Visit Pisa or Naples (from Rome)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visit Pisa or Naples (from Rome)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Question Visit Pisa or Naples (from Rome)?

Looking for advice...

Traveling to Italy (FCO) with eight nights "on the ground".
Arriving in late August.

We were in Tuscany (Florence, Siena,etc) last year for six nights, but did not get to Pisa.

Thinking about heading to Pisa or Naples for two nights.
This would leave us 5.5 days in Rome.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
(Transportation costs/time are not an issue.)

THANKS
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Billiken
Looking for advice...

Traveling to Italy (FCO) with eight nights "on the ground".
Arriving in late August.

We were in Tuscany (Florence, Siena,etc) last year for six nights, but did not get to Pisa.

Thinking about heading to Pisa or Naples for two nights.
This would leave us 5.5 days in Rome.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
(Transportation costs/time are not an issue.)

THANKS
Much more to see and do in Naples. If you've been to Tuscany, the town of Pisa is nice but just another Tuscan town with the River Arno running through it, like Florence but on a much lesser scale. It's not going to add much to what you've experienced in Tuscany. Naples is a completely different experience.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Perche
Much more to see and do in Naples. If you've been to Tuscany, the town of Pisa is nice but just another Tuscan town with the River Arno running through it, like Florence but on a much lesser scale. It's not going to add much to what you've experienced in Tuscany. Naples is a completely different experience.
I agree 100%. And I add Pompei, Ercolano, the islands, la costiera amalfitana, and so much more (e.g. pizza, seafood, etc.).
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Perche and KLouis:

Grazie!!

Naples it is.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA / DL / MB
Billiken - Def Naples instead of Pisa.

Are you departing from FCO as well? If leaving out of Naples I would consider a night or two on the Amalfi Coast, especially if you're renting a car for the drive down to Napoli. Training it will limit your mobility options but if you plan on doing Rome and Naples solo that would be your best bet. But if you're renting a car there's so many options it's silly!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:51 am

I'd visit Naples over Pisa if you've already seen a lot of Tuscany. I don't want to get myself punched here, but Pisa is kind of overrated. And not just because the tower is the main attraction - there are lots of nicer, lesser known things to see, especially churches. But probably not enough for me to make it an out of my way destination. I'd spend a day or two in Pisa once, and then subsequent only if I have to transit through Pisa for some other reason (like flying into PSA).

Naples will be different than what you've already seen if your travel has been mostly to Central and Northern Italy. Plus, given that it's August, you have a better chance in a larger city of not having everything closed due to vacations. Travel to Italy in August can be tricky due to le ferie. Many people and places shut down for 2-4 weeks.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'd visit Naples over Pisa if you've already seen a lot of Tuscany. I don't want to get myself punched here, but Pisa is kind of overrated. And not just because the tower is the main attraction - there are lots of nicer, lesser known things to see, especially churches. But probably not enough for me to make it an out of my way destination. I'd spend a day or two in Pisa once, and then subsequent only if I have to transit through Pisa for some other reason (like flying into PSA).

Naples will be different than what you've already seen if your travel has been mostly to Central and Northern Italy. Plus, given that it's August, you have a better chance in a larger city of not having everything closed due to vacations. Travel to Italy in August can be tricky due to le ferie. Many people and places shut down for 2-4 weeks.
Agree 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.