Reload this Page >

Rome layover thread (under 24 hours)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Your time to enjoy Rome will be governed by your transportation situation as well as how many hours you have and what time of day.

FCO / Leonardo da Vinci International Airport at Fiumicino is 21 mi / 35 km southwest of Rome itself.

Bus: COTRAL to Tiburtina railroad station with stop at Piazza dei Cinquecento near Termini. Pay driver €7 per pax, also night service 0115, -215, 0330 and 0500. Also night service to Lepanto Metro Line A, bus station and Magliana.

Train: Leonardo Exprress to Termini (main Rome railroad station, Track 24) every 30 min 0637 - 23:37, 30-35 minutes, €14.30 pp. (Follow Treni signs). Also non-express to Fara-Sabina Orte., stopping at all stations (Trastevere, Ostiense, Tuscolana, Tiburtina, etc. every 15 - 20 mins (30 on holidays), €8, about 45 min. www.ferroviedellostato.it

Taxi: €45 to central area (within Aurelian Walls), €55 others. Surcharges for night and Sunday (€4 and €1 respectively). 45-60 minutes. If nlt going to a fixed price destination, insist your driver uses the meter (and only use a white, licensed taxi).

Shuttle: Terravision Shuttle to Termini (main Rome rail station) and Tiburtina, every 30 min 0600 - midnight , €11 ow, €18 r/t, 2-12 €5; Rome Airport Shuttle €16 per pax in vans. Schiaffini connects FCO and CIA €10, 45 min nonstop.

Limo / Sedan: €60-70.

Auto rental: Lots but you do not want to drive in Rome; traffic, lane restrictions, lack of familiarity and parking make it a touch stressful.

FCO web page with transport information.

CIA Rome Ciampino International Airport is 8 mi / 13 km southeast of Rome.

Taxi: €35-40 to central Rome, half hour, add €5 most other Riome city areas.

Shuttle: Terravision Shuttle to Termini, 30-40 min, €; Rome Airport Shuttle
€16. Schiaffini connects FCO and CIA €10, 45 min nonstop.

Bus: €2 COTRAL to Anagnina meteo to connect to Termini.

Civitavecchia Cruise Port:

Limo / car or taxi: €120-130 two passengers.

Train: Frecciabianca express to Termini, 30 min. Locals to Termini, Ostiense and Trastevere. The Treni station is about 600 meters from the cruise port entrance; shuttle busses transport between your ship and the entrance.

Information from sources including Salk Airport Transit Guide - app $4.99 world airports.
Print Wikipost

Rome layover thread (under 24 hours)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

6 hour layover in Rome?

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster! My wife and I will be heading to Madrid this week, but have a 6 hour layover at FCO from 8AM-2PM. Granted, this time will be shorter because this is when the flights actually arrive/depart. Is this enough time to head into Rome to do a quick tourist stop? Or will we be cutting it to short? Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by JDiver; May 23, 2014 at 10:49 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I certainly wouldn't risk going to/from FCO to Rome in that time. *If* your flight arrives on time, you might consider catching cab and going to Ostia - ancient ruins which are quite close to FCO.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about being ambitious because the layover was not an insignificant amount of time, but I guess it's probably cutting it too close. Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
FCO layover

It depends on how much you travel, and how much you want to spend. If you don't get to Europe often and can't imagine when you might get another chance, you and your wife may decide to take a cab to the Coliseum just to view it and then walk a few blocks to see the Forum, and then take a cab back to the airport, is worth it. It will cost you about 90 Euros, but it's a choice you have. Or, some may find that the 90 Euros is worth spending in order to take a cab to and from the Vatican to see St. Peter's Cathedral. An hour to get out of the airport and two hours to check in (you'll already have your boarding passes) would enable you to do a one site only, "been there" side trip. It only makes sense by cab, and it has to be worth you spending that much money. That's for you to decide.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Hm that also is very helpful info. Luckily, we will probably go back to Italy at some point on another vacation, or I can better plan the layovers (this one was a bit limited because it was on the mistake Alitalia airfare and the options weren't great), and at that time, we can spend more time enjoying the sites as opposed to a rushed visit. Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond
6 hour layover in Rome?

