A Few Days in Milan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Few Days in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:49 pm

got in on that great deal a few weeks back,

Were going to get into Milan in the morning and then head to Parma right away, and then bologna where we will stay the night, then headed to Florence for a night and then off to Venice for a few nights before ending our trip back in Milan for a night before headed back to MXP.

Anyone else think were going to regret all of these stops? haha
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Lugano is quite lovely for an afternoon, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it as a place for a visit (I go there regularly). A walk along the lake and a brief stroll around town could kill a few hours.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by combiblock
Is opera a must? is it like a broadway production but in italian language? if I were to go to youtube and look for one, any link to recommend to get the "feel"?

Hi,

Opera performances in most international-level houses are usually performed in the original language that the creators used. So an opera like the 'Troyens' mentioned a few posts above is done in French, 'Peter Grimes' in English, 'Lohengrin' in German, and so forth.

There are some similarities in the staging and use of "spectacle" on the stage, but the main difference is that singers in Broadway musicals are heavily miked, while opera singers are not amplified at all. Also, the Broadway orchestras are very small and there is some use of taped music, while the opera orchestra is full-sized,with the opera conductor having a much bigger role in how the whole thing comes together.

Some YouTube links:

The 'Troyens' (this Youtube was from London where the same production as LaScala was done):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_bFvrZiLY

This clip (finale of Rossini's Il Viaggio a Reims) shows some excellent exterior and interior images of LaScala, and shows somehumor - opera is not just heavy tragedy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVrTSEBWXk
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by latteqpon

Were going to get into Milan in the morning and then head to Parma right away, and then bologna where we will stay the night, then headed to Florence for a night and then off to Venice for a few nights before ending our trip back in Milan for a night before headed back to MXP. Anyone else think were going to regret all of these stops? haha
Not so much regret, but IMO it would be so much more rewarding if you bypassed Venice altogether (a good excuse to return in the future) and did your Parma - Bologna - Florence triangle. This allows a chance to experience art and history and the best food in Italy, and also the countryside, at a less-than-hectic pace. Return to Milanon your last full day and visit the Last Supper and the Duomo, then out to MXP to return the car and have your final night at leisure. (I also think it's smart to limit your driving on your arrival day).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Not so much regret, but IMO it would be so much more rewarding if you bypassed Venice altogether (a good excuse to return in the future) and did your Parma - Bologna - Florence triangle. This allows a chance to experience art and history and the best food in Italy, and also the countryside, at a less-than-hectic pace. Return to Milanon your last full day and visit the Last Supper and the Duomo, then out to MXP to return the car and have your final night at leisure. (I also think it's smart to limit your driving on your arrival day).
This is a matter of opinion. Parma is a small one afternoon stroll of a town, with a river that runs through it that is almost always dry. For a quick tour of Italy Parma is not on most people's top ten or fifteen list. Along with its adjacent city Reggio-Emiglia, it is at most a half-day trip, except for people who have already experienced a lot of Italy.

Florence is also a matter of opinion. It is spectacular for museums with Renaissance art. For sightseeing, not so much. You can walk along the River Arno and see the Ponte Vecchio. Of course, there is infinitely more to do. But if you only have a few days, you may want to concentrate on the, "knock your socks off," sites, and not on places that are worth seeking out only after you've seen the major sites.

In my opinion, the Parma, Bologna, Florence triangle is nowhere near as mystically beautiful as Venice, which is a city like no other. Serene, romantic, no cars, no smog, no noise except for boats. I wouldn't recommend dropping three days in Venice just to see Parma or Bologna, or even to spend more than a day in Florence.

Each area of Italy has its own food fans. The area around Bologna, Modena, Parma, is flat. They could not grow olive trees, hence, they have no olive oil. The only fat they have had for cooking is beef lard and pork lard. The food in these three cities and is this area of Italy is delicious to some because they like heavy beef and lard laden food. That's a matter of taste. It is not generally accepted that florentine or bolognese is the best way to experience food in Italy.

In Liguria, Venice, Naples, etc., there are other sources of oil, mainly olive oil, and the cooking is based on it. Meals are based on seafood and olive oil rather than lard, beef, and pork. Some people prefer that.

Italy offers a lot of choice. If you've been to Italy many times, it is great to explore those three towns in the triangle. But for a brief itinerary, I don't think someone should drop Venice to see those similar cities.

Nowhere in the world Prepares you for Venezia. You can just walk around and everywhere you turn, every church you enter, every alley you walk into, is full of beauty. And if you like seafood, it's pretty hard to beat, as long as you stay away from Piazza San Marco, Ponte Rialto, and any other touristy area.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by Perche; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Hi,

Opera performances in most international-level houses are usually performed in the original language that the creators used. So an opera like the 'Troyens' mentioned a few posts above is done in French, 'Peter Grimes' in English, 'Lohengrin' in German, and so forth.

There are some similarities in the staging and use of "spectacle" on the stage, but the main difference is that singers in Broadway musicals are heavily miked, while opera singers are not amplified at all. Also, the Broadway orchestras are very small and there is some use of taped music, while the opera orchestra is full-sized,with the opera conductor having a much bigger role in how the whole thing comes together.

Some YouTube links:

The 'Troyens' (this Youtube was from London where the same production as LaScala was done):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_bFvrZiLY

This clip (finale of Rossini's Il Viaggio a Reims) shows some excellent exterior and interior images of LaScala, and shows somehumor - opera is not just heavy tragedy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVrTSEBWXk

Thanks Non-Rev ^^
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by latteqpon

Were going to get into Milan in the morning and then head to Parma right away, and then bologna where we will stay the night, then headed to Florence for a night and then off to Venice for a few nights before ending our trip back in Milan for a night before headed back to MXP.

