Flooding in Venice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flooding in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have heard from friends in Venice that the airport is open and water taxis are operating. Schools, many restaurants, bars and other businesses are closed. Hotels are open. They believe that the city will return to normal within a matter of a few days.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
More flooding is now predicted for Friday. High tide is predicted to be 1.45 meters (about 4'9"), which is less than Tuesday's 1.87 meters (6'2") but is still pretty considerable and not going to help matters.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
More flooding is now predicted for Friday. High tide is predicted to be 1.45 meters (about 4'9"), which is less than Tuesday's 1.87 meters (6'2") but is still pretty considerable and not going to help matters.
Please see Post 98
the luxury hotels of Venice
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
November is usually the worst month. The flooding is less of a problem in areas other than St. Mark’s. You can purchase inexpensive plastic boots and use the table walking platforms in the worst areas. I wouldn’t cancel your plans. I’ve been there several times during the high water and the work arounds are not impossible.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The mayor of Venice expressed concerns about the health risks that this kind of flooding can cause. When will the places in Venice shut down for such reason be re-opened?

Apparently the lagoon-dredging means the flood waters are saltier than than they would otherwise be and that means increased risk of worse damage to architectural structures. Will buildings be closed down longer for damage and structural integrity assessments after this round of unusually high flooding levels? The increased saltiness also doesn’t do any favors to murals/frescoes/paintings.

Rising sea-levels put coastal/island living at greater risk. At least Venice and Italy still have the resources to manage for such kind of situations (without creating huge and lasting flows of refugees, domestically-displaced or otherwise), but how long until it’s all back to situation normal for all residents and tourists in Venice?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Fly fishing boots https://www.orvis.com/p/barbour-bede...ton-boots/2zjm

Chicken factory worker boots https://www.thecuresafety.com/Boots_s/282.htm

The factory worker boots are a bit cheaper. The white ones are used in the poultry processing industry.

I would definitely go and not change your plans.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:02 pm

I continue to receive texts and videos from my Venetian friends. Life does appear to be back to normal. I'll be there in a week and will report back. Am not concerned at all.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:53 pm

Please do report back. We're set to go in 2 weeks, and we're hoping it will be manageable. I'm not above wearing wellies if that's what it takes.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Please do report back. We're set to go in 2 weeks, and we're hoping it will be manageable. I'm not above wearing wellies if that's what it takes.
I promise to report back. I am not minimizing the seriousness of this flooding, but bear in mind that the most dramatic videos and photographs focus on Piazza St Marco, the lowest and most vulnerable area of Venice. If anyone else has any concerns, please post here. Happy to give you daily updates, including restaurant, shopping, walking and transportation info. Am there Thanksgiving week.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I fly in Saturday for a Sunday cruise departure. Hoping that the Hilton Molino isnt too badly affected; thats our stay. Anyone with an update as to how things are going? Will report what we see when we get there.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Nothing to see here folks; this is a perfectly expected and long lasting natural phenomenon, happening since the dawn of time, to the point in the italian language one of the many saying referring to some obviousness is "acqua alta a Venezia".

Now since we live in a time where everything gotta be twisted for a political agenda, notably the environmentalism bullcrap, this is a greater news it deserves.

Move on.
KLouis likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:19 pm

The NYT today posted an article advising people not to travel to Venice during November & December, but if you do, to bring hip waders. Can anyone comment on whether hip waders are needed? Again, we have wellies, just wasn't sure whether hip waders were essential. The NYT makes it seem like we will be in hip deep water full of raw sewage if we don't.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
The NYT today posted an article advising people not to travel to Venice during November & December, but if you do, to bring hip waders. Can anyone comment on whether hip waders are needed? Again, we have wellies, just wasn't sure whether hip waders were essential. The NYT makes it seem like we will be in hip deep water full of raw sewage if we don't.
I have survived many floods in Venice and have never had the need for hip waders. Wellies are perfectly adequate. Don't forget that there are wooden platforms all around the city which the govt puts all around at the first indication of a flood.
From the NYT article cited:
"But if you happen to get stuck in St. Mark’s in the midst of an acqua alta, sit down in a cafe and remember it will go away in a few hours."
KLouis and Forrest Bump like this.

Last edited by obscure2k; Nov 21, 2019 at 5:06 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've been in St Marks during high tide when it got flooded. And courtesy of the raised platforms I have always been able to walk from there back to the Danieli without soaking my sneakers in the flood waters. I'm not there very often, but the times when I've been and see high waters I've been fine for that limited walk to get back to my room from there without any knee-high rubbers.

Would that have been impossible during the worst of the flood days this year for that limited stretch?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Headed to Venice Dec 11th, have the waters fallen or should I expect to get wet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.