Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car from Florence to Camogli

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Rental Car from Florence to Camogli

I am going to be driving from Florence to Camogli (and then Camogli to MXP to get home) in July. Just my wife and I.

A friend told me about Europcar. Any other suggestions?

I have a few questions:

-Should I go no smaller than Compact? Figure 2 large suitcases and a 2 other small bags
-Should I pay for GPS, or try to use my phone?
-Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Why do you need a car? Do you have planed a roundtrip or only two times Airport to Camogli and Camogli to Airport? If last, there is at least no need of GPS...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking that I would need a car to get from Florence to Camogli, to get to some of the towns by Camogli for day trips, and then to get from Camogli to MXP. Is there a way to do these trips without a car?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You can, but it's not easy. Florence to Pisa, Pisa to La Spezia, La Spezia to Sestri Levante, Sestri Levante to Camogli. Five hours, mostly regional trains with little time to change from train to train. You'd have to be comfortable with the Italian train system. I love Italian train trips, but it does have its quirks. For example, when a train coming into a station, you want to know where it's going, so you know whether or not to get on. In Italy they don't announce where the train is going. Strangely, they instead announce where the train just came from. You have figure out for yourself where it is going. If renting a car, just make sure it's big enough to completely hide all of your belongings in the trunk. They will break into a car in a minute if they see luggage in it.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
With car rentals, I've found Hertz to be the cheapest for OW rentals in Italy though Europcar can be competitive.

You can go for a smaller car if you avoid suitcases and get soft bags which can be somewhat moulded into the available space (or/and use the back seat).

As for theft protection as suggested, it'd take a pretty big car to hide your bags, if possible at all.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Also check consolidators (e.g. economycarrentals rentalcars.com, etc.) they may be cheaper than the main agencies.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JEStarr
I am going to be driving from Florence to Camogli (and then Camogli to MXP to get home) in July. Just my wife and I.

A friend told me about Europcar. Any other suggestions?

I have a few questions:

-Should I go no smaller than Compact? Figure 2 large suitcases and a 2 other small bags
-Should I pay for GPS, or try to use my phone?
-Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Probably not a good idea to go smaller than 'compact'. Otherwise they may give you something like a FIAT 500 which will be too small.

Unless you've downloaded the mapping on a GPS app., I'd pay for GPS. Using your 'phone might land you with steep data roaming charges (unless your SIM is registered in another EU country). You won't regret the piece of mind it brings (and it'll give you the confidence to drive up and down some of the many narrow and steep roads in these beautiful regions.

Be aware that all car rental companies will try to load you up with extra insurance when you stipulate the contract. Do you research in advance.

Many of the smaller car rental companies will ask you for a ridiculously high credit card guarantee. In my experience this has never led to any problems, but can be a surprise when an agent calmly asks you to sign a €2,000 credit card guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.