Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:37 pm

If you have OLCI'd through to JFK you'll walk airside from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 right into immigration; after that, you know everything. If you can't OLCI through you'll go out and proceed to the "regular" CI counter of your airline and, again, you know what to expect having done that numerous times. If your incoming flight is on time, you'll have plenty of time for your transfer.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I have a 6-hour layover at FCO in a couple of weeks (1000-1600), connecting from the US to a Schengen flight (US passport). I'd like to head over to the Porto di Traiano and Episcopio di Porto – has anyone visited them? I have read there is a free shuttle twice an hour to/from the Porto di Traiano, and the Episcopio di Porto looks like it's a 10-minute walk from there.

From previous responses on this thread, it looks like getting from the plane to the bus stop would take an hour or so (or maybe less?) and then I should arrive back at the airport 2 hours before my onward flight (B gates). Does that sound right, time-wise?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFF
With respect to the train that runs from FCO to Roma Termini, does one need to prebook this or do you just purchase a ticket after you clear security/passport control etc? If prebook is the answer, how much time should one allow when landing at 1530? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:42 pm

No, the Leonardo Express doesn't take reservations or have assigned seats. You can see in the wiki at the top of this thread and another linked transportation thread that there are other options for getting into Rome; mostly I'd only consider the Leonardo Express if going to the immediate Termini area.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by rove312
No, the Leonardo Express doesn't take reservations or have assigned seats. You can see in the wiki at the top of this thread and another linked transportation thread that there are other options for getting into Rome; mostly I'd only consider the Leonardo Express if going to the immediate Termini area.
Thanks. Whilst we haven't chosen our hotel we think it will be in that area as we have a 0815 departure a few days later. We're thinking the 0520 train back out will be the way to go (ugghhhhh).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 11sjw
Thanks. Whilst we haven't chosen our hotel we think it will be in that area as we have a 0815 departure a few days later. We're thinking the 0520 train back out will be the way to go (ugghhhhh).
The 5:20 AM Leonardo is rough, then to follow that with a long flight is tough. They worst thing is it's making you choose to stay near the Termini area, the ugliest, least safe, most difficult to walk to most things of interest, of any place you could stay. People who stay in that neighborhood often come back saying they didn't like Rome.

You haven't mention how many are in your party. The Leonardo Express is 14 euros per person. A party of 4 would pay 56 euros. A taxi has a fixed price of 48 euros for up to four people, and there is no tipping of taxis (or anyone else in Italy, I just usually give them a 50 and tell them to keep the 2 euro change, and they are very happy at th So one thing depends on how many are in your party. You can have your hotel reserve a car for you the night before, and stay in a nice city in the historic center, and enjoy a last night dinner. You don't want to be walking to a hotel near Termini at night. Remember the restaurants don't open until 8, so you'll need to take a taxi to the hotel each evening, unless you the type with the confidence that allows you walk any neighbor in a way that muggers and thieves who congregate there at night can sense not to mess with you. Chance of crime is low pretty much anywhere in central Rome, but not so much near Termini. I have been going to Rome, Naples, Venice, Lecce, Florence, Palermo, Torino, Matera, you name it, for many, many years, accumulating many years of living there. The only time there was a mugging attempt on me was around 8PM, by four guys, near Termini (they weren't successful). It's just plain ugly around there, and difficult to find good food except in Rome Termini market itself, but that is not a restaurant, and it won't be open at that time.

In sum, a taxi might enable you to stay in a nice neighborhood, and get a little more sleep. The caveat is that the taxi takes about ten minutes longer than the Leonardo Express, but you can make that up by having the taxi pick you up right at your hotel and get moving, rather than having to travel from the hotel with luggage for some number of blocks, dealing with getting train tickets, etc. When you can just go door to door to the airport for 48 euros. If there are several in the party, it might be a better choice because you can stay at a hotel that is not basically Rome's slummiest central, and least attractive neighborhood. You won't be enjoying a late night glass of Prosecco at an out door patio near Termini, and unless you do some real research on restaurants, you'll probably have to wind up eating at the McDonalds there, or at a shish kebab place.

If it's just you, you might want to save the 34 euros, but depending on the size of the party, think about taking a taxi. I usually use Leonardo Express, and I walk to it, but not at that hour. You can pick a hotel that's sort of closer to the route to the airport. That would generally mean near the Colosseum. Not my favorite place because of guys in gladiator costumes hassling you to take pictures (and pay for them), a bit of a larget for pickpockets because of all the tourists, but pick-pocketing is a preventable crime. It's safe, there is no mugging there. And if you are a decent walker, you can walk anywhere, except you'd have to be a really strong walker to get to the Vatican. Everything else is doable. Rione Monti is a safe and nice neighborhood closer to the airport than say, Piazza del Popolo area.

