Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast - We're here for 5 days, help with Itinerary Please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast - We're here for 5 days, help with Itinerary Please

Hi Flyertalk,

We're spending 5 days of our honeymoon (Aug 2017) in Positano and i'm trying to get an itinerary together, but it's proving challenging.

I was hoping some of you could help us out...

1) What is the best way to get from Naples to Positano?
2) How should we break up our 5 days on the Amalfi Coast?
3) Should I drive, bus, or private car? It's high season, so driving and finding parking I heard is a nightmare...

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yvrchris
Hi Flyertalk,

We're spending 5 days of our honeymoon (Aug 2017) in Positano and i'm trying to get an itinerary together, but it's proving challenging.

I was hoping some of you could help us out...

1) What is the best way to get from Naples to Positano?
2) How should we break up our 5 days on the Amalfi Coast?
3) Should I drive, bus, or private car? It's high season, so driving and finding parking I heard is a nightmare...

Thanks!
What days in August. Because of Ferragosto, it is important.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
What days in August. Because of Ferragosto, it is important.
Aug 13-18...

I just looked it up. Ferragosto is Aug 15...

Yikes. What does that mean?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:04 am

For a romantic honeymoon in August you might want to a stay at a different place on the Amalfi Coast. At the least, make sure that you stay at a hotel with a private beach if in Positano. Most europeans are on vacation in August. The majority of Italians are off from August 15-31, and can be found on the beach. The beaches are packed like no place you've ever seen. There are long lines, crowds, etc.

The following pictures are not Positano, but they do show what italian beaches look like in August
https://www.google.it/search?q=spiag...5UEf8luzuZDcJn

Positano is more organized on the private beaches. They have fixed umbrellas in the with beach loungers that you rent for the day. They are centimeters away from each other, and this is the beach on Positano.

http://positanomylife.blogspot.it/20...a-dagosto.html

Below are pictures of the main beach in Positano not in Ferragosto, but in August. Notice, the beach loungers are mere inches from one another, and if you are not in the front row, you can't even see the water. The restaurants are just as crowded.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Perche; Jan 14, 2017 at 3:28 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:40 am

Just make sure you get a hotel, and work with them on what you want at the beach. Pre-arrange your trips to Capri, or other islands, and reserve your spot on the beach. There are two smaller beaches in Positano. One, you have to walk down the stairs on a steep cliff, and that keeps the crowds down. The other, you actually have to take a small boat to. If the crowds get to you, these two are alternatives.

As for how to get there, you have three options, only one makes sense. The usual way is to take the Circumvesuviano train, then the local bus. This is scenic and only costs a few euros, but is not to be done in August. The trains are not air conditioned, and are packed. you will suffer. The second is to drive yourself down. There really is steep traffic, and you won't be able to enjoy the scenery of those roads. Some hotels have parking, others do not. It's not a good idea in August. I suggest you hire a private car.

In summary, it's going to be packed on your days. Restaurants will need reservations. Crowds, crowds, crowds. If you do stay there, although it would be a hike up and down to the beach, staying high up on the hill in a view room will give you a great view of the August 15th fireworks, because from the beach the crowds are like New Years Even on Times Square.

Not that I would necessarily recommend this, but just down the road from Positano are nice little hideaway hotels that are considered romantic, isolated, peaceful and uncrowded. They get you a car to the beach if that's where you want to go.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Plat, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
In addition to Capri, Naples and Pompei are very close to the Almafi coast and would be good options for day trip. It is best to get a guide with a car to go to these 2 places, driving is extremely taxing at least for me has a good chance of getting stressed.

As for Almafi coast, Ravello is also an interesting city to visit. In Positano, I would highly recommend a dinner at the Le Sirenuse hotel restaurant. Very romantic, you can go to their website, they have pictures.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Ravello is a must. Find a good spot there at a restaurant (several hotels have these with amazing views) for an excellent meal.

Capri - if this is the only visit you will ever make to the Amalfi coast, go to Capri. But its loud, toursity and not the place I would otherwise go on a honeymoon.

Sorrento - dont miss the restaurant called Soul and Fish (reservations are a MUST.)

Positano: we went to this restaurant twice and loved it.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Campania.html

Pompei - car is needed. I was impressed but thankful I did it only because it was en route. A good national geographic video would be a welcome option instead of trekking to go see this in the hot weather of August. Be prepared for long entrance lines...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
...Pompei - car is needed...
Why? The circumvesuviana has a stop (Pompei Scavi) right in front of the entrance.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
Why? The circumvesuviana has a stop (Pompei Scavi) right in front of the entrance.
To augment this, from Positano (but up on the main road) you can catch the SITA bus to Sorrento station and from there you can catch the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. Or if you time it right, you can catch the Campania Express, a new service mainly for tourists with new air- conditioned cars and limited stops (Sorrento, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples).
Alternatively, you can catch a passenger ferry to Sorrento at the dock down by Positano beaches. Tickets can be bought set the little kiosk there. From the ferry port in Sorrento, the little red buses that will take you up the cliff to the center of town, five minutes from the station where you can catch the train to Pompeii.
Returning, you can use either mode. But ask at your hotel for the schedules. And in August, you should probably buy as many of the tickets in advance that you can. Again, your hotel should be able to give you assistance or at least guidance. And be at the bus stop or ferry dock early. Everything will be full.
Using public transport may cost you around 40€ for two. Have some cash.
For a lot more money, you can hire a private car and driver to take you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.