Wiki Posts
Search

Advice appreciated 40th anniversary trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, HGVC, AA, UA
Advice appreciated 40th anniversary trip

We're trying to tie together loose ends for a 40th anniversary trip to Italy in September. We will fly into Venice on a Thursday and spend 2 nights, departing Saturday. On Saturday, take a train to possibly Siena or Chiusi to hopefully pick up a rental minivan (there are six of us) and travel to Serre di Rapolano for a 3 night stay. From there, on to the Cavalieri in Rome for a 5 night stay before returning home. (drop the minivan as soon as possible in Rome)
We did this trip 4 years ago, only in reverse, starting in Rome. It was just 2 of us then and we got a compact from Hertz at the Cavalieri. We dropped the car in Chiusi before taking the train to Venice.
Here's the help we could really use. Knowing we need a vehicle to haul 6 of us around, where would you recommend we take the train too? Chiusi? Siena? Someplace else? (to get the rental) Then, the last challange is where, close to the Cavalieri in Rome, to drop off the vehicle?
I hope I haven't been too confusing or long winded. Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I'm having an impossible time finding a minivan. Is our only option to rent two cars? I've seen a few minivans listed, but not available where we need to pick up somewhere in Tuscany. Is there a particular rental agency we would have a better time finding a minivan? Surely we can't be the only ones that have been in this situation. (6 people)

Last edited by Road King; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:41 am Reason: forgot something
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I've tried AutoEurope, Sixt, and others. I also tried Hertz (with a United coupon from F/T!) and got a slightly better rate! 2 compacts @ 150.78 Eur a piece all in. I've spent a number of hours researching and so far, this looks like the best deal. What do you guys think? Is it time to quit looking and just go with Hertz? The plus is, we can drop the car at the Cavalieri in Rome when we check in.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Have you tried AutoEurope? I think they could help with something like this.

Added:
I swear when I posted this, post #3 wasn't there so apologies for citing Auto Europe which you've checked. I saw on their web site that they can arrange RV rentals so I thought that a van for 6 would be possible.

Have you asked about pick up at a bigger location. I know that training to Siena would be close but often the smaller stations have limited options on cars (and if they guarantee you something, you'll pay for it as they will have to position in). Would pick up in Firenze or at FLR open up something?

Last edited by JMN57; Jan 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Found a van, buy it was over twice the cost of 2 cars. I guess I'll just stick with the cars. I'll continue to check when I have time, but ay least we've got something locked in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.