Wiki Posts
Search

Cinque Terre disaster - Vernazza & Monterosso nearly destroyed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Cinque Terre disaster - Vernazza & Monterosso nearly destroyed

Sad news from the Cinque Terre. Massive flooding there last Tuesday has essentially destroyed Vernazza and Monterosso. I just learned about it via Rick Steves' email newsletter. Lots of photos and more info for you there:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/trave...rre-floods.htm

So sad. I was in the Cinque Terre in March and stayed in Vernazza. What a beautiful town...and the townspeople were even more beautiful and kind.

I do hope they rebuild. I'd love to return to the warmth of that region again soon.

Bryan
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
This is terribly sad news. While Cinque Terre is irreplaceable, the entire Ligurian region is beautiful and I hope you will visit some of the other towns even if Monterosso and Vernazza are not fully rebuilt.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:44 pm

Liguria flooding

I live in Ovada (30 km from Genova). Do not go to this part of Italy. It is a disaster of major proportions. Several deaths today, landslides, etc. The deaths are weighing heavily on us all. I'm writing this as the river rises outside my home. The towns of Novi Ligure and Serravalle have been without drinking water today as the Scrivia river has flooded. I repeat to those of you headed to Cinque Terre, Genova and the surrounds - please change your plans, if possible. Aeroporto di Genova is closed. Godspeed to those in the zona. The rain shows no sign of letting up.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Please edit the title of this post, while the damage indeed appears severe it is far from "destroyed", as the links below indicate it's primarily an issue of things being covered in tons of mud and rock. It will take many months but the buildings are still standing and the towns are certainly intact.

http://savevernazza.com/?attachment_id=90

Last edited by DenverF9Flier; Nov 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
Please edit the title of this post, while the damage indeed appears severe it is far from "destroyed", as the links below indicate it's primarily an issue of things being covered in tons of mud and rock. It will take many months but the buildings are still standing and the towns are certainly intact.

http://savevernazza.com/?attachment_id=90
And your point would be what?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
That reading the title of the post felt like a punch in the gut when I thought of the most beautiful town I've ever had the pleasure to visit reduced to a pile of rubble. I felt intense relief after looking at the photos and seeing that while there is a lot of damage, the town is still there and it will recover, though it will take time. I will do my part by visiting again as soon as it's practical and putting money into the local economy.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:35 am

Cinque Terre up-date

We are bracing for more bad weather and a rise in the water levels coupled with higher than expected tides from the sea. Tonight and tomorrow will be very critical. Thank you for your support. We really do need people to not forget about us. This natural disaster(coupled with our un-natural disaster named Berlusconi) has resulted in unimaginable suffering. The death toll is at eight known and the damage to the infrastructure and economy is yet to be determined. When we recover, you will be graciously welcomed. Your kind thoughts are what we need now.

grazie - david

Last edited by chefdg1; Nov 6, 2011 at 9:37 am Reason: mis-spelling
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by chefdg1
This natural disaster(coupled with our un-natural disaster named Berlusconi) has resulted in unimaginable suffering.
While I'm a strong opponent of Berlusconi, it's really hard to understand how you can link this event to Berlusconi...
I believe you can rather add to the list of disasters the build-everything-everywhere&don't plan-ahead attitude of a number of citizens - yes, citizens, not only authorities. In Liguria and well as in any other area in Italy.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We've visited Cinque Terre three times over the past decade, and stayed a week on our most recent visit. I have been very saddened by the bad news and the possibility of more to come.

We're certainly thinking of you fine folks who live there. ^
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
very sad to see this event
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Anyone knows how's the situation right now? I'm planning to visit the area next week.
Hope things are much better now. So unfortunate to hear about the floods
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Any updates on how cleanup and repairs have progressed in Vernazza & Monterosso? I'm planning a trip for April, and may adjust my ideal itinerary if these two towns are full of construction sites & equipment.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by cbender
Any updates on how cleanup and repairs have progressed in Vernazza & Monterosso? I'm planning a trip for April, and may adjust my ideal itinerary if these two towns are full of construction sites & equipment.
Found this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-s...travel#s617227
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
http://savevernazza.com/

http://savevernazza.com/latestupdates/

http://savevernazza.com/vernazza-january-21-2012/
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by aggiebry
Sad news from the Cinque Terre. Massive flooding there last Tuesday has essentially destroyed Vernazza and Monterosso. I just learned about it via Rick Steves' email newsletter. Lots of photos and more info for you there:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/trave...rre-floods.htm

So sad. I was in the Cinque Terre in March and stayed in Vernazza. What a beautiful town...and the townspeople were even more beautiful and kind.

I do hope they rebuild. I'd love to return to the warmth of that region again soon.

Bryan

That's really sad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.