FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Making airline connections at Rome Airport :( (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1466539-making-airline-connections-rome-airport.html)

anamo May 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Making airline connections at Rome Airport :(

I have a rather unique question that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm flying from the US through Rome to Africa and my connection is only 55 minutes. Because I had an experience at this very airport where I missed a connecting flight, I'm a little worried.

I know that more likely than not, I will have to go take a bus to the terminal from the plane and then go through security. However, I was curious if I had to go through any sort of customs/immigration line because it's two intercontinental flights.

And do you know if I would have to wait for checked luggage or if it would transfer automatically to my final destination?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want a repeat of last time at FCO.

bdemaria May 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by anamo (Post 20740631)
I have a rather unique question that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm flying from the US through Rome to Africa and my connection is only 55 minutes. Because I had an experience at this very airport where I missed a connecting flight, I'm a little worried.

I know that more likely than not, I will have to go take a bus to the terminal from the plane and then go through security. However, I was curious if I had to go through any sort of customs/immigration line because it's two intercontinental flights.

And do you know if I would have to wait for checked luggage or if it would transfer automatically to my final destination?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want a repeat of last time at FCO.

I'd worry about any 55 minute connection from a TATL at FCO.

It would help if you provided the names of the airlines. For example, the issues of bags relates as much to whether or not the carriers have an interline agreement. If you can't check the bags all the way through, there is no way you'll make the connection.

slawecki May 13, 2013 6:51 am

is that a legal transfer time? or a do it yourself? i have not been through fco in many years, but i have been through a cdg,mxp, lhr, fra, muc and a bunch of smalls in the past year or so. the smalls are easy, but getting through the big airports in 55min is a non starter. the risk is too high.

Hawk Circle May 13, 2013 10:24 am

Fifty-five minutes is very tight for a transfer at FCO. As mentioned, you need to find out if your carriers have an interline agreement for baggage transfer. And even if they do, the tight connection might mean your bag won't make it. I'd go with a carry-on if possible.

I'd also try to find out if your inbound flight normally parks at a remote stand, requiring a bus ride to the terminal. That process is slow and easily could make you miss your connection.

If your inbound does go to a terminal, try to get a seat near the door for quick exit and a quicker trip through security.

Palal May 21, 2013 10:41 am

If this is on two tickets, then you're unlikely to make it. If it's all on one ticket, it'll be tight, but doable. You'll fly into FCO, follow the signs to connections, go through security and to your next gate. Make sure to get all of your BPs in the US, otherwise things will be more complicated.

If this is all one ticket, no need to pick up and re-check bags.

Alice11 May 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I know that more likely than not, I will have to go take a bus to the terminal from the plane

That is not a standard. It may happen, but with flights from the Us is unlikely.

and then go through security.

Yes

FCO is not like US airports where you have to collect your luggage, clear customs and then drop off the luggage again. If the airlines have an interline agreement, they can check the luggage through your final destination. It's really up to the airlines (based on your itinerary and so), not to the airport.
55' is theoretically something you can manage but like for any transit with 55' you don't have spare time: flight delays, additional security screens or whatever. You can make it, but it's a high-risk transit.

rzsionak May 27, 2013 7:54 pm

You'll have to clear security as soon as you land which can easily be 15-20 mins depending on how many other flights arrive at the same time. Luckily you'll likely be in terminal 3 which should be a short walk to your Africa flight. A bigger worry would be your bags getting transferred in time as FCO is notorious for poor baggage handling.

You'll only need to go through customs/immigration if you actually leave terminal 3 as it's a sterile area for non-EU flights.

powerful pete Jun 3, 2013 7:19 am

And all this is assuming that all is perfect and that there will NO delay on your TATL? I am another optimistic about your chances to make it.

rangercarol Aug 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Connections in Rome airport

I am so confused. We will be flying into Rome from Atlanta on Delta and then transferring to an Alitalia flight to Milan.

I have been told that we will arrive at terminal 5 but then I saw that terminal 5 is for departures only and that we will arrive at terminal 3.

Luggage will be ticketed all the way through but we have only 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights. Will that be enough to clear customs and immigration?

Thanks,
rangercarol

bdemaria Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by rangercarol (Post 21307902)
I am so confused. We will be flying into Rome from Atlanta on Delta and then transferring to an Alitalia flight to Milan.

I have been told that we will arrive at terminal 5 but then I saw that terminal 5 is for departures only and that we will arrive at terminal 3.

Luggage will be ticketed all the way through but we have only 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights. Will that be enough to clear customs and immigration?

Thanks,
rangercarol

You are correct that you will land at T3, not T5. 1 hr & 20 minutes should be fine. The good news: in the event you misconnect, there are regular flights from FCO to Milan - so you won't be stuck for too long.

FlyingHoustonian Aug 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 21308127)
You are correct that you will land at T3, not T5. 1 hr & 20 minutes should be fine. The good news: in the event you misconnect, there are regular flights from FCO to Milan - so you won't be stuck for too long.

yeah, you will be fine. If your inbound is late plenty of options after to Milano.
I'd be more worried about the luggage making it LOL ;-)

TravelinSperry Aug 22, 2013 3:05 am

Hmmmmm. You have all given me food for thought.

I was just about to book a flight on Alitalia (from Istanbul, through FCO and then on to Bari). My luggage would be checked through, but the layover is only 1 hr 5 min. Do you think I'd make it through customs and then on to my gate in time since my luggage is checked through? I believe I arrive Terminal 3 and then depart Terminal 1.

There is a later option where I can have a 3hr 55 min layover. Hate to waste all this time, but being stressed is no fun either. Thoughts?

bdemaria Aug 22, 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 21315500)
Hmmmmm. You have all given me food for thought.

I was just about to book a flight on Alitalia (from Istanbul, through FCO and then on to Bari). My luggage would be checked through, but the layover is only 1 hr 5 min. Do you think I'd make it through customs and then on to my gate in time since my luggage is checked through? I believe I arrive Terminal 3 and then depart Terminal 1.

There is a later option where I can have a 3hr 55 min layover. Hate to waste all this time, but being stressed is no fun either. Thoughts?

You'll be traveling from a non-schengen location and thus you will have to go through passport control. 65 minutes is tight but you can probably make it (a) if your flight is on time and (b) the line at passport control. If your flight lands in the am, about the time as the TATL flights from the US, then you probably wont make it.

Palal Aug 22, 2013 8:35 am

If you misconnect, worst case scenario, you'll take the later flight 3h55m later. I'd book the earlier flight.

TravelinSperry Aug 22, 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 21316210)
You'll be traveling from a non-schengen location and thus you will have to go through passport control. 65 minutes is tight but you can probably make it (a) if your flight is on time and (b) the line at passport control. If your flight lands in the am, about the time as the TATL flights from the US, then you probably wont make it.

Agreed, that was my worry. I arrive in the afternoon, however, not AM. I've been to FCO before and it's terrible. Thus my fear.

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 21316612)
If you misconnect, worst case scenario, you'll take the later flight 3h55m later. I'd book the earlier flight.

I thought this too, however, how is Alitalia with these sorts of connections? What if the flight arrives on time, but passport control is backlogged and I miss my connection. Will Alitalia just put me on the next flight (assuming their is space)? I've heard stories they aren't the friendliest airline. Is it possible they'd say they were on time, so it's not their problem, and ask me to pay for a later flight?

Also, if that one if full, then do I move to the next one? There are 3 more flights that eve to Bari, I'd imagine I'd make one of them (assuming Alitalia let's you do this sort of thing).