So depending on the size of your party, you might be able to stay in a decent, romantic, neighborhood in the historic area of the center, and instead of having to walk to Termini or take a cab at 4:45 AM at 14 euros per person, consider a wisely chosen hotel and taxi or car. If it's just you, the 14 vs 48 euro difference might make you have to stay in Termini area, but if there are several of you, the extra sleep and convenience and sharing the costs of a hotel in a nice romantic neighborhood is something to consider.

The only thing to consider if you are contemplating taxi is to google map it, and make sure there aren't any road closures that could slow down a taxi trip. Concierge might be able to help. It's always a slight risk. But then, the trains go on strike frequently too. The Leonardo Express is guaranteed to run even during a strike, but it usually involves them renting buses and taking you there, so if there are road closures the buses will be delayed too, so check the strike schedule, road closure schedule a few days in advance, and make whatever choice is best for you.
11sjw likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 11sjw
Alternatively, stay somewhere nicer in Rome than Termini (that's just about anywhere but Termini) and sleep at a hotel near the airport the night before you depart (the Hilton @ the airport is a reasonable choice).

Yes, it's nice to spend the last night in Rome but really how late into the evening will it be if you have to make a 5:20AM train which means getting up before 5AM? If I wanted to be in Rome, I'd leave the bags at my hotel, have dinner in Rome and then take a cab out to the airport and spend the night @ the Hilton. I could probably get 6 hours of sleep, be up @ 6AM with plenty of time to make my flight.
obscure2k, KLouis, 11sjw and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Just a heads-up for those who enjoy shopping in Italy and also enjoy getting your tax refunded at FCO. The tax refund process used to be very easy when your goods where bought in Italy (show your tax free receipts, get the customs stamp and get the money), but alas, no more.

This is what I had to do to get my money a few days ago at FCO.

First, go to the Global Blue/Premier/Planet booth before check in and show the receipts. Then proceed to the customs counter. Here depending on the agent’s mood he/she will or not ask you to see the goods inside your luggage. I suspect speaking Italian makes the process easier — I was the only person who was not asked to show le merci. The customs agent then printed an affidavit, which we both signed, saying that he had seen the goods and that I promised to take them out of the EU. Finally, he placed a numbered security seal on my checked luggage, so as not to be able to open it again until leaving the EU.

Then it was check-in, where the agent had to paste a copy of my bag tag in the affidavit. Remember to ask for it, as they didn’t seem familiar at all with the procedure (and I was flying AR, whose check-in is done by AZ staff). Bags checked, you then go through security. Before reaching passport control, go to another customs office and give them your affidavit with the bag tag copy pasted on it. Customs agent number 2 will type something on the computer. Then, go next door to another Global Blue/Premier/Planet stand, where you will finally get your money upon showing, for the third time, your tax free receipts.

The whole thing took almost an hour, so allow extra time and be ready to open your bags if required.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:42 pm

Israeli citizens with a biometric passport are now eligible to use FCO e-gates

notizie - Aeroporti di Roma
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Marambio
Just a heads-up for those who enjoy shopping in Italy and also enjoy getting your tax refunded at FCO. The tax refund process used to be very easy when your goods where bought in Italy (show your tax free receipts, get the customs stamp and get the money), but alas, no more.

This is what I had to do to get my money a few days ago at FCO.

First, go to the Global Blue/Premier/Planet booth before check in and show the receipts. Then proceed to the customs counter. Here depending on the agent’s mood he/she will or not ask you to see the goods inside your luggage. I suspect speaking Italian makes the process easier — I was the only person who was not asked to show le merci. The customs agent then printed an affidavit, which we both signed, saying that he had seen the goods and that I promised to take them out of the EU. Finally, he placed a numbered security seal on my checked luggage, so as not to be able to open it again until leaving the EU.

Then it was check-in, where the agent had to paste a copy of my bag tag in the affidavit. Remember to ask for it, as they didn’t seem familiar at all with the procedure (and I was flying AR, whose check-in is done by AZ staff). Bags checked, you then go through security. Before reaching passport control, go to another customs office and give them your affidavit with the bag tag copy pasted on it. Customs agent number 2 will type something on the computer. Then, go next door to another Global Blue/Premier/Planet stand, where you will finally get your money upon showing, for the third time, your tax free receipts.

The whole thing took almost an hour, so allow extra time and be ready to open your bags if required.
Thank you. This is valuable information.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:52 pm

It’s not correct. Unless in dire straits like leaving the country, the airport is the last place to get your tax refund.

You can get stuck behind a tour group of 35 people, each carrying several shopping bags, and none of them, including the tour guide can even speak Italian.

