Reload this Page >

Buying a TIM sim card at FCO ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a TIM sim card at FCO ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I have an ATT world phone account but even with a normal account you can buy 120$ plan per month with 800mb and .35$ a minute calls. I have my grandfathered plan turned on with ATT which is similar and it works find all over Italy. Of course I don't pay for it so I never search for better options. My BlackBerry goes everywhere, works everywhere, and ATT does a good job supporting all of my travel needs. YMMV.

You can also try a dual sim phone, some are better than others. Android works ok all around Italy with dual sim options. While not the best coverage map in Italy my Wind sim works well enough and their online portal is much improved.

How long did you go between turning the Italian sim on? As you might know, they will reassign numbers, usually after 12 months, but YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I have an ATT world phone account but even with a normal account you can buy 120$ plan per month with 800mb and .35$ a minute calls. I have my grandfathered plan turned on with ATT which is similar and it works find all over Italy. Of course I don't pay for it so I never search for better options. My BlackBerry goes everywhere, works everywhere, and ATT does a good job supporting all of my travel needs. YMMV.

You can also try a dual sim phone, some are better than others. Android works ok all around Italy with dual sim options. While not the best coverage map in Italy my Wind sim works well enough and their online portal is much improved.

How long did you go between turning the Italian sim on? As you might know, they will reassign numbers, usually after 12 months, but YMMV.
I have the ATT world phone service. For $120 and 80 MB, that just isn't enough. When I use that plane I always have overage, and go back to the USA and get a $400-800 phone bill. I've only been here for 5 days, and I'm already over 800 MB. I can only use ATT for short trips, and even for that, $120 isn't cheap.

The last time I turned on the TIM SIM was 2 months months ago in Venice. It's just strange that pulling my phone number up on my iPhone was not the same # listed on their computer when they put in my TIM account number. I've been in Italy five times in the past year, totaling nearly five months, and that never happened before. I'm thinking that since I spend significant time in both countries and need to stay in touch when I'm here, the only way to do it is to carry two phones.

The only problem is, cheap phones still require a one year service contract. I've never found an easy solution to cell phone service in Italy. I can't come to Italy for a month, put in my TIM SIM, and then have everyone who tries to call me just go straight to voicemail, and miss also almost every text messages because most people address them to my USA phone number.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: CX Gold
My CX flight will arrive in FCO at around 8:00am. Which terminal will it be? And is the TIM store open that early in the morning?

There's a TIM for Visitors simcard being sold online ( https://www.tim.it/tim-visitors-en ). But it says activation will be within 24hrs, does it really take that long to activate the sim card?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:55 am

Depends. It's taken me three days. That was about two years ago. I'm not exactly sure, but this last time I put in a new SIM and received a text telling me to restart the phone, and it worked in 30 minutes. It may be different if you've never had one before. If you're u show up at the store they take copies of your passport, and do security things. My guess is if you try to do something it all online, without a personal appearance, it could be more complicated.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:43 am

I did mine at a store and they made sure it was active for me. I get the sense employees can push activation through, just matters what kind of legendary Italian service you receive. I swapped SIMs in the store and walked out with functioning service. I should add, though, that this is with my current SIM and would have been ~3 years ago now. Not sure what the status of things is today since I've managed to keep this one active.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:48 am

Which terminal will I arrive flying CX? And where is the TIM store in that terminal?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:01 am

You'll have to google your flight info and tell us. I'd guess T3, but you should check. Then check this thread for current info on location.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:41 pm

According to google, my flight will arrive in T3 at around 6:40am. And according to Perche, the TIM store will be landside. But will the store be already open upon my arrival?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
According to google, my flight will arrive in T3 at around 6:40am. And according to Perche, the TIM store will be landside. But will the store be already open upon my arrival?
Supposed to open at 6.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Perche
Supposed to open at 6.
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:25 am

Landed at FCO last week on BA from LHR. After clearing passport control and custom, there was a TIM counter. I purchased a SIM card without problem. Employees said it would take 30 mins to activate. She was right. By time I reached Roma Termini on train the card was active and working. I think I paid 35 Euro not 30.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

A few months ago I re-activated mine at an airside TIM shop in T1.

Is it still there?.

Cheers
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
A few months ago I re-activated mine at an airside TIM shop in T1.

Is it still there?.

Cheers
Yes
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I do not recommend using Project Fi on an unsupported device ...
OK, but what about a *supported* device? I mean, how well does Google Fi work in Italy?

It seems to me that, if you have a supported phone, Google Fi is the ideal solution for anyone who travels with some frequency, as the cost and advertised ease of use (no SIM card to buy! Turn your phone on when you land and it works!) are both ideal. But I'd love to hear the experiences of people who've used it recently in Italy, especially in rural areas (particularly Tuscany).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by snic
OK, but what about a *supported* device? I mean, how well does Google Fi work in Italy?

It seems to me that, if you have a supported phone, Google Fi is the ideal solution for anyone who travels with some frequency, as the cost and advertised ease of use (no SIM card to buy! Turn your phone on when you land and it works!) are both ideal. But I'd love to hear the experiences of people who've used it recently in Italy, especially in rural areas (particularly Tuscany).
I'd suggest doing research on its coverage areas. In the main cities you will do well, but outside of the main cities, I've learned that there is not much coverage I'd do some research into that before committing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.