Venice hotel suggestion-

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venice hotel suggestion-

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
In Dupont Circle they sell piadinis at the Farmers Market; I have to admit that the first time I bought a cannolo it threw me for a loop, but then again one was more than enough.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Two pizzas, two bagels, one tamale, one pierogi. All grammatically incorrect in their original language. And there are many other examples., not just restricted to food items. Like it or not, when words get assimilated into another language, they eventually become subject to the grammatical rules of the new language.

IME, Italians fortunately tend to be forgiving of the solecisms of tourists. I have not yet been publicly rebuked for using the passato prossimo instead of the imperfetto, or for mis-guessing the gender of a noun ending in "e." For that matter, I've blundered my way through Poland, Hungary, Finland, and other countries making god-knows-what rookie mistakes in attempting to order food and so forth, and have not yet had my face slapped. If the local people are laughing at me for having the temerity to make the attempt, at least they 're doing it behind my back.
Good points, but when in Italy the Italian language is not subject to the grammatical rules of a new language, because Italian is the language spoken there. But you're right, nobody will get on you for making a grammatical error. But I have seen some comical situations where someone asks for one biscotti?

I don't think the word tamale even exists in Mexico. You can eat one tamal, or two tamales, but theres no such thing as a tamale in Mexico, so you're right on.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
IME, Italians fortunately tend to be forgiving of the solecisms of tourists. I have not yet been publicly rebuked for using the passato prossimo instead of the imperfetto, or for mis-guessing the gender of a noun ending in "e."
When I butchered the grammar and mangled the plurals, I was corrected with a smile and served what I ordered. Everywhere in Italy, they seemed to appreciate the fact that I made the effort and tried ordering in Italian instead of just assuming that they understood English (although they frequently responded in English).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I am heading to VCE in two weeks and will stay for 2 nights. I have chosen the LaGare hotel on the small island of Murano opposite Venice...I hope it's alright.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV
I am heading to VCE in two weeks and will stay for 2 nights. I have chosen the LaGare hotel on the small island of Murano opposite Venice...I hope it's alright.
I stayed in LaGare a couple of weeks ago for one night and was very impressed. I booked a canal view "suite" for around EUR300. It was modern, large, well equipped. The breakfast buffet was impressive and we had an enjoyable lunch in the downstairs bar.

Murano is busy during the day with day trippers, but peaceful in the evenings - choose a place to eat early as the few places open can get busy.

There is a fine glasswares museum just around the (NE) corner from the hotel.

There is also a well provided supermarket close by (Co-Op) (along the canal to the West).

Obviously, you'll need to take transport to get to the tourist spots (if that's your thing) - there is a wharf right outside the hotel door.

The other Accor hotel in Venice - Papadopoli - near the station and by the Tolentini Canal, is also a great alternative to the over-priced Grand Canal hotels, with good value eateries nearby.

For the record, I also stayed at the Hilton on Guidecca (on points with upgrade to canal facing King), which was very comfortable and provides a contrasting experience to the crowds of San Marco with local eateries, bars, supermarket, grocers, etc., and local people doing their thing...

Next trip, if I have the cash, I'd go straight to the Belmonde Cipriani Hotel on Guidecca and bypass the costly alternatives of the Gritti Palace, Danieli, Westin, etc (I'm sure these are great but there is so much more to Venice than the Grand Canal and St Mark's Square...and you just don't need to spend so much cash for a canal view!).

Lunch away from the crowds at Harry's Dolci Cafe and Cip Club (Cipriani Hotel) on Giudecca were the highlights of a four week trip to Europe...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks heaps Platy
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV
Thanks heaps Platy
Look out for Acquastanca - it has a large hanging wooden fish and one small bench outside by the footbridge halfway along the smaller canal that leads southwards from the main canal with the hotel (turn right out of the hotel, cross the main canal by footbridge and turn left to walk south along the smaller canal and cross the smaller canal to get to the Fundamenta Manin)...one of the "it places" for lunch or an early evening drink...enjoy!