What'd you end up doing? I'm looking at 8a-5p stop from a cruise. Ideally would like to do both Vatican / Sistine Chapel and coliseum / pathenon. Seems like it'll be hard to get all that in there but any thoughts?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:28 pm

You could try a booking a VIP transfer tour with Rome Cabs. Stefano is great to work with.
http://www.romecabs.com/vip-transfers/
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveller1983
What'd you end up doing? I'm looking at 8a-5p stop from a cruise. Ideally would like to do both Vatican / Sistine Chapel and coliseum / pathenon. Seems like it'll be hard to get all that in there but any thoughts?
If you are coming from a cruise, then are you departing Civitavecchia? If so, then the travel time to central Rome is about twice what it is from the airport, so you are really looking at best 5 hrs in the city. You can probably do the Pantheon/Coliseum/Forum area in that time - but the Vatican/Sistine would be pushing it. It is located on the other side of town (so add another 20 - 30 minutes travel time) and even w/an advanced reservation/tour its another 20 minutes or so walking time once inside the museums to actually reach the Sistine.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:55 pm

Did this work for anyone? I'm thinking about flying into Rome for a day (arrive 10:30 depart 9pm) to go to the coliseum and the sistine chapel and am wondering if it is doable.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rookie3
Did this work for anyone? I'm thinking about flying into Rome for a day (arrive 10:30 depart 9pm) to go to the coliseum and the sistine chapel and am wondering if it is doable.
In that amount of time you could certainly hit the Colisseum/Forum but the Sistine could be tough as its the opposite side of town, and - even if one has a reserved entrance time - its quite a long walk to get to the chapel itself.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i'll have an 8 hour layover at FCO on a wednesday (1330-2130). i'd like to see as many worthwhile things as possible and stick to cheap (public) transport. food (i'm a pescetarian) at an authentic local hotspot that any of you could recommend would be tremendous.

if anyone has suggestions i would greatly appreciate them!
Old May 23, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'll have an 8 hour layover at FCO on a wednesday (1330-2130). i'd like to see as many worthwhile things as possible and stick to cheap (public) transport. food (i'm a pescetarian) at an authentic local hotspot that any of you could recommend would be tremendous.

if anyone has suggestions i would greatly appreciate them!
I don't think you have time to see as many worthwhile things as possible. You only have enough time than to see one major thing, and to eat. If you have no luggage, figure about an hour and a half to get from FCO to the downtown train station (Termini) via Leonardo Express.

The Coliseum and the Forum are close together, and fairly close to the Termini. If you are a good walker you can walk from Termini and see the Coliseum/Forum in about two very rushed hours, or three hours slightly more casually. That's already 3.5-4 hours.

As far as food, unfortunately the Coliseum puts you in a prime tourist area. People sometimes think that you can just drop into any place in Italy and eat a delicious meal. That is absolutely false. Restaurants in italian tourist areas couldn't care less about their food. They know that tomorrow the customer will be in another city or continent. They cut lasagna or pizza off of a frozen block, microwave it and serve it to you (Tourists used to Olive Garden, etc, tend to drool over it anyway).

Also restaurants in Italy, outside of the touristy places, close at 3PM. In my opinion it may be worth investing in a cab in order to eat a decent meal, given your flight times, which give you a very narrow window for decent food.

Near Termini, since you are pescatarian (as am I), see if you can make it to Tempio di lside before they close at 3. It's only a few blocks away. Superb italian seafood, yet not a budget breaker. You will never forget it. http://www.isideristorante.it

Considering that you then have to get back to Termini, take the Leonardo Express back to FCO, clear security, etc, which is about 3 hours minimum, you don't have time to see, "as many worthwhile things as possible." You barely have time to see the Coliseum/Forum, eat, and get back to the airport.

Last edited by Perche; May 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Old May 23, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mromalley
You could try a booking a VIP transfer tour with Rome Cabs. Stefano is great to work with.
http://www.romecabs.com/vip-transfers/
I've used Rome Cabs (21 May Civitavecchia to FCO) and can vouch for them. You can prepay with PayPal or pay cash (but book first).

I've also used Filippo Biasini - he has a livery licence (can use taxi and bus lanes and stops), has an awesome knowledge of Rome and you can do a lot of sightseeing with his services (he also knows how to time your arrival so it's not at peak hours, etc.) (Hint: you can save money using Filippo for a small group or family and his van over a cruise tour, or even a cruise transfer with sightseeing.)
Old May 23, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Perche
Near Termini, since you are pescatarian (as am I), see if you can make it to Tempio di lside before they close at 3. It's only a few blocks away. Superb italian seafood, yet not a budget breaker. You will never forget it. http://www.isideristorante.it
this reply was exactly what i was looking for - thank you. i haven't been to rome, but my cousin spent a semester there and described the restaurants in tourist areas exactly as you did.

tempio di iside looks phenomenal - i'll probably have lunch there, walk around for a little bit until i get depressed over how poor my italian is, get back to the airport and consider the layover to be a complete success.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:46 pm

19 hour layover

So happy I found this thread. I have an opportunity to fly into Rome at 8 pm and then fly home next day 2 pm. I read on this thread that the restaurants close at 3 in Rome. If that's true, it is probably not a city with a huge night life. Would a layover of this length - given that most of the time is night - be worth it. I also read the train takes 45 min from FCO to the city. So I would have to leave Rome by 11 am to get to the international flight back home at 2?
In other words, arriving in Rome by 9 and staying over night, waking early and going out to the city and leaving by 11 am... My interest is to eat in an authentic restaurant so I know that's a bit of travel, and seeing a few sights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.