Day tour: Naples to Pompei / Herculaneum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD

Going to Naples next week. Have been there several times but never seen Pompeii & Herculaneum. I'm looking for a recommendation of an organized group tour of Vesuvius, Pompeii & Herculaneum. Ordinarily I prefer to walk around myself or hire a guide at a location but I think with 3 sites I would prefer a company to bus me from site to site as I'd like to do all 3 in one long day if possible. I'd like a personal recommendation: tour that you've personally used or that has been personally recommended to you as high quality, focused on history and where the guide spoke very good english (often I can't understand the guide's accents). Not looking for a recommendation from a tour book or trip advisor nor for a personal tour which will be costly for one person. I know I can probably get a recommendation from my hotel or Naples tourist info but I'm looking for something personally recommended by FT.

Also, If anyone knows of a free walking tour of Naples I'd be appreciative of a web link. I prefer the free tours where I can give a generous tip if I've enjoyed the experience and can feel comfortable leaving the tour if I don't feel it's worth my time. Been burned on too many paid-tours that haven't panned out. I saw freetoursnetwork online but didn't like their website.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Hard to find an organized tour of the 3 sites in one day, since nobody would ever do Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Pompeii in one day anyway.
My take is this kind of things have to be arranged and tailored on a one-to-one basis.
What I generally do to squeeze together many sightseeing in my trips around the world.

But needless to say I don't feel to suggest you to do such race; I'd rather pick one between Pompeii and Herculaneum and add on something different from the ruins like Vesuvius.

As you said your best bet is inquiring your hotel desk.

Pack light.
In the Paris aftermath large bags are not allowed in Pompeii, and of course lockers have not been set up yet.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Hard to find an organized tour of the 3 sites in one day, since nobody would ever do Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Pompeii in one day anyway.
My take is this kind of things have to be arranged and tailored on a one-to-one basis.
What I generally do to squeeze together many sightseeing in my trips around the world.

But needless to say I don't feel to suggest you to do such race; I'd rather pick one between Pompeii and Herculaneum and add on something different from the ruins like Vesuvius.

As you said your best bet is inquiring your hotel desk.

Pack light.
In the Paris aftermath large bags are not allowed in Pompeii, and of course lockers have not been set up yet.
I'll be taking a day trip from Naples so I won't be packing anything other than water.

Why not do all 3 in one day? Too much to see at each one?

Actually I don't want a recommendation from a hotel. They generally recommend the firm that pays them the most commission. I'm looking for a recommendation from a FT member who has personally taken a tour.

Thanks for your insight.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:59 pm

We were at Vesuvius and Pompeii last month. I can't help with a guide since we didn't use one. As to all three in one day though, I think you'd end up rushing too much. We were reasonably efficient, didn't got lost (a real time killer), weren't the slowest people walking up and down Vesuvius, just grabbed a quick sandwich for lunch at the foodstands at the base of Pompeii, and there were no crowds, and we still were a little rushed at the end of the day as we finished Pompeii. Part of the problem is that it closes at, if I recall, 5:00.

If I had it to do over, I'd see Pompeii and Herculaneum and skip Vesuvius if I had just one day.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:39 pm

All three sites in one day is just tooooooo much! Never been to Vesuvio, but several times to each of the other two. In the summer you'd been risking your life (sun and heat!), in February not. The shortest visit in Pompei, including the Villa dei Misteri, without a guide (which adds a lot of time to the visit) was about 4 hours. Ercolano, even with the small fancy museum, is much smaller and, therefore it might be easier to combine with the Vesuvio.

I recommend splitting it in two, if you can afford it time-wise.

Last edited by KLouis; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Pompeii alone, if properly done, takes a full day.
The site is not small, but of course without a guide you could rush through it.
The point is that in the end you won't have the time to paint in your mind how the life in Pompeii was like, and how the eruption of mount Vesuvius in AD 79 reshaped the paths you'll be walking on.

The walk to the crater of the volcano from the parking area is not long nor particularly difficult. The view on a clear day simply spectacular.
This part of the trip could be ticked off in less than 2 hours.

Bear in mind that this part of Italy has the highest population density in Europe, hence even for short hops road traffic should be considered.
On the positive note the enlargement of the Naples-Salerno highway (A3) improved things a bit.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Ok I hear y'all and I do appreciate your input. Will split it into 2 days. I do have the time and want to do it right. Still, if anyone know of a great group bus tour I'd love your input.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Pompeii Audio Guide

Just to update... I ended up buying the 3 day campania artecard And using the first day to take free train with entrance to Pompeii. A local guide offered her tour services as " winter special" for 80euros. No thanks.

I opted for audio guide. Note, there are 2 audio guides in Pompeii. When you exit the train there is an info booth in the station who rents an audio guide, just 5e . DO NOT take this option. Complete waste of money. Numbering is all wrong, it's very disorganized and if you finally can locate an audio for a location you are viewing on the grounds the audio is short, small amount of info and lots of music. Some people may say it is better than nothing but it is worse than nothing because you waste a huge amount of time trying to make it logistically function. Fortunately I had also brought a book of Pompeii and used that for anything I wanted to learn.

There is also an official audio guide rented near the ticket booth for 6.50e. I don't know it's quality but it can't be as poor an experience as I had. You will need to leave a passport, drivers license or credit card as security.

Beware the audio guide at the train station. the site of Pompei has no details so you do need something in order to learn what you are seeing. But don't choose that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.