PS. Our original booking for water taxi to get back to the airport booked by the hotel went astray (don't think it was the hotel's fault) - so if a water taxi is booked and appears to be late don't hesitate to chase up with reception..."powerboating" in water taxi to the airport along the water channel as busy as motorway is a total blast....

...oh and a good glasswares operation to visit is almost unmarked - turn right out of the hotel and walk maybe 200 metres long the main canal, past the supermarket and trattorias and keep watch to the right - there is a glass factory down an alleyway with blue signage - these guys won't hassle you (they don't speak good English anyway) and do the requisite free glassblowing demonstrations from mid morning - they supply Australian department store David Jones.

General advice is to check for Murano glass hallmark if you are a buyer and want to ensure authenticity.

Last edited by Platy; Aug 25, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Hilton Venice + Westin Venice

I found this thread interesting. I am planning to go in early Sept. 2016 with my family including kids. I am planning to go during the Regata Storica festival.

My plan is to spend the 1st 2 nights at the Hilton Venice and use up my Hilton points there. Mrs will be Gold so the breakfast will help.

I am planning to move over the morning of Sun. 9/4/16 to the Westin so I am not trapped on the island for the festival and can watch on main island. Also if one of the kids gets tired we can walk back to the hotel.

I know it is hassle moving but I need 2 rooms and rather not burn up more (hard to get) SPG points on the other 4 room nights that i am currently stay at the Hilton. I got a points + cash rate at Westin Venice of 11K points + $253 per night for a Deluxe King.

Is this plan to split between Hilton and Westin okay other than the hassle of lugging bags on the boat from Hilton to SM square and then dragging them to the Westin?

Also we are arriving via train from Florence and flying out out of VCE so I don't think I can dump the bigger bags somewhere for a few days w/o a hassle of carrying them to the airport. Let me know if anyone as suggestions in this area as well.

While at the Hilton, I am open to making a side trip one day with say 2 big bags that I can lug solo if that is recommended so we can get lighter at the end of the trip.

I have a 11am international flight Monday morning from VCE; what time do I need to leave the Westin and what is the best way to get to the airport?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I found this thread interesting. I am planning to go in early Sept. 2016 with my family including kids. I am planning to go during the Regata Storica festival.

My plan is to spend the 1st 2 nights at the Hilton Venice and use up my Hilton points there. Mrs will be Gold so the breakfast will help.

I am planning to move over the morning of Sun. 9/4/16 to the Westin so I am not trapped on the island for the festival and can watch on main island. Also if one of the kids gets tired we can walk back to the hotel.

I know it is hassle moving but I need 2 rooms and rather not burn up more (hard to get) SPG points on the other 4 room nights that i am currently stay at the Hilton. I got a points + cash rate at Westin Venice of 11K points + $253 per night for a Deluxe King.

Is this plan to split between Hilton and Westin okay other than the hassle of lugging bags on the boat from Hilton to SM square and then dragging them to the Westin?

Also we are arriving via train from Florence and flying out out of VCE so I don't think I can dump the bigger bags somewhere for a few days w/o a hassle of carrying them to the airport. Let me know if anyone as suggestions in this area as well.

While at the Hilton, I am open to making a side trip one day with say 2 big bags that I can lug solo if that is recommended so we can get lighter at the end of the trip.

I have a 11am international flight Monday morning from VCE; what time do I need to leave the Westin and what is the best way to get to the airport?
I'm not partial to either of those hotels, but I fully understand the use of points and the need to save. There is nothing wrong with your plan. In fact, it is very good except for one thing: your thought about making a side trip for one day from Venice. You can't see Venice in a week, so why take a side trip to see a far inferior place. Stay in Venice. If you get wanderlust, go to Burano, which is at least technically a part of Venice.

