Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VCE Airport for First Time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

VCE Airport for First Time

We're flying into Venice airport for first time and are wondering about how long it will take us to get our luggage, clear customs and immigration, and get out to the curb to take one of the airport buses. We'll be on a Lufthansa flight coming from Germany and arriving Venice 1:50 PM. Are there usually lines to get through the landing formalities? Does luggage take forever to arrive? Any information you can give me would be appreciated. If it matters, this will be on a Friday afternoon in late September.

Also, is there a preferred side of the plane on which to sit to get nice views of the city? I realize the airport is not on the island of Venice, so all views may be lackluster, but just thought I'd ask.

Once out of the airport, what is generally the fastest way to get from the airport to the cruise port and Piazalle Roma area, and about how long would it take?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by roothy123
We're flying into Venice airport for first time and are wondering about how long it will take us to get our luggage, clear customs and immigration, and get out to the curb to take one of the airport buses. We'll be on a Lufthansa flight coming from Germany and arriving Venice 1:50 PM. Are there usually lines to get through the landing formalities? Does luggage take forever to arrive? Any information you can give me would be appreciated. If it matters, this will be on a Friday afternoon in late September.

Also, is there a preferred side of the plane on which to sit to get nice views of the city? I realize the airport is not on the island of Venice, so all views may be lackluster, but just thought I'd ask.

Once out of the airport, what is generally the fastest way to get from the airport to the cruise port and Piazalle Roma area, and about how long would it take?
If you are flying in from Germany, do you have an EU passport? The lines for EU passports are nil, maybe 5 minutes. For non-EU I don't know. They are to the left of the EU lines, and I've never noticed them to be long, as in the USA, or some cities like Rome. I guess it's variable, but I'm guessing it averages 15-25 minutes? I can't comment on luggage. Even if I'm going for six months, I never check a bag. I don't think there is a preferred side. Sometimes the pilot flies over the city, sometimes he or she does not. From Germany, I would expect not, unless because of winds he has to turn around and approach from the other side. The fastest way to get to Piazzale Roma is by bus, which takes about 20 minutes. The buses leave about every 10 minutes. From PR to the cruise terminal is very close distance wise, about 3/4 of a mile, but you really can't walk it. You should take a cab.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:30 pm

If the OP flies from Germany, there will be no passport control row anybody, as the flight is within Schengen.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
In my experience right-hand side was the good one to spot the city and lagoon, as generally runway 04L is in use.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

luggage is slow, for such a small airport. takes a good 15min on the best of days. luggage takes much longer than passport control, even with a usa passport.

the only things i have ever seen on landing at vce are smokestacks on the mainland.

never taken a bus or land taxi to venice. the water taxi is wonderful, great views, fast, but expensive.

ask the moderator to change your airport locater to VCE.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

iduplicate
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone - very helpful.

Just a comment in case others see this and use the info: I've read, though I don't know if it's true, that taxis from Piazzale Roma will NOT take you to the port. I suppose there's little money in doing that!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by roothy123
Thank you, everyone - very helpful.

Just a comment in case others see this and use the info: I've read, though I don't know if it's true, that taxis from Piazzale Roma will NOT take you to the port. I suppose there's little money in doing that!
Sort of depends on how desperate they are. Everything is available at a price. You're right, at height of tourist season, probably not much on the meter, but if you say, "10 euros, including luggage" and they say 15, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad deal. Everything is negotiable.

It can be walked, but you have to go a little bit on what is the highway to Mestre, then turn back over the railroad tracks. Not recommended with luggage. Another option is the PeopleMover, if it is still around. I don't know if it is. It's a tram from Piazzale Roma to the Tronchetto, or parking garage, which would leave you with a few minute walk easy walk to the Cruise Terminal. Your cruise ship company should be able to tell you if it is still available. I think it is.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Get a cart, follow the signs to the water taxi dock and go directly to the cruise port. That's what we do if we're not staying in Venice.

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.