Almost every city you’d visit in Italy has a place where they’ll just take the cash and hand you the money, or refund it to your credit card.

In Venice, exit Piazza San Marco opposite the Basilica, turn right and walk 20 feet. You can do it there, no lines, leave with the cash. Takes about 2 minutes. In Rome the place I use is caty-corner to the Pantheon. Meaning stand in front of the Pantheon with your back to the Pantheon. Turn right and head down the street. It’s anout 20 yards away, on your left.

Forget about doing this at the airport. Do it in the city before you leave. It will take 5 minutes. Don’t waste an hour at the airport behind several tour groups where even the tour guide can’t speak Italian.

These places exjst to unload unload the airport lines. I’ve posted about this before. I’ve done it dozens of times. Once in Venice, a tour group was in front of me at the place in San Marco. Seeing that I was alone, the lady behind the counter waved me to the front and gave me my refund in less than a minute. Cash in pocket.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If you do this in a city are you required not to use what you bought before leaving the airport? I know that when I bought a watch in Switzerland and got the tax refund at the Swiss-Italian border, it was still in its package and I was told not to take it out of the box until I flew home.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Perche
It’s not correct. Unless in dire straits like leaving the country, the airport is the last place to get your tax refund.

You can get stuck behind a tour group of 35 people, each carrying several shopping bags, and none of them, including the tour guide can even speak Italian.

Almost every city you’d visit in Italy has a place where they’ll just take the cash and hand you the money, or refund it to your credit card.

In Venice, exit Piazza San Marco opposite the Basilica, turn right and walk 20 feet. You can do it there, no lines, leave with the cash. Takes about 2 minutes. In Rome the place I use is caty-corner to the Pantheon. Meaning stand in front of the Pantheon with your back to the Pantheon. Turn right and head down the street. It’s anout 20 yards away, on your left.

Forget about doing this at the airport. Do it in the city before you leave. It will take 5 minutes. Don’t waste an hour at the airport behind several tour groups where even the tour guide can’t speak Italian.

These places exjst to unload unload the airport lines. I’ve posted about this before. I’ve done it dozens of times. Once in Venice, a tour group was in front of me at the place in San Marco. Seeing that I was alone, the lady behind the counter waved me to the front and gave me my refund in less than a minute. Cash in pocket.
I agree that doing the Global Blue step of the process in town is usually quicker than at the airport, and I have done it myself a few times at their fancy offices in Piazza di Spagna. The problem, besides the fact that as far as I know Premier/Planet don't have any in town offices, is that even if you go to Global Blue's local office, you will still need a customs stamp at the airport, and it is precisely in that part of the process that the new measures now add lots of time. It used to be the case that you approached a customs booth at FCO, got the stamp without much further addo and pronto. Now, instead, you are supposed to go to the customs office, get the affidavit, let them put a security seal in your luggage, then go to check-in and ask for a copy of the bag tag to be glued to the affidavit, and finally, after clearing security, go again to another customs office to surrender the affidavit and the bag tag copy.

I understand the obvious reason behind this new measure (since they put a security seal in your bag and you are asked to surrender a copy of the checked luggage tag it is now almost impossible for your goods not to leave the EU), but it does make the whole process lengthier, so people should allow extra time if planning to get their tax free money at FCO.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
I agree that doing the Global Blue step of the process in town is usually quicker than at the airport, and I have done it myself a few times at their fancy offices in Piazza di Spagna. The problem, besides the fact that as far as I know Premier/Planet don't have any in town offices, is that even if you go to Global Blue's local office, you will still need a customs stamp at the airport, and it is precisely in that part of the process that the new measures now add lots of time. It used to be the case that you approached a customs booth at FCO, got the stamp without much further addo and pronto. Now, instead, you are supposed to go to the customs office, get the affidavit, let them put a security seal in your luggage, then go to check-in and ask for a copy of the bag tag to be glued to the affidavit, and finally, after clearing security, go again to another customs office to surrender the affidavit and the bag tag copy.

I understand the obvious reason behind this new measure (since they put a security seal in your bag and you are asked to surrender a copy of the checked luggage tag it is now almost impossible for your goods not to leave the EU), but it does make the whole process lengthier, so people should allow extra time if planning to get their tax free money at FCO.
I never bother with that.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:07 am

[QUOTE=Perche;30831777]I never bother with that. It's not as if they ask you if you have duty free at the airport. I just go to the store in town. Then they ask if I want the VAT credited to my credit card, or want to receive it in euros. I take the euros. I take e shirt, watch, shoes, coat, whatever that I bought and just put it in my luggage like it's my stuff. I don't even go to the duty free line because I already have the cash refund in my pocket, so there is no reason to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.