What time you need to leave for the airport depends on how you are going to get there. You probably want to arrive at least 2.5 hours before, or at 8:30. Figure an hour to get there with Alilaguna. But if there are four of you just take a water taxi because it will cost only a little more, but would be well worth it. They'll get you there in half an hour, in style. So, leave the hotel at 8 by water taxi, get to the airport at 8:30, through security and lines in an hour or so at most, then you have 90 minutes. You'll have 45 minutes to relax, and 45 minutes to be at the gate ahead of time. You can adjust this as you see fit according to your status in getting through lines, and how stressed you get at airports in getting through security, going to duty free, getting VAT refunds, whatever it is that you need to due.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Perche thanks for you feedback.

When I meant side trip; I mean a side trip to VCE to store 2 of the big bags at the airport so we don't have to lug them back on our return trip. I guess it doesn't matter if we do a private water taxi and it saves me the time on an extra trip.

Another question, say if my flight is a 7AM departure the next morning from VCE can I still make it via a private water taxi (though very early in the morning)? Or is it better to move to say the Courtyard Marriott by VCE? Since we want to watch the Regata Storica the day before I am not sure how to pull it off if we move the Courtyard Marriott.

Any suggestions on how/where to watch the Regata Storica. I e-mailed the Westin and they send a 200Euro per person menu for their restaurant that has a view.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Caffe latte & a croissant sounds delicious to me. Do most bakeries also sell biscotti?
There is no such thing as cafe latte in Italy. That's a Starbucks concoction.

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Perche thanks for you feedback.

When I meant side trip; I mean a side trip to VCE to store 2 of the big bags at the airport so we don't have to lug them back on our return trip. I guess it doesn't matter if we do a private water taxi and it saves me the time on an extra trip.

Another question, say if my flight is a 7AM departure the next morning from VCE can I still make it via a private water taxi (though very early in the morning)? Or is it better to move to say the Courtyard Marriott by VCE? Since we want to watch the Regata Storica the day before I am not sure how to pull it off if we move the Courtyard Marriott.

Any suggestions on how/where to watch the Regata Storica. I e-mailed the Westin and they send a 200Euro per person menu for their restaurant that has a view.
Side trips back and forth to the airport are not easy. You can get a private water taxi any time of the day or night. It is never worth moving to the hotels near the airport in Venice, no matter when your flight is leaving. None of the airport hotels are actually at the airport in Venice. They just call them that. You still have to take a cab or shuttle from them to get to the airport. They are in industrial, ugly waste lands with nothing to do, so instead of having a final enjoyable night in Venice, you are stuck in a hotel in a bad neighborhood.

The Regatta Storica extends over several days. You can just walk along into Castello near Giardini to see some of the events. The main event, however, is more in the Grand Canal. At Campo San Vio they put out floating docks and you can see it from there. 60 euros for an adult, 30 under 18. Or, just go anywhere you can find sidewalk along the Grand Canal if you don't want to be in a roped off, slightly controlled setting.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
Originally Posted by philemer
Caffe latte & a croissant sounds delicious to me.
There is no such thing as cafe latte in Italy.
philemer, just order caffè e latte, caffellatte or latte macchiato and you'll get what you want.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
philemer, just order caffè e latte, caffellatte or latte macchiato and you'll get what you want.
I'd have to disagree. You are not going to find an american style latte in Italy.

In Italian latte simply means milk. Order a latte, you get a glass of milk. If you ask for cafe' e' latte, you are asking for a coffee and milk, and might get a cup of each, depending whether or not you have a child with you, etc.

If you ask for cafe con latte, or caffellate, you get a shot of coffee into which some plain milk is poured. Coffee with plain milk. That's not a USA/Starbucks style latte which, is a shot of coffee over which a tall glass of steamed milk is poured.

Macchiato is a shot of coffee with a teaspoon of foam on top (probably the most commonly ordered coffee, after a "normale," a shot of coffee with nothing added). Macchiato means stained. The dot of white foam is a stain on the dark coffee. Latte Macchiato is a big glass of warm, foamed milk that is stained by pouring a splash of espresso over it. It's for people who feel up to drinking a large glass of bubbly warm milk for breakfast.

