Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boybi
Thanks again. Now that I'm settled with the dates and means of transpo between cities, I would like to ask for hotel and location suggestions.

1st, for Rome.

I am thinking of staying near the Spanish Steps as I think it's walkable to some attractions and near a Metro Station. Also near shopping area for the wife. I have read from some threads that some of the hotels don't have elevators. And I will definitely need an elevator to bring our suitcases up the floors. How will I know if the hotel will have an elevator?
First consider the area you want to stay. Lots of hotels, some excellent, all over Rome. Some areas are just better than others. Most everyone will counsel avoiding the Termini area. And some may just be more comfortable for you. For example, I happen to like Trastevere. It's vibrant and fun. But it's also graffiti bombed. You can't really blame Romans for graffiti (well, I won't). I think they invented it, certainly they named it. But I know people who won't stay in areas that are as grafitti-ed as Trastavere, regardless of the property.

There is a justifiably famous evening walk ("passeggiata") in Rome that starts say Piazza Navona, passes the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, and goes along Via di Propoganda to the Spanish Steps. Returns west along Via del Condotti.
This defines imo the best area of Rome to stay in. The Metro has a stop at Spanish Steps, but the Metro is really limited. The sites a first time visitor wants to see are all walkable from this area. As I described, many are simply minutes away. In fact, the entire walk from Navona to the Steps can be done in a half hour of leisurely strolling (no stops). From Navona to the Forum/Coliseum also takes about half an hour by foot. The Vatican about twenty minutes stroll.
And it's not like you're walking on the shoulder of some fast food/convenience store/trailer park festooned highway. This is Rome. You want to walk around Rome (actually you want to walk everywhere in Italy - it's amazing what you'll come across that way).
So I'd start by considering properties in this area. Once you've settled on three or four good candidates, you can solicit previous experiences to help make your ultimate choice.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
I am thinking of staying near the Spanish Steps, as it's near to some sites and also shopping. And also near a Metro stop.

And if possible, I would prefer a large hotel room. Is Piazza di Spagna hotel a good place to stay?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:18 pm

I am thinking of staying near the Spanish Steps, as it's near to some sites and also shopping. And also near a Metro stop.

And if possible, I would prefer a large hotel room. Is Piazza di Spagna hotel a good place to stay?
Their website says rooms range from 12-20 square meters. That's a max of 215 sq ft. That's tiny by my standards.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Their website says rooms range from 12-20 square meters. That's a max of 215 sq ft. That's tiny by my standards.
I checked Hotels.com and the site says the smallest room is 269-sq-foot (25-sq-meter). I guess these hotel booking sites aren't that reliable.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rickg523
The first time I visited Venice, there was no FT or anything like that. I didn't have the benefit of the collective knowledge that we can now access while planning and traveling. I had a guidebook.
So I believed that the best place to stay was as close as I could afford to the Danielli. Then I chose as I described. The hotel was just down a small calle across from S. Zaccaria C/D and then along a canal (this hotel had a dock, but I wasn't paying for a taxi that trip...well I've never used a taxi in Venice on 6 visits). The other hotels I was "guided" to were in the Rialto Bridge area. Even though it wasn't as crowded as it is now, I was extremely happy I chose the place I did. This I repeat was my first visit. (Three days - just enough to fall in love with the city.)
On that first visit, I walked all over the city and it's pretty obvious that staying away from the San Marco/Rialto area is relatively easy and certainly preferable. I never stayed near them again. I have posted my agreement with you about this on a number of threads.
I'm not certain why you thought my description of the streets as alleys was perjorative. They are in fact my favorite part of Venice. Walking, even wandering, the streets of Venice late at night is incomparable. But to any first time visitor...c'mon, a lot of them are the width of alleys. It's an observation, not a judgment.
Remember, I was addressing a first time visitor with a lot of luggage. I only mentioned my first experience in reference to trying to negotiate Venice with luggage, even one roller, if you've never been before. I haven't any idea where the OP is staying, but no matter where, he needs to consider getting there in Venice.
I'm not sure a kayak would work for him. (A joke - I know you weren't suggesting it)
/post heavily edited due to incomplete initial posting/
I agree. Exploring the alleys is the best. This weekend the waterfront in front of the Danieli was full of guides with a tall stick saying, "Holland Line," or something like that and many people following them to trinket shops, or from Asia, carrying umbrellas, and many people following the guide.

On TV they caught on video camera a guide from Asia taking a tour group to go on gondola rides. The guide was speaking to the gondola driver telling him, "Let's charge them 20 euros more than, and we'll split the difference." This was the actual guy taking them on the tour from China. The tour guide! The gondola driver was arguing with him, telling him that it is illegal, and he will only charge the mandated price.

