Reload this Page >

Venice hotel suggestion-

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venice hotel suggestion-

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:16 pm

Every country in Europe has a different idea on what is good coffee. Italy is one of my favorites. I love espresso the Italian way. Short, strong, with a spoon of sugar and quick.

Talking about hotels in Venice I would stay somwehere in Dorsoduro http://www.traveltovenezia.com/dorso...duro-sestiere/

I would also suggest Ca' Maria Adele ( some of the most lavish rooms in Venice ) if you can afford it.

Alternatively I would stay in Hilton in Giudecca ( big nice 5 star hotel ). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giudecca

Depends how much money you have and many different preferences. There are hundreds of hotels in Venice. If you can afford it why not stay few nights in Danieli?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:20 pm

Venice Hotels - Which would you choose?

Hello, I have read through every thread I could find that discussed this but many were dated and only had one or two data points. So I would love to hear some thoughts/advice on which hotel to choose for our three nights in Venice.

Through various deals/websites I have secured three (refundable) reservations for about the same price from which to choose:

Hotel ai Reali (deluxe room)
Bauer IL Palazzo (deluxe suite)
Metropole (junior suite)

I love the idea of a historic/romantic feeling hotel but am afraid that the Bauer and Metropole might be a little dated. I am also a bit nervous about the crowds (I will be traveling in late April). What do you think? Has anyone stayed at any of these locations or have a better suggestion entirely?

Thanks in advance for and insights or help you might have!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Probably more information would help. This is too open-ended. Budget, what are you looking for? Just too open ended as in, "can you tell me where I should stay when I visit Boston?" Are you a couple, do you like to walk, are you into museums, do you just want to shop, do you want to see the beauty of Venice, etc.? More details would help. Venice for people who are good at walking, Venice for people who don't want to walk too much is something else.

At a glance, I wouldn't stay at Ai Reali because the neighborhood around San Lio will make you feel like you are in an amusement park. The Metropole is in a great neighborhood, right next to Via Garibaldi. That's a great street to walk, eat ciccheti, it is very natural Venice. I haven't stayed at that hotel, but it seems to be a little older and run down. The Bauer Palace (beware, there are two Bauers), is a premium property. A great hotel. But when you walk outside, you won't see a Venetian, just a swarm of tourists, because it's right near Piazza San Marco. So you have to take your pick. You want a luxury hotel experience, or you want to see Venice. Up to you

Last edited by Perche; Nov 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:15 am

I stayed at the Palazzo Stern last year. Very romantic, waterfront dining on the Grand Canal, close to St. Mark square, but in a quiet neighborhood. Highly recommend it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice! Rereading now I can see how open ended that was! Ideally my boyfriend and I will be looking for that combination of luxury/romance and authentic Venice (though now it seems that may be more difficult to find then I originally though!). Honestly the main allure of Ai Reali is that from the map I thought it would be a little more secluded! I will cross that off my list...

For a little more background my boyfriend and I will be traveling to Venice the first time. So we will be doing the obligatory sites but also a fair amount of exploring and walking. We are big foodies and will be trying to try some 'authentic' restaurants. Our budget is aprox $500/night.

Any advice on Bauer Hotel vs Bauer Il Palazzo? Or any ideas on different hotels I should be looking at? I will look into Palazzo Stern!

Thanks again!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Consider staying at Ai Cavallieri. Hotelaicavallieri.com
I am currently staying at this hotel and I find the hotel and the neighborhood enchanting. Close to St Maria Formosa in a very quiet, yet convenient location. I have been to Venice more times than I can remember and this one is a winner. Avoid Metropole!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Consider staying at Ai Cavallieri. Hotelaicavallieri.com
I am currently staying at this hotel and I find the hotel and the neighborhood enchanting. Close to St Maria Formosa in a very quiet, yet convenient location. I have been to Venice more times than I can remember and this one is a winner. Avoid Metropole!!
I'll second that. I just walked past Metropole this afternoon. There was a group of about 100 people holding those sticks to take a "selfie" picture of themselves. Venice in its worst way. I wouldn't.

