Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making airline connections at Rome Airport :(

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What if the flight arrives on time, but passport control is backlogged and I miss my connection. Will Alitalia just put me on the next flight (assuming their is space)?
They'll transfer you onto the next flight. You should not have to pay anything.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Palal
If you misconnect, worst case scenario, you'll take the later flight 3h55m later. I'd book the earlier flight.
Thanks, that's what I decided to do. I hope I make it though!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Flying ATL - FCO - ATH and Delta and Alitalia. The question is, will I go through customs/immigration at FCO or ATH? I've got a 50 minute connection.

The booking agent said its a legal connection and that customs/immigration would be in ATH. But isn't FCO to ATH considered an EU Domestic flight?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Flying ATL - FCO - ATH and Delta and Alitalia. The question is, will I go through customs/immigration at FCO or ATH? I've got a 50 minute connection.

The booking agent said its a legal connection and that customs/immigration would be in ATH. But isn't FCO to ATH considered an EU Domestic flight?
Your booking agent is absolutely wrong as far as customs/immigration is concerned (although you don't have to bother at all about customs, you'll see your bag again at the carousel in ATH - or not ). As for the legal connection, this is really a very short connection time. Even if your incoming flight is on time, you'll have to run from the immigration check at T3 to your gate in T1. Make sure to follow the signs for connecting flights, otherwise you'll have to go again through security inspection, which you won't have to if you stay airside. Good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by blue2007
Hi guys,

Flying from ATH to FCO - ORD, one ticket is on Aegan from Athens and the second is separate on UA from FCO-ORD. I have a connection time of 45 minutes and both flights are in Terminal 3.

Do I need to clear any customs? Is 45 minutes enough time if I don't have to clear customs?

Thanks
I don’t think you’ve made a wise decision in booking a self connection, on two separate tickets, on two different airlines.

as far as I’m aware you’ll land from Athens in Terminal 1, potentially at a remote stand, and you’ll depart from T3. There will be an immigration check (nowadays a simple e-gate) and a security check. Additionally all departures to “sensitive” areas such as the US leave from the remotest sub-terminal in the E gates zone of T3, which means you’ll have to take a train to get there. I don’t think airlines sell 45’ connections in Rome for an intercontinental journey.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:01 am

His flight from Athens (if docking and not bussing-most probable scenario) will be at a D gate, ~5 minutes walk to the e-(passport) gates. and not T1. Other than that, I fully agree with you.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
His flight from Athens (if docking and not bussing-most probable scenario) will be at a D gate, ~5 minutes walk to the e-(passport) gates. and not T1. Other than that, I fully agree with you.
Well, I checked (albeit quickly) AdR’s airport and it mentioned T1. For instance, today’s flight A3 655 is departing from Gate C13 as per the airport’s website. I must admit my experience is mainly of T3 and of the new wing...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:47 am

Did they move all *A flights from the D gates? No! C gates are bus gates for departure only; one of the rather rare occasions this happens to Aegean flight. Arriving passengers are bussed to the "central" luggage retrieval area and they use a shortcut to go up to passport control on their way to a non-Schengen flight. This still takes longer than docking at a gate and I still think that blue2007 should fly to Rome the day before his TATL if he wants to be certain he'll not miss it.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:06 pm

The terminal designations T1 and T3 really refer to the check-in and baggage claim areas; you can see an aerial view of the complex at Mappe negozi - Shopping - Fiumicino - Adr.it - Aeroporti di Roma , and the D gates could be considered to belong equally to T1 and T3. I think they have flights that check in at both.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:58 pm

Yes, things do change at FCO, and *A companies have recently moved their checkin operations to T1, previously reserved for AZ and Skyteam. Since I haven't flown into FCO recently I don't really know whether they've also moved the arrival into the basement of T1 or whether they keep T3 when bussed. I must confess that, as a Greek, I'm used to this unique consistent feature of living in a Mediterranean country: everything is inconsistent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.