Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Passport Control: Scan, Stamp, Both or Neither?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank

My son just arrived in Italy from MIA for his study abroad program and he says that the airport passport control officer neither scanned or stamped his passport (he just briefly looked at it and gave it back). Is this unusual?
I am wondering if he is ever questioned (in either italy or elsewhere in schengen) as to why there is no evidence of his arrival into europe, whether his story that it wasn't stamped or scanned will be credible?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by frank_10b
My son just arrived in Italy from MIA for his study abroad program and he says that the airport passport control officer neither scanned or stamped his passport (he just briefly looked at it and gave it back). Is this unusual?
I am wondering if he is ever questioned (in either italy or elsewhere in schengen) as to why there is no evidence of his arrival into europe, whether his story that it wasn't stamped or scanned will be credible?
It's not a problem. They often just wave you through. They rarely stamp, unless you ask them to do it sort of as a souvenir.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
US passports often are not even looked at. They just keep chatting or whatsapping=business as usual.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have entered about 100 times. no stamps. never had an inquire about contraband merchandise, either.

boarding at FLR one time, the tsa equivalent really wanted my wife's cuticle sizzors.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
In Malpensa I almost always get stamped...recently it was with a brand new passport and I asked the agent to be gentle with it (a virgin passport) and he very carefully applied the stamp before handing it back.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:56 am

It's pretty typical for Italy. Only once when exiting the Schengen zone in Frankfurt was I questioned about the lack of an entrance stamp. I shrugged my shoulders and said the Italians didn't stamp it. Which set off a bit of a tirade on the part of the German officer.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
...and I asked the agent to be gentle with it (a virgin passport) and he very carefully applied the stamp before handing it back.
Shows how considerate he was, a very fine latin lover, indeed! Just makes you think of Rossano Brazzi.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Italy, France, Spain and maybe few others don't always stamp Schengen entrance for the same reason US, Canada, Australia don't stamp exit.
Checks are made through passenger list, airlines, passport scans etc, if any.
A faded stamp is a joke anyway.
Of course this applies to NA passport holders AFAIK.
Now let's give jaded Germans a peg for tirades and eye-rolling and they'll be all over it in no time.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mromalley
It's pretty typical for Italy. Only once when exiting the Schengen zone in Frankfurt was I questioned about the lack of an entrance stamp. I shrugged my shoulders and said the Italians didn't stamp it. Which set off a bit of a tirade on the part of the German officer.
I had a similar experience. Was asked where I entered and answered Italy mentioning that they did not stamp my passport. He kind of rolled his eyes with a look of 'oh those Italians'. And I was on my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.