Wiki Posts
Search

Venice on a rainy day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Venice on a rainy day

It seems that it's going to rain a lot in Venice on my upcoming visit which rather spoils my plans (I had no plans, I was just going to walk around....).
I don't mind a few showers but I don't like to walk around in all-day rain.

So does anyone here have any suggestions for what to do when it rains heavily in Venice?

To make it a little more complex, I don't enjoy churches and museums (unless it's about transport - trains, planes, trams, boats...).
And I wasn't planning on spending a long time in restaurants - I wanted to do cicchetti mainly.

On the plus side I do like sailing so I suppose I could sail about a bit on the public transport.
And I'm staying in a (in my opinion) nice hotel so I can linger about there a bit for breakfast and early evening lounge.

Is there fx. a nice place, restaurant or bar, with a good view of one of the big canals where I can spend some time watching the boat traffic?
Or.....?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by helosc
It seems that it's going to rain a lot in Venice on my upcoming visit which rather spoils my plans (I had no plans, I was just going to walk around....).
I don't mind a few showers but I don't like to walk around in all-day rain.

So does anyone here have any suggestions for what to do when it rains heavily in Venice?

To make it a little more complex, I don't enjoy churches and museums (unless it's about transport - trains, planes, trams, boats...).
And I wasn't planning on spending a long time in restaurants - I wanted to do cicchetti mainly.

On the plus side I do like sailing so I suppose I could sail about a bit on the public transport.
And I'm staying in a (in my opinion) nice hotel so I can linger about there a bit for breakfast and early evening lounge.

Is there fx. a nice place, restaurant or bar, with a good view of one of the big canals where I can spend some time watching the boat traffic?
Or.....?
When are you going?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
When are you going?
Next week.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:53 am

Next week.
Other than next Sunday when there will be a few hours of light rain, the weather looks great next week. There may be some light sprinkling for an hour or two here and there, but that's nothing.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

I have been monitoring the weather for the last couple of days and as late as this morning fairly heavy rain was predicted for tuesday and wednesday.
After reading your post I checked again and the rain is gone.....
I'm not there on the weekend so as long as that rain front doesn't come in later than predicted I should be fine.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

get a big umbrella and boots, and walk around. the rain will clear out the riff-raff.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
get a big umbrella and boots, and walk around. the rain will clear out the riff-raff.
Well yes, but I really, really don't like rain expecially when it is also cold.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:16 am

Do the same things you would on a clear day. Just wear boots and a rain shell, and carry an umbrella just in case. Everything will be less crowded.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Do the same things you would on a clear day. Just wear boots and a rain shell, and carry an umbrella just in case. Everything will be less crowded.
Ok, ok, I won't be a coward then.
I'll brave the weather.....
But even with good weather, Venice shouldn't be too crowded now - lack of crowds (and hotel prices) was at least partly the determining factor for choosing November.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:27 am

Ok, ok, I won't be a coward then.
I'll brave the weather.....
But even with good weather, Venice shouldn't be too crowded now - lack of crowds (and hotel prices) was partly the determining factor for choosing November.
November's a great time to visit Italy. Crowds are low across the entire country, and especially so in those places where November tends to be rainy (offhand, I think Nov is Florence's rainiest month).

I'm used to just dealing with the conditions because bad weather is common in Maine (and most of northern new england). On a normal day most folks bring an extra layer just in case.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
November's a great time to visit Italy. Crowds are low across the entire country, and especially so in those places where November tends to be rainy (offhand, I think Nov is Florence's rainiest month).

I'm used to just dealing with the conditions because bad weather is common in Maine (and most of northern new england). On a normal day most folks bring an extra layer just in case.
I'm also used to dealing with rain, wind, and cold here in Denmark but I much prefer better weather when I'm elsewhere - but then of course I should go a little further away in the winter months (I'm going to Hong Kong the week after Venice so I can't complain....).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:59 am

I just hope you are not going next Monday. The airport workers just called for an 8 hour strike from 10 to 1800.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
I just hope you are not going next Monday. The airport workers just called for an 8 hour strike from 10 to 1800.
I am going next Monday actually but I'm arriving by train from Milano so all is well.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

All is well here in Venice - blue sky, sun shining.
Fantastic view from my room.
And I was just told that it is snowing at home so life is good at the moment.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:09 pm

All is well here in Venice - blue sky, sun shining.
Fantastic view from my room.
And I was just told that it is snowing at home so life is good at the moment.
Vacation feels extra good when it's snowing back home. It's probably why I burn up half of my annual vacation time in January and February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.