My friend is playing the piano bar tonight at Bauer, but he didn't know if it was Bauer, or Bauer Palazzo. They are distinct I'll get his report tomorrow, but it probably won't be very helpful. He told me, "what do you expect me to tell you from the piano bar? I'm not the room inspector." He's a fairly distinguished piano player in Venice, and right now is the Venetian jazz festival, and that speaks a lot.

Metropole, better neighborhood, but I wouldn't stay there. As for Bauer Palazzo, depends. If you have a Grand Canal direct on view, certainly! You can't get anything more romantic than that. But if you're just in a room without that view, I wouldn't stay there. Anywhere near Piazza San Marco is a total disaster.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:48 am

A grand canal view is wonderful, but it can also be enjoyed (perhaps better) from the terraces of the Gritti, Bauer, Europa, Monaco and Centurion (to name a few.
I have stayed in Cannareggio and had a canal view, just not the Grand Canal.At the moment from where I am staying, I can look out of the window and see a canal with gondolas and bridges, but this canal is in Castello. I completely agree with Perche. Stay away from the St Marks area. If the crowds of tourists don't kill you their ubiquitous cigarette smoke will. Rialto area better. A la Commedia is well located in the Rialto area. It is, however, not on a canal.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: *G
ai reali is a nice hotel, and if youre looking for food, its got a superb restaurant

ate there this weekend
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by deniah
ai reali is a nice hotel, and if youre looking for food, its got a superb restaurant

ate there this weekend
I don't doubt that you enjoyed it, but right outside of hotel Ai Reali is the Disney World Store. That is as touristy a neighborhood as you can find in Venice, with food to match. When stepping outside in Italy I like to feel as if I'm in Italy, not in Orlando, Florida.
https://goo.gl/maps/oh22QeoysRx

Last edited by Perche; Nov 29, 2015 at 4:09 am
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Venice Hotels - Which would you choose?

I liked the Westin on the grand canal if you want a hotel with history and views, however on last visit in May, I found a gem of an Airbnb flat in Fenice area of city (easy walk everywhere) with gondolas going by in the canal. It was a fun place to stay local for under $200 with a fabulous wine bar nearby. The owners were great and I was spoiled on my first Airbnb stay - here is my review http://philatravelgirl.com/airbnb_venice_flat_fenice_apartment/
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brooke123
For a little more background my boyfriend and I will be traveling to Venice the first time. So we will be doing the obligatory sites but also a fair amount of exploring and walking. We are big foodies and will be trying to try some 'authentic' restaurants. Our budget is aprox $500/night.

Any advice on Bauer Hotel vs Bauer Il Palazzo? Or any ideas on different hotels I should be looking at? I will look into Palazzo Stern!

Thanks again!
Bauer Palazzo if you get a canal view. Otherwise, neither.

As for food, I'm sure you've heard of how bad the food is in Italy, and particularly in Venice, because of all the tourists. There is no incentive to serve good food to someone who will out of the country in three days, so you have to really know where to look. And just, "going where the locals eat," is not enough. When I'm not here, I live in San Francisco. Eating in SF, a great foodie town, obviously doesn't mean that everyplace the locals are eating is stellar. Sometimes, a diner is just a diner.

Since you only have three days, I'd start here, these restaurants are like a guild. They have pride in what they do, and hold themselves to the highest standards. When one of them slips, they get thrown out. I've seen it happen. Towards the right, click on ENG for the english translation: http://www.veneziaristoranti.it/menu-ristoranti.php

All of these restaurants serve great food. You pay a little more, but it's worth it. Al Covo, Antiche Carampane, Il Ridotto, Corte Sconta, and Alle Testiera are generally thought to be the best of the lot, you can't go wrong with any of them. Keep in mind you MUST get a reservation for any good restaurant in Venice. Email them a week or two in advance. They'll find a way to understand the english.