Italian coffee culture is distinct, and poles apart from USA coffee. Why try to reproduce the experience of home, and not just go and have coffee like a local? If you really need to have coffee like it is at home, you can ask for an Americano. When italians used to drinking their coffee visited the USA and tasted drip coffee, they decided to reproduce it for tourists who wanted a taste of home. It's an espresso diluted with a large amount of hot water. You can ask for "un cafe americano con un po di latte," and it will be just like being at Dunkin Donuts.

Italian coffee guide:
http://www.italymagazine.com/feature...coffee-culture
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
I'd have to disagree. You are not going to find an american style latte in Italy.

In Italian latte simply means milk. Order a latte, you get a glass of milk. If you ask for cafe' e' latte, you are asking for a coffee and milk, and might get a cup of each, depending whether or not you have a child with you, etc.

If you ask for cafe con latte, or caffellate, you get a shot of coffee into which some plain milk is poured. Coffee with plain milk. That's not a USA/Starbucks style latte which, is a shot of coffee over which a tall glass of steamed milk is poured.

Macchiato is a shot of coffee with a teaspoon of foam on top (probably the most commonly ordered coffee, after a "normale," a shot of coffee with nothing added). Macchiato means stained. The dot of white foam is a stain on the dark coffee. Latte Macchiato is a big glass of warm, foamed milk that is stained by pouring a splash of espresso over it. It's for people who feel up to drinking a large glass of bubbly warm milk for breakfast.

Italian coffee culture is distinct, and poles apart from USA coffee. Why try to reproduce the experience of home, and not just go and have coffee like a local? If you really need to have coffee like it is at home, you can ask for an Americano. When italians used to drinking their coffee visited the USA and tasted drip coffee, they decided to reproduce it for tourists who wanted a taste of home. It's an espresso diluted with a large amount of hot water. You can ask for "un cafe americano con un po di latte," and it will be just like being at Dunkin Donuts.

Italian coffee guide:
http://www.italymagazine.com/feature...coffee-culture
Il Caffè Espresso Italiano:

<snip>

Uno degli argomenti spesso discussi durante i corsi sul caffè, riguarda le differenze fra caffè latte e latte macchiato; differenze che dovrebbero essere nette e facilmente individuabili, ma che risultano spesso sfumate perché queste tipiche preparazioni da bar trovano interpretazioni diverse in diverse regioni italiane.

In questo post, visto che un punto di riferimento bisogna pur averlo, cercheremo di capire cosa differenza queste ricette partendo da quelle adottate a livello internazionale; quelle, più o meno insomma, ufficiali.

Le differenze stanno nel mix percentuale di caffè e latte e nella presenza o meno di schiuma di latte, di crema di latte montato.

<snip>
Coffee Wikia

In Italy, latte means milk. What in English-speaking countries is now called a latte is shorthand for "caffelatte" or "caffellatte" ("caffè e latte"). The Italian form means "coffee and milk", similar to the French café au lait, the Spanish café con leche and the Portuguese café com leite. Other drinks commonly found in shops serving caffè lattes are cappuccinos and espressos.
The Italian Concierge

If you want a latte . . . ask for a latte macchiato (milk “marked” with espresso). If you just say latte, you’ll just get a glass of milk. These typically come very milky, so if you want the equivalent of a “double latte,” ask for a latte macchiato scuro (a dark one).
The Telegraph

Italian coffee culture: a guide

If you don't want to be taken for a tourist in Italy, you should drink coffee as and when the locals do.

<snip>

9. Thou shall be allowed the following variations, and these only, from the Holy Trinity of caffè, cappuccino and caffé latte: caffè macchiato or latte macchiato – an espresso with a dash of milk or a hot milk with a dash of coffee (remember, mornings only);

<snip>
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I enjoy coffee with milk and often am happy with caffe macchiato but sometimes there is too much or too little milk relative to what I want; in these places I ask for espresso con latte caldo a parte. I receive a coffee and a little container of hot milk that I can use as I please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.