And the streets along the waterfront and between San Marco and Rialto were packed, and beyond bearable. Most people will go there and say I didn't like Venice.

About a quarter mile away, I was having coffee in true Venice, and it was quite empty. Just children playing. This is where people should go, not to San Marco. It is wonderful. I stumbled into a great chicchetti place, and also a great restaurant I'd never been to before, even though it was close to where I lived (Oliva Nera).
Attached Images   
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

any thoughts on Hotel d’Inghilterra Roma?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Is there a passport check when entering the Vatican City? Do I need a ticket to enter Vatican? Or is it only needed when entering the museum?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:25 am

No passport check for Vatican City. Or San Marino either. You need a ticket to enter the museums.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

How's the subway (Metro) of Rome? How does it compare to subways of London, NY or HK?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
How's the subway (Metro) of Rome? How does it compare to subways of London, NY or HK?
How does it compare? Rather laughably. It's got three lines that basically criss-cross at the Termini station. It's more useful for commuting between the city and some of the suburbs or for linking to outlying train stations or bus lines than for transport within the city center. It does have stations near a few of the tourist destinations, like the Vatican, Spanish Steps, and Colosseum, but the real central transport network is the extensive bus and tram system, not the Metro. You can easily Google and see the maps.

For one comparison, the Rome Metro has less than 40 miles of track in total, while the NYC subway and London Underground each have something like 250 miles. And subway construction in Rome goes at a glacial pace, not least because of the need to deal with the huge number of archaeological remains under the city.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
How does it compare? Rather laughably. It's got three lines that basically criss-cross at the Termini station. It's more useful for commuting between the city and some of the suburbs or for linking to outlying train stations or bus lines than for transport within the city center. It does have stations near a few of the tourist destinations, like the Vatican, Spanish Steps, and Colosseum, but the real central transport network is the extensive bus and tram system, not the Metro. You can easily Google and see the maps.

For one comparison, the Rome Metro has less than 40 miles of track in total, while the NYC subway and London Underground each have something like 250 miles. And subway construction in Rome goes at a glacial pace, not least because of the need to deal with the huge number of archaeological remains under the city.
So I will need to choose a hotel that is central/walkable to most sites. And the hotel does not need to be near a Metro since I won't be riding it generally, unlike in other cities, where I tend to book hotels near subway stations. Am I right?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:10 am

So I will need to choose a hotel that is central/walkable to most sites. And the hotel does not need to be near a Metro since I won't be riding it generally, unlike in other cities, where I tend to book hotels near subway stations. Am I right?
Exactly. The Metro is not much help. The buses are confusing. Walking and taxi is best until you get some experience with Rome.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Which sites in Rome should I purchase tickets in advance?

I'm not a fan of guided tours. I just want to enter sites and appreciate it by myself. So I will only need entrance tickets to sites. Any suggestions for online ticket purchasing?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Before I forget, I've heard from friends who've been to Italy that it's hard to find public toilets and restaurants don't let you use theirs if you are not a diner. Is this really true?

Also, does restaurants give complimentary drinking water in Italy?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:49 pm

Before I forget, I've heard from friends who've been to Italy that it's hard to find public toilets and restaurants don't let you use theirs if you are not a diner. Is this really true?

Also, does restaurants give complimentary drinking water in Italy?
Travel is a way to open up your mind to other cultures. There may be some things you like, and others that you don't. I like the two hour lunches, for example, and not the 20 minute eat a sandwich at your desk experience in the USA.

There are restaurants all throughout Italy with signs saying that after you've wiped, don't throw your toilet paper in the toilet. Throw it in the basket beside you. That's culturally completely different from the USA. The pipes in Rome go back to the year 300 AD. Venice is a collection of 104 islands, each with its own way of dealing with sewerage, which is usually just dumped into the canal when you flush the toilet.

On the other hand, many Italians, especially those from Naples, consider people in the USA to be filthy. That's because after defecation we use paper that just spreads the feces around. In Italy they use a bidet and soap and water, and clean themselves after defecation and urination. A napolitano is astounded to come to America to find out that we walk around with feces spread around our buttocks.

Yes, buy the water when you go into a restaurant. The water in Italy is safe, as in clean, but since it's been flowing through those same pipes for over a thousand years, it's full of pipe sludge, and is distasteful. Always buy the water. No one wants to drink that water that is clean, but that tastes so bad it can ruin your meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.