Anyone else think were going to regret all of these stops? haha
whats on those stops? food/arts/buildings?

thanks Perche, defntly going to visit Venice.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I found fairly good car rental rates at Sixt through this link:

http://www.sixt.com/php/reservation/...udgettravel_US

Around $220/week for economy car, including some insurance.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I found fairly good car rental rates at Sixt through this link:

http://www.sixt.com/php/reservation/...udgettravel_US

Around $220/week for economy car, including some insurance.

Cheers,

Doc
Doc,
1stly im sorry about the Packers, 2nd thanks for that.... i have read advices against renting a car.

im planning to go to como(varenna), venice from milan. is that advisable or train makes much more sense?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by combiblock
Doc,
1stly im sorry about the Packers, 2nd thanks for that.... i have read advices against renting a car.

im planning to go to como(varenna), venice from milan. is that advisable or train makes much more sense?
I'm actually a much more staunch 49ers fan, so am pretty happy.

I'm not sure if I will actually pick up the car or just use trains, but was able to reserve the car without payment, and can decide later. Trains reportedly work extremely well, and one way to Venice from Milan cost something like $80 per person, if I remember right.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:18 pm

If I had only 3 Full days (ive allocated other days to other places)

and have to divide them between Varenna and Venice, as a first timer, Is it better to give Venice 2 days and Varenna 1 day?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:41 pm

Going to Milan February 14-21st w husband and 2 kids, 11 and 13. I planned to rent an apartment for the week ($1k for 2 BRs for 6 nights) and do day trips from Milan such as Turin, Parma, Switzerland. After reading all of the above posts I'm afraid we will be bored just doing these small trips.

Usually when we go away we switch hotels every few days but that's when we are in the US and have a car. It's the first time in Europe for my husband and kids and my first time doing the planning on my own for Europe in a non English speaking country. I didn't want to Have to drag suitcases all around Italy and worry about train schedules as well as wasting time on trains. This time we are content staying put in one place but my 13 yo is already complaining that we won't see anything famous.

Any suggestions/feedback appreciated. Is anyone interested in a meetup in Milan?

Thanks for your help, I never thought to come to FT for destination advice as I always relied on tripadvisor.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:15 pm

Smile advice from Italy

Originally Posted by Kadence
Going to Milan February 14-21st w husband and 2 kids, 11 and 13. I planned to rent an apartment for the week ($1k for 2 BRs for 6 nights) and do day trips from Milan such as Turin, Parma, Switzerland. After reading all of the above posts I'm afraid we will be bored just doing these small trips.

Usually when we go away we switch hotels every few days but that's when we are in the US and have a car. It's the first time in Europe for my husband and kids and my first time doing the planning on my own for Europe in a non English speaking country. I didn't want to Have to drag suitcases all around Italy and worry about train schedules as well as wasting time on trains. This time we are content staying put in one place but my 13 yo is already complaining that we won't see anything famous.

Any suggestions/feedback appreciated. Is anyone interested in a meetup in Milan?

Thanks for your help, I never thought to come to FT for destination advice as I always relied on tripadvisor.
Hi, I am Italian and live few km from Milan. Your intention to have Milan as a departure base for day trips around could be not so comfortable as imagined. Being obliged to be back at night would leave you very short time to visit any place.
Turin is a wonderful town, at least 2 days to visit a little (the center, Egyptian musuem - the 2nd biggest in the world - Superga Church, the Mole Antonelliana, Museum of Cinema, Palazzo Reale, Valentino Park, Museum of Automobile, etc...)
Milan is not as nice and 1,5 days could be enough (places already informed by firends).
I also would suggest minor towns but full of things to visit, much more interesting than Parma (Padova, Ferrara, Mantova).
Obviously Venice is a must, takes at least 2 days.
IMO you should better get a car on rent and move amongst these towns (or some of them). Also small hotels would not be too expensive (expecially if booked on some cheap sites as booking, hotles.com, etc.)

I am sure this is the way you can enjoy at the most your short time and have a more "involving" experience.

In any case, have a nice time in Italy.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am on a Wideroe fare and have two full days on the ground. I've "done" ( Milan already (I don't believe it deserves the bum rap it receives) and want to experience something else nearby. I've selected a few of your choices and would appreciate anyone to chime in with a bit more info. Right now, Turin is tops on the list. Question: is it better to drive or take the train to Turin from MXP. For the train, I'd have to go to Milan and then backtrack west to Turin (correct?). And then figuring out which train station and how to get there has been let's just say, not too much fun . Driving seems to be about 1.5H - correct? And it is a toll road(?). How is parking in Turin? Hotel suggestions or just use cash/points at a chain? There seems to be a BW or multiple HIs.

What minor towns would you suggest? I am open to all things but I don't want to drive too far; I don't want to be driving at 5 AM on my day of return to get to MXP.

I will take your advice and I will have a nice time in Italy

Cheers -

Originally Posted by aiace
Hi, I am Italian and live few km from Milan. ...

Turin is a wonderful town, at least 2 days to visit a little (the center, Egyptian musuem - the 2nd biggest in the world - Superga Church, the Mole Antonelliana, Museum of Cinema, Palazzo Reale, Valentino Park, Museum of Automobile, etc...)
I also would suggest minor towns but full of things to visit, much more interesting than Parma (Padova, Ferrara, Mantova).

In any case, have a nice time in Italy.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Question: is it better to drive or take the train to Turin from MXP. For the train, I'd have to go to Milan and then backtrack west to Turin (correct?). And then figuring out which train station and how to get there has been let's just say, not too much fun .
More broadly, has anyone written (or found online) a good summary of intercity rail service to/from Milan? I get that there are several stations, but it's more than a bit confusing when the whole TrenItalia vs. TreNord thing is added on top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.