Beyond that, you should never listen to your concierge.
The next articles will be tough because their in Italian. You can try copying and pasting in Google Translate, but it's not very accurate, and is even comical. But if you have time and interest, you can pick up a few ideas. They're all from a gourmet magazine called Nothing is Sacred Except the Food. Just type Venice into the search box.
http://www.dissapore.com

You'll come up with good tips and background, although Google Translate is pretty bad, such as: Eating and drinking in Venice: Manual on how to survive. Scroll down to the second picture, the one of St. Marks Square, and you'll get the drift. Then, imagine that whole crown trying window shop while meandering down five foot wide alleys. You have to avoid St. Marks, the area around Rialto and around the trains station. Mangiare e bere a Venezia: manuale di sopravvivenza.
http://www.dissapore.com/grande-noti..._p=1&sro_q=122

Or, Ristoranti Venezia | 10 bacari per mangiare bene spendendo poco, ten osteria where you can eat well and spend little.
http://www.dissapore.com/grande-noti..._p=2&sro_q=122

Or this one, with a comically poor translation, NESSUNO È PERFETTO - 99 problemi dei ristoranti di Venezia. 99 problems with venetian restaurants.
http://www.dissapore.com/grande-noti..._p=8&sro_q=122

For three days, you'll have more than enough ideas. Just don't go into a place where you didn't need a reservation. Anywhere in Italy, unless it's just a bacari, or bar.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:59 pm

Definitely recommend Marissa, which is on the list at #4. It is hectic, fun, food is terrific and very reasonably priced. I don't recall seeing a sign over the door. We were introduced to Marissa by a friend who works in the area. It is near the 3 arches Bridge in Canarregio.
The other list you posted included Fiaschetteria Toscana. That happens to be my favorite fine dining restaurant in Venice. Ask to be seated downstairs. Our favorite waiter, Roberto, just retired. He worked there for 45 years, having started at the age of 15.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Perche
I don't doubt that you enjoyed it, but right outside of hotel Ai Reali is the Disney World Store. That is as touristy a neighborhood as you can find in Venice, with food to match. When stepping outside in Italy I like to feel as if I'm in Italy, not in Orlando, Florida.
https://goo.gl/maps/oh22QeoysRx
Sorry , I think you are being extremely unfair.

Along with the post in the other thread re: Piazzale Roma

Firstly, Venice pretty much lives on tourism. And for being so tiny geographically, you could blanket the charge of "being in a touristy neighborhood" for every establishment in the whole island.

So (1) don't stay near train station (other thread) and (2) dont stay near the Disney World Store... by a tiny radius you'll have wiped out a significant number of hotels on the island.

The hotel is actually off the main "arterial" way on the island, yet is still quite close to P San Marco (equidistant to your recommended Metropole), so its immediate vicinity enjoys relative quiet and calm. It is well reviewed on major sites, for what its worth.

I also enjoyed lunch at Osteria Alla Staffa. Tiny place. Value for dollar was outstanding.

Antiche Carampane that you recommended, was shown on Anthony Bourdain's TV show...

I agree Venice is overtouristed and overpriced. I've admitted as much multiple in the Europe forum: it's my LEAST favorite Italian destination and the last recommendation. Nevertheless, places like above are worth while. Italian buddy of mine who's a big foodie and lived up and down the country thought the same.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:16 pm

Wow. You guys are great. Thanks for all the recommendations and the tip about making reservations. The restaurant guild sounds like a great start. I look forward to digging in more to all the restaurant recommendations and will definitely try and hit Marissa and Fiaschetteria Toscana.
I checked out the http://www.dissapore.com/grande-noti..._p=1&sro_q=122 site and saw the picture of the crowds. Wow, I think was underestimating just how bad they can be. Definitely not what I was picturing in my head. (And I lived in NYC for a few years!)
Ok. So Metropole is out. I will see if I can get a room with a view at Bauer Il Palazzo or its out. Sounds like Ai Cavallieri might be in a more quiet neighborhood then ai Reali though from the websites look very similar in style (owned by the same people maybe?). Hard to believe they have a Disney store in Venice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.