Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

First time trip to Italy, Itinerary help greatly appreciated!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

So, somewhat last minute trip to Italy planned with only flights booked so far. Wife and I are flying into MXP (from NYC), arriving Friday Morning October 14. Tentative plan is as follows:

After arriving, heading to Castel Boglione for 2 nights (this is the only scheduled portion of the trip, visiting a winery for work and staying on the property in a guest house).

Tentative plan is to then travel to Tuscany (10/16) for 4 nights and then on to Venice (10/20) for 4 nights, heading home from VCE on the 24th.

Great local food is a priority, and while we do want to take as much in as we can, we're not looking to cram everything in on one trip. The goal is to enjoy ourselves and relax without worrying about checking things off our to do list/worry about getting to the next destination. Plan is to rent a car from Milan and return it on our way to or in Venice.

Usually a planner, but a lot going on and not much time to plan this one out. Any and all suggestions on restaurants, sights and/or places to stay would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Great idea to not try to cram in a lot of different places and checking off a to do list. There is already a lot of information in this forum to answer your questions, but it seems as if you don't have a lot of time to plan this out, and are asking people on this forum to do it for you, even though most of us have a lot going on and not much time.

There are great restaurant lists for Venice recently posted here, for example. And Venice is not a place where you can just show up and expect to get a decent hotel, or even a seat in a decent restaurant. Even in October. You need reservations.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Spend the last night of the trip at an airport hotel...

Heading out 10.24

Have a safe trip.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:33 am

As Perche said, Venice has had a ton of recent discussion, you'll find those threads here.

Tuscany is a large region - kind of like saying you're going to Vermont. Try and narrow that first to whether you want to be in a city or in a smaller town. If you've never been there before, I would recommend Florence before venturing out into the countryside, and 4 days is just about perfect to get a feel for the city. I do like Florence quite a bit, though, before the other regulars accuse me of anything here

A month out isn't too last minute, but you will want to start making your restaurant reservations soon.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Just a heads up on Florence. You mentioned you will have a car. Driving in Florence is a challenge. Parking in Florence is an expensive challenge. Keep in mind your car may not be useful while there. You may want to consider dumping it in Florence and training to Venice. (Haven't done that though, so there may be logistical challenges).
Florence is amazing and you can easily spend 4 days there.

An alternative suggestion. Though it is a bit further afield, Siena is a wonderful town to hang out. Parking, outside the city walls is less expensive and you can explore the Tuscan countryside.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback, and I certainly appreciate that everyone's time is valuable.

Just want to clarify, I did read through a lot of the posts (thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post in the past too, this forum is a wealth of information), and was in no way looking for a planned itinerary, but more so some pointers on where to stay, town wise (staying in Florence proper versus a surrounding town and traveling in/around the area, same with Venice).
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:28 pm

Florence and Siena are both nice places to visit. Agree that if you have a car, return it on your way to Florence. The ZTL is challenging, but even more, cars are not necessary at all in the historic center of Florence. The average person could probably walk end to end on the touristy areas - Porta Romana in the south to Piazza Della Liberta in the north - in 40 minutes or so. And most folks won't even venture that far north or south.

Best bet is to return the rental car on arrival, and rent another one if you need it to continue on. However, if you are going to Florence and then to Venice, you are 1000% better off returning the car on the outskirts of Florence and not getting another one the rest of the trip. Venice has no cars on the island, and taking the high speed train from Florence will actually get you further in than a car can, since the train station (Venezia Santa Lucia) is on the island). From there, take a water taxi or the Alilaguna ferry back to VCE airport.

It's more of a joke than anything, but you could actually walk from the historic center to the airport in under 2 hours if you really wanted to. Probably 90 minutes at a fast-ish pace. The sidewalk situation on the route is kind of dicey and is probably the only reason I haven't attempted it. I once sat in construction traffic so bad on the way that I was tempted to get out and walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.