates at FCO, so you will be processed manually to clear immigration. This can take quite some time (some mornings the queue can be worth several hundreds of people). If I did not have an EU passport I would not risk such a short connection at FCO even with hand baggage only.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:13 am

Welcome to FT, Larry ^

Assuming an on-time arrival from DFW, 1 hour to get past passports (very likely, especially in peak season) and that, by that time, your bag would be already on the belt, you would still have nearly 1 hour to re-check (being NAP a domestic flight, check-in closes 40 minutes before scheduled departure) and go through security again, which shouldn't take long (T1 is normally fairly efficient). So, indeed, you could make it.

G
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Welcome to Flyer Talk and the Italy Forum Larry Ginsburg.

You have two and a half hours. Sometimes the lines are long, sometimes the lines are short. No one can give you any guarantees. Usually, that's enough time to take a quick shower between flights if you have lounge access. Make sure you can use your phone when you land so you can use the Alitalia app and check in online, if necessary.

If due to flight delays it seems clear that you will miss the 9:45, instead of waiting for the 14:30 flight, think about your train options. A train from FCO to downtown Naples is only 2 hours, including the train change at Rome Termini.

"I'm on a US passport. Whew!!" No "Whew's" in Italy, this